Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Announcing the NTAXS Winter Autocross Series

Default Announcing the NTAXS Winter Autocross Series

The North Texas Autocross Series (NTAXS) presented by the North Texas S2000 Owners Club (NTS2KOC) is proud to host a two-event Winter Autocross Series.

Both events will be held in the parking lot of Pennington Field in Bedford, TX.

The first event will be Sunday, January 17th. The second event will be Sunday, February 21st. Registration will open at 12 AM on Friday, January 1st and Friday, February 5th, respectively.

Unless otherwise stated, normal NTAXS rules and procedures apply to each event.

Entry fee is $30.00 per driver.

The event will be cancelled and registration fees will be refunded if any of the following occur:

- Less than 34 people have signed up by 9 AM CST on the Thursday before the event.
    - At 9 AM CST on the Thursday before the event, there is more than a 30% chance of rain forecasted for the event day.
    - At 9 AM CST on the Thursday before the event, the forecasted high temperature is less and 45 degrees Fahrenheit for the event day.

I will start new threads for each event closer to each event's date.

For the first event, we are going to use different courses for the AM and PM runs. Both courses will run in the same direction and use the same general path, but we will make changes that affect how you will approach and handle major elements and your direction through slaloms. The courses will be changed during the lunch break and participants will be told at the commencement of the lunch break when the course will be reopened for walking. We will also announce when the course will be closed for walking in order for us to begin the second half of the event. The course will be open to walk for at least 30 minutes.

Your event performance will be based on a sum of your best time from the morning runs and you best time from the afternoon runs. This is the same as SCCA Divisional and National Tour events, accept we will have AM and PM courses rather than Saturday and Sunday courses. If you end up enjoying the two-course format, then I highly recommend that you try either the National or Divisional events that will be hosted by the local SCCA chapter in 2010.

Driver

Man I hope it snows
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    - At 9 AM CST on the Thursday before the event, there is more than a 30% chance of rain forecasted for the event day.
    - At 9 AM CST on the Thursday before the event, the forecasted high temperature is less and 45 degrees Fahrenheit for the event day.
    Erm... a 30% chance of rain is actually a pretty low chance. Maybe increase to 40-50%?

As for the temp limit - what good is a winter series if you only run it in spring-like weather? 45 ain't cold!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Bah, too cold.
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Woohoo!

Erm... a 30% chance of rain is actually a pretty low chance. Maybe increase to 40-50%?

As for the temp limit - what good is a winter series if you only run it in spring-like weather? 45 ain't cold!
    I'm gonna have to agree with Iain on the rain. Not so much on the temp though. R-comps and for that fact, any decent street tire sucks in anything much below 50 degrees.
    C5 Base Daily Driven Beater
    Borrowed 1M
    (2017 B-Street Pro Solo Champion)

Jeremy Foley

In. Sounds like fun. Break out the long johns and ski wear...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by SixAce View Post
    In. Sounds like fun. Break out the long johns, ski wear, and all-seasons!
    Fixed.

When I left work today, it was 45 and raining. It was not pleasant. There is no way that I would attend an AX that felt like that. 45, yes, but not 45 and rainy.

Once we hold the event, then the money is burned. If we decide that 50% chance is fine and commit to an event on a cold day that turns out to be raining, then I still have to pay the site and insurance, even when everyone decides to just go home because it is too cold and rainy. That means you either pay for an event that everyone decided to dismiss or the club eats the cost of the event. Neither is a good outcome. Frankly, I should probably make it zero chance of rain.

Quote Originally Posted by ratt_finkel View Post
    I'm gonna have to agree with Iain on the rain. Not so much on the temp though. R-comps and for that fact, any decent street tire sucks in anything much below 50 degrees.
    I can definitely attest to the fact that driving J-Fo's car on R comps in 45-degree weather sucks.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Jimmy, thanks for the explanation. Makes sense to me, but I wonder if putting hard & fast limitations in there is necessary> How about something like "decision on the event will be made by 9am CST the preceding Thursday. If the weather forecast looks bad, the event will be canceled/postponed."

I'd hate to miss a chance to autox in January because the forecast was 65 with a 30% chance of rain, or something similar.
    Iain

I'd hate to miss a chance to autox in January because the forecast was 65 with a 30% chance of rain, or something similar.
    It is possible that we will end up going along with the event in a case like that. We'll just have to see how it shakes out.

PLEASE BE DRY!

I'm in. Its great that a club is willing to try at all. Lets promote this among our friends, since it will be the only game in town for 2 months. There must be at least 35 drivers out there who want to do some "test-and-tune" over the winter.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Today would be a great day for an autocross................

in south Florida.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

The 21st is my birthday so I'll be there will ballons tied to my car!

Oil Changer

Thanks for the EFFORT to get this together.
    I'll be there with as many Hudson's as possible.
    Should be close to 34 with just that.
    Cold OK down to 45. Rainy is just a long trip for nothing.
    Triple loop, a cross-over and a jump for at least a 60 sec. lap??

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    Today would be a great day for an autocross................ in south Florida.
    Is this a reference to the Dixie National???
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

sounds great, I will be there
    I learned this the hard way.....

Take all of your valuables out of your car at night. This includes taking the mounting hardware off of your windshield or dash and hiding the power supplies. I lost over $ 1,000 to a thief with no hope of recovering my items and to top if off they smashed my window in the rain and my truck got soaked. Let my loss be your learning experience.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Is this a reference to the Dixie National???
    I remember this one time at the Dixie National............oh wait, that wasn't me. Sorry.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast