Thread: Driving School recommendation for new drivers

Default Driving School recommendation for new drivers

Does anyone have a recommendation for driving schools for new drivers? Maybe the Audi school at TMS? Also I think Skip Barber does a weekend school for teen drivers. Any more?

I am doing The Drivers Edge driving school at Motorsport Ranch in 3 weeks. I was told that it was very good.

http://www.thedriversedge.net/

Not sure I'd want to turn a newbie teen driver out onto MSR!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I guess you are right.... I think I really miss-interpreted the need as for a driver new to performance driving, not new to any driving!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Second that. I'd probably recommend the PCA AX101 or an Evolution Phase I school. Both are geared towards autocrossing, but they deal primarily with car control at the limits, and teach in a much safer environment than a HPDE. The things your young driver will learn in either of those schools will help them have a better understanding of how their own car will react in an emergency situation.

Once they've got 6 months to a year of driving under their belt, an HPDE like Driver's Edge would probably be good for honing their skillset, but I think it would be a little overwhelming for a new license holder.

If you've got the money and the inclination, I think Skip Barber or Bondurant or some of the other big name schools offer multi-day courses aimed specifically at new teen street drivers, but I've no idea of the cost or locations of these particular schools.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Having done the a feature on the Audi/Panoz school and experiencing the school, I would highly recommend it for beginning drivers. They gear their teaching towards car control - way above and beyond what you would learn at a Sears or any such school. It's quite the challenge but well worth the time and money.

They won't cover competitive driving... but will cover all sorts of real world situations. You may not leave there a better AutoX specifically, but you will leave a better, more alert and aware driver.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    If you've got the money and the inclination, I think Skip Barber or Bondurant or some of the other big name schools offer multi-day courses aimed specifically at new teen street drivers, but I've no idea of the cost or locations of these particular schools.
    I did the Bondurant school a couple of years ago, and actually got to ride with Mr. Bondurant himself in a new, Cobra Series 1. That too, I would highly suggest.

i have heard that the audi school at tms isnt as good as other places, they arent allowed a very big space. last i was up there at least.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

This is for friends who have new 15-16 year old drivers. I should have been a little more clear. They would like to prevent this:

http://james.semoatvriders.com/Cras...Wreck1_9_04.wmv

Uh... you mean, click here
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I did the Bondurant school a couple of years ago, and actually got to ride with Mr. Bondurant himself in a new, Cobra Series 1. That too, I would highly suggest.

Namedropper

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell

Namedropper

Can you blame me on this one? It was one of the greatest thrills I've ever had... to have Mr. Bob Bondurant, one of the greatest drivers of all time, taking me for a high speed run on the TMS road course, in a Shelby Series 1. I was grinning from ear to ear for several months after this one.