Thread: Goofy Exhaust...Need Opinions

Default Goofy Exhaust...Need Opinions

Ok guys, I need your opinion on this...

My miata (as I bought it) has a custom goofy ass center exhaust. At first I thought it was wierd but hey I was getting a killer deal on the car, then it sorta grew on me. Now im thinking that the pipe is way too small to look anything other than goofy, & in a car thats regarded by many as kind of ...this isnt really helping much.

Now I dont necessarily want to go back to stock because whoever did this did a clean job on it, & if not for the half inch pipe it might look cool.

So I need some advice/ideas/opinions on this.

Sorry if its hard to see, this is the only pic I have right now.

Its just basic no name muffler, & the piping is very small, im wondering if it might be choking the engine, so I kinda want to get an aftermarket muffler Now I saw a miata with a boxter S style dual center tipps, & it looked really nice, maybee I could do something like that. But my main concern with changing the muffler is I dont know what would be able to fit straight under the car like this one does.

Im going to try to get some under car shots of the whole exhaust this weekend so I can figure out what all is custom, I dont recall seeing a cat on there, so that may pose a problem with inspection.

Thanks guys...
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

It's hard to tell from my monitor... is the bumper cut for the new pipe, with the stock cutout filled?

The one great thing about a black car is you can get away with an unused cutout. Blemishes like this can almost apear to be a shadow.

MEGA

S.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

It looks like there's an R-package rear chin spoiler the exhaust is poking thru. Is that right Jiggerachi ?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    It looks like there's an R-package rear chin spoiler the exhaust is poking thru. Is that right Jiggerachi ?
    I was starting to think the same thing, but doesn't the chin spoiler rap around to the wheel? I don't see any sign of it near the wheel.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I was starting to think the same thing, but doesn't the chin spoiler rap around to the wheel? I don't see any sign of it near the wheel.
    On the side visible in that picture, there would be a separate piece. It splits where the exhaust would normally exit the rear bumper.

Exiting from the center is hard to change. But a Miata with a cool sounding exhaust sure makes for top down fun. It just gets down to what you want to spend $$$ wise for a solution. Team CB route would be to put a MME sticker over the current hole and find a used stock system.

Some of the Dual exhaust system sound real nice with the top down.
    Miata Exhaust Sound Page

If you need a full system you can contact some of the spec Miata owners on this site. They might have a complete system (including the )

As far as I can tell thats just part of the stock bumper. There is a hole cut through the bumper, & there is a ring that is riveted into the bumper, around the pipe. The old hole is filled with a piece of plastic.

Sorry the pic sucks, when I took that, it looked fine on my monitor, I guess its just really bright...

So what do you guys think I can do with this, to get rid of the
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    Sell the Civic!

heyyyyy...

My fiance drives the civic now anyway...I think that takes care of it

1. Remove plastic from former bumper cut and install a quality aftermarket exhaust (RB, FM, etc.)

2. Find a way to fill the hole. My vote would probably be a red reflector cut to the shape of the hole. Yeah, it's not the best solution (that would be a new bumper) but it wouldn't look awful.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    First off, I wouldn't take any crap from anyone.

The first day I drove my first Miata into the office I caught that from one of the hosers there -- "Uhhh.. That's a gay car huh huh. Uh.." My answer:

a) I don't need a dick extension vehicle.

b) I like it and could probably whip your broke-ass Firebird on virtually any course (assuming you could get it running long enough), and

c) Why are you homophobic anyway? Get a life!

Seriously, if you like the exhaust -- keep it! And if you think something like a Boxster-style twin-tip would be cool, jump in and figure out how to do it. It doesn't seem like it'd be all that difficult. You'd be surprised what they can put together at the moffler shop if you're friendly and ask.

We all have different views as to what's cool and what's not in terms of modifying our Miatas, but wouldn't you think this board should be the one place you DON'T have to hear the harassment?

Chuck

Hehe, its not that I hear anything about the exhaust being , just in my oppinion it looks goofy as hell. Im just asking for ideas here. Believe me ive had to say almost those exact things to my friends, or just take them for a ride & let the car do the talking

Actually I think for right now I might get my brothers sawzall & hack the ugly tip off, flush with the bumper. That way you wont rellly see it...untill I can come up with somehting better.

I just took a look under there & it looks to be all stock up to the muffler itself, so maybee I could get a stock one or a borla, or something like that...ill figure that out later.