Thread: Helmet Safety

Default Helmet Safety

Everyone:

I've been looking pretty hard at helmets, and I've noticed that a lot of manufacturers (like Simpson, with the LX and LX-N for example) offer the same helmet design in both Snell M2000 (motorcycle) and SA2000 (special applications) versions.

The SA2000 version is much more expensive. But as far as I can tell the only difference is that the SA2000 has a Nomex liner where the M2000 has a nylon liner. Am I reading this right?

I guess come to think of it there's very little chance of getting caught in a fire on a motorcycle; nylon next to your face in a fire would be B-A-D.

So if this is the case, I suppose there's next to no chance of fire autocrossing anyway, so why not just go with the M2000?

Hmmm... Opinions?

Chuck

From the pointy board:

Originally posted by Dave_W:
    "SA" stands for "Special Application" and indeed uses fire-resistant lining material. Both the M and SA certifications use impact tests against flat, hemispherical, and "edge" anvils. In addition, the SA uses an impact test against a "rollbar" anvil. For full details, see the Snell Memorial Foundation website.
    For strictly autocrossing, an open-faced "M" helmet should be just fine. For open track I'd want a full-faced SA helmet. In fact, even though I've already got an SA2000 Simpson Super Bandit, I'm thinking about buying one of the Bell Tourlite 2 M2000 helmets on sale here, both to have a more comfortable helmet for midsummer autocrossing, and to potentially sidestep any upcoming SCCA regulations concerning full-faced helmets and airbag equipped cars.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

So I suppose the questions are:

1) How likely will it be that I'll experience fire in autocrossing, and

2) How likely will I be to hit a rollbar?

I guess honestly the chances are pretty darn small for either.

I don't want to sacrifice safety for $$, but on the other hand it seems foolish to waste money on safety equipment for situations that are so uncomon.

I've only seen one non-open-wheel car do any damage to itself on course and it was an act of tremendous stupidity on the part of the driver. Has anyone actually seen a helmet get "used" in AX locally?

Chuck

Short of a fire in the car, it seems pretty unlikely that you would get injured while wearing an M helmet but not an SA. The price difference is considerable. If all you're doing is Solo II, an M helmet is probably sufficient. If you're the belt and suspenders type, go with an SA.

S.