Thread: My Miata MX-4G Build

Chassis Designer

Default My Miata MX-4G Build

Hello,

My name is Justin. I am a gear head and would love to share my build with you fellow Turbo Miata guys. I am building a Turbo Miata, but not your typical turbo build. I am starting with a 1991 Miata. I plan on powering my Miata with a Mitsubishi 4G63T. I plan to use a GM or Toyota 6 speed transmission to transfer the power to the rear end. In the rear I am going to use a Ford 8.8 IRS Differential with Cobra half-shafts. I have not figured out which suspension set-up or brakes I will be using but I plan on doing those up nicely as well.

The car itself will be a stripped down road course car. It will receive a AWR Racing wide body kit so I may be able to run larger rubber to handle the power. I am installing a full roll cage as well. I plan to reinforcing the chassis as well by tying in the strut mounts and building an X brace for the bottom side of the car. I have debated on just going all tube up front and just might do so.

Here are some pics the car from when I started stripping it down.

I have since stripped it some more and have gathered up some parts needed for the build.

One thing I picked up was a roll cage from a wrecked Spec Miata down in Houston for $250. I will use it as the bases of my cage. Here are some pics of it.

More details and pictures will come as I progress. Right now, its just too damn cold for the Texas boy to be out working on anything, unless I am being paid for it.

All comments and suggestions are welcome. I will not always agree or take your advice, just a warning. I am open to listening and learning and deciding what I will do from there.

I hope everyone enjoys watching me build this car as much as I will enjoy building it.

Looks like a fun build. Keep us updated.

I've been wondering where you disappeared to. You need to fry a turkey again. I had a good time seeing your shop and eating the grub.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Good luck, Justin. Keep us posted.
    Alan

Chassis Designer

Been busy with family stuff and business issues. Moved twice and have had all kind of business matters to deal with over the last couple of years making finding time and money for cars quite hard. Time for me to have a little again now.

I really missed doing a GTG this past year and was hoping to make an annual thing out of it. I think I will do it again this year. I really enjoyed having everyone out.

I will keep this build fairly public as I progress. I hope you all enjoy.

neat idea i would like to see an ulralight na with mazdaspeed3 motor turned the right way.
    2005 Harkey-davidson lowrider
    2002 miata
    2009 klx250sf

Chassis Designer

I believe the Mazda 3 swap has been done. If I remember correctly the only issue is the cam gear sensor, which is on the back side of the head, wont clear the fire wall without cutting it or hammering it. I am sure there are cleaner ways of doing it and making it look nice but I believe that is what most people have done.