Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $3,000 == Which Compact Pickup?

Default $3,000 == Which Compact Pickup?

I'm considering picking up a cheap used compact truck as an OTM (the wife drives a Saab, so this thing would get parked behind the garage and used for home improvement, backpacking trips, etc.). Budget is no more than $3,000.

What would you buy?

I'm currently thinking late-90s Ford Ranger. They seem pretty indestructible, and are very plentiful. Used Tacomas are pretty dear, and used Nissans all seem to be completely ragged out.

I know: it depends on the individual truck. I get that. But what should I be looking at, or looking for? I'd love something weird like an old Jeep Comanche, but they're hard to find.

S.

With your budget, I'd probably go with a Ford Ranger. I'd stay away from S-10s, as they tended to be pretty unreliable.

Of course, for $3k, you'll probably just have to settle for whatever you can find.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Old Japanese built Mazda B-Series are bullet-proof. Hard to find a clean one for cheap but it's a work truck. Work trucks don't need to look pretty. I had a 87 B2000 and only thing I replaced was the radio and the starter.

I have a 93 Nissan Hardbody I got cheap from my brother. Love it but wish it were a stick shift. The tranny slips a bit with 160k on the clock.

You could also look for an old Toyota or Isuzu pickup.

It sounds like you just need a light duty pickup for home improvement duties (Hauling material) so I'd stick with a early 90s Japanese truck while they were still built overseas. It may not be pretty but it will run and they're so basic, that they're simple to work on.

I love having a beater truck that I don't have to worry about.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I tend to agree with droptop's assessment of early 90's overseas built trucks...

If you're a masochist, though...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/56221898.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/55901205.html

I had one of the old Nissan Hardbodys... there was nothing I could do to that little red truck to kill it... I third the vote for an older Japanese truck.

DITTO! I had a great little Nissan...cheap, runs forever, cheap, and....did I say......cheap!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by droptop
    Old Japanese built Mazda B-Series are bullet-proof.
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you will!)... but weren't the old Mazda B-Series trucks actually Ford built Rangers rebadged? Or do I have it the other way around?
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I have a friend that has one of the old (read: late 80's) Toyotas. Beware that some parts really aren't readily available now, meaning that you're kinda hosed if it wears out (or is already worn out).

Are you looking for a compact for reasons other than price? I have to admit that having a full-size truck can be really handy. I'd never have thought much about it, but now that I have one I'd really miss it. Even though the F150 in the above link has a 6 cyl, the only thing that'll really affect is towing unless you're planning to haul bedfuls of sand or anvils or something.

And don't let price worry you. You may not get the most "popular" truck, but $3k buys a lot of vehicle. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to get something reliable and even fun.

Chuck

I ended up with a Civic hatch for my pick up truck. It hauls almost anything, and has a back seat if I need it. No workie for plywood though.

I'd go Nissan, or Toyota......
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Chassis Designer

I would not buy another Ranger / Mazda pickup!

I have owned 3.
    1. 1991 Ranger with a 2.9 v-6 -it did not nickel and dime me but it had either a defective head casting or a head gasket going bad because the coolant would only stay green for about a week.

2. 89 Ranger no really serious problems - poor build quality.

3. 1994 Mazda B3000 - exactly the same head gasket / dirty coolant problem as number one. This truck also has a hydraulic clutch system where the slave cylinder is installed inside the bell housing. Slave cylinders did not last long for me. I changed 2 of them.

Good luck in your search.

Sounds like good advice. Hardbody/Tacoma is probably the way to go. I drove a "Nissan Truck" (the official name) in college. It was absolutely bulletproof. Wish I'd never sold it. Sold it to buy a Miata, actually. Went from complete emotional detachment to complete obsession. Still obsessed. Not always sure that's a good thing!

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you will!)... but weren't the old Mazda B-Series trucks actually Ford built Rangers rebadged? Or do I have it the other way around?
    You're not thinking old enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    Mazda built their pickups through 1993. 1994+ are rebadged Fords.

Ford Courier pickups from the late 70s until the Ranger replaced it were rebadged Mazda trucks.

If you look for a Mazda pickup, get a B2000, B2200 or B2600i from 1986-1993.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

BTW, if you can find a pre-'95 (pre-Tacoma) Toyota pickup in your price range, I'd probably go with that. It will probably last forever, and if you've ever seen Top Gear, you'll know that it will likely even survive being washed out to sea or blown up in a building.

Besides, hundreds of thousands of insurgent groups around the world can't all be wrong. :P
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Besides, hundreds of thousands of insurgent groups around the world can't all be wrong. :P
    Unfortunately, there is a certain truth to that...

I remember, I always wanted that black Toyota 4x4 that Michael J. Fox's character had in Back To The Future... that was hot!

Something like this one.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I had a '83 Toyota 4x4 many moons ago. First new vehicle I ever bought! I drove the sh*t out of it and never broke it. (This one is not mine BTW..mine was 'Terra Cotta' color)

Pre 86' they still had a solid front axle. I'd love an 85' with 350 shoe horned in there.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I had a '83 Toyota 4x4 many moons ago.
    I'd love to find a black one just like that...
    SOMEBODY'S been watching their Back to the Future...

Chuck

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by ccage
    Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I had a '83 Toyota 4x4 many moons ago.
    I'd love to find a black one just like that...
    SOMEBODY'S been watching their Back to the Future...

Chuck
    The Toyota in Back to the Future was the next generation....like this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast