Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, everyone. (fresh meat)

Default Hi, everyone. (fresh meat)

My name is Rob, and I'm new to Texas in general. I moved here from Florida back in September-ish 2009 (oops on the 2010). I moved out to Euless, but the wifey (read: girlfriend) and I just bought a house in Haslet - we actually just moved in 2 weeks ago. I lived in a few places around Orlando for a year, few places around Syracuse, NY for a few years before that, spent ~22 years in NJ. Man I miss CNY and NJ backroads! But enough about that..

Some kid (sorry, forget his name) just pulled up to the house the other day when he saw my car in the driveway, and he told me about this site. He had a silver NB with red stripes that looked to be in great shape. He said he's had the car for just a few weeks. Maybe someone knows him? I didn't see anything looking like it came from him. EDIT: Possibly brandonmpace?? Sorry for throwing you under the bus already.

I telecommute to Florida Monday through Friday, unless Charter wants to make crappy cable connections again, so then I only commute Monday through Thursday. Yeah yeah, long intro post...

My car: Silver 1990. Bought it back in 2003 with 34k miles on it, just rolled 98k on the drive from the apartment to the new house. I don't have any current pics, so you'll have to use your imagination - Silver NA, typical rust in the driver's 1/4 panel, 16x7.5" brake-dust-bronze SSR Comps, fairly large wheel gap (stupid driveway), padded HardDog SomeThing SomeThing HardCore rollbar, smoked front and side lenses, dirt/roadgrime from 10k+ unwashed miles, FL plate, WBO2 LCD in the rearview mirror...pretty standard stuff really.

So yeah, hi :wavy:
    Last edited by Rob®; 03-29-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Greetings and welcome to Texas! Thanks for making me laugh in your first post.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Welcome! to this, and the neighborhood.

I just fixed some of that rust on a NJ '91 Silverstone.

Have you tried the BBQ at Lee's yet? (its the little hole in the wall across the tracks from the library)

I'm just up FM156, so if you get O\ O\ It probably was me. :wave:

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome aboard and to Texas! Since you're up in Haslet, this weekend would be a perfect opportunity to meet some Miata folks.

Have you ever autocrossed that Miata?
    http://www.dfwmiata.com/showthread.p...eedway-Bus-Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post

I just fixed some of that rust on a NJ '91 Silverstone.

Have you tried the BBQ at Lee's yet? (its the little hole in the wall across the tracks from the library)

YES to the Lee's!! We stopped there one of the weekends we were running back and forth trying to set this place up. We both grew up in NJ, so we love hole in the wall eateries...we both HAD to stop there. Glad we did.

Bodywork is the one thing I never got into..if you want to fix some more NJ 1/4 panel rust, I'd love to help with that It's actually not nearly as bad as others I've seen. I had to replace the entire panel when I put the car into a wall at The Glen. The bodyshop apparently did not want to open the drain hole afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Have you ever autocrossed that Miata?
    http://www.dfwmiata.com/showthread.p...eedway-Bus-Lot

Yes, a few times. I don't like it to be honest. I'm a track guy. I actually sold my Z32 after a quite extensive build, just because I was afraid to put it into a wall on track. Not even a week later I picked up this Miata...had the suspension and wheels before I had the keys. Isn't that how it's supposed to happen though?

If I'm allowed out for a bit, I might stop by just to get out and about.

Here, older pics:

Autocross in the freezing rain - I now have less paint on my doors from removing the tape when a friend co-drove

Autocross in Syracuse, NY at the Z Convention a few years ago

Pocono Raceway, not even a month after I got the car (and installed the bar, suspension, wheels, brakes, etc)
    Last edited by Rob®; 03-29-2010 at 08:49 AM.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Welcome. Both to the forums and Texas. There are tons of things to do with your Miata around here. Enjoy.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by Rob® View Post
    ...I moved here from Florida back in September-ish 2010...
    Welcome to the future
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Nice Silverstone!
    Yes, I can fix that.
    If you need anything else click the link below.

You will certainly need to go to Hallett with us.
    http://hallett.arkansasmiataclub.com/

I haven't been to Hallett in years. I've been chomping at the bit to get out there again - any track really. Just need to button a few more things up on the car first (front 2 exhaust manifold studs refuse to stay in no matter how many different manifolds I make...last time they took out the head threads, so heli-coils are in my future ).
    Last edited by Rob®; 03-29-2010 at 09:36 AM.

Welcome to the board.....

Now wheres my meat! I thought someone was throwing a party with burgers and steaks
    Blah blah blah!

Oh, my apologies to everyone - I just saw the Honda requirement. Luckily I just picked up a freebie the other day:

If anyone happens to have an ignitor that will work, I'm sure my neighbors would greatly appreciate it: Spot-weedwhacking will only work so long.

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    Welcome to the board.....

Now wheres my meat! I thought someone was throwing a party with burgers and steaks

I have a double-sized brand new grill...someone brings dead animals, someone else brings something to wrap said dead animals in, and I'll supply fire.

Welcome to the West side of the Metromess. There's usually a get together on Wednesday nights. Now that the weather is getting nicer it's typically held at Keller's on NW Highway. Fun to hangout outside and chat with a bunch of other Miata folks from the forum. Just watch the forum, somebody (er, um... TrickyRix) will normally herd everyone and organize the place/time.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA
    99 Triple Black NB "Dimples"

Quote Originally Posted by Keifersmith View Post
    it's typically held at Keller's on NW Highway.

Engrish? Remember, I just moved here...and I work from home - I know my street name and I can probably remember how to get to the nearest Walmart. "Keller's on NW Highway" means as much to me as "mauve or purple?"

And yes, my Google is broken. I blame Charter. But I'm new, you should give me a fish or two :)

Welcome. I also long for some of those roads in NJ and CT. I spent 5 yrs in CT and 5 in NJ. Actually bought my NA in Red Bank in 1989.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Engrish? Remember, I just moved here...and I work from home - I know my street name and I can probably remember how to get to the nearest Walmart. "Keller's on NW Highway" means as much to me as "mauve or purple?"
    Excuse them city folk, you can run my 6 into town.
    If i go, I roll out about 6pm to miss the metromess traffic.

Sounds good to me, Rogue. I shot you an email an hour or so ago, BTW (to the one listed on your site, not this one).

Some kid (sorry, forget his name) just pulled up to the house the other day when he saw my car in the driveway, and he told me about this site. He had a silver NB with red stripes that looked to be in great shape. He said he's had the car for just a few weeks. Maybe someone knows him? I didn't see anything looking like it came from him. EDIT: Possibly brandonmpace?? Sorry for throwing you under the bus already.
    Yeah that was me. Welcome to the forum!
    '01 Miata. Silver/Red Stripes. HDHCDD
    '13 Mazda2. Spirited Green.

Cool. Thanks for pointing this place out to me.

You make it home OK with that cable end? Replace it yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast