Thread: BossFrog?

Default BossFrog?

http://www.bossfrog.biz/Miata_Performance.html

Are any of the first 3 items on this page worth getting?
    I was considering the Frog Arms and Frog Ribs.
    I know this is kind of an opinion-related thing, but I was looking at possibly getting sway bars in the future, when this caught my eye. I like the feel of my car but it would be nice to have a more stable feel. Let me know what your thoughts are
    '01 Miata. Silver/Red Stripes. HDHCDD
    '13 Mazda2. Spirited Green.

Will any of that stuff work on an NB? All the instructions are for an NA.

If it was me I'd be spending money on shocks and a larger front sway bar, but it all depends on what you want to do with the car.

Blog Entries

The "frog arms" reinforce the crumple zone of the car. This area is critical for energy absorption in a front impact. The "frog ribs" are new to me but they look like it would make getting in and out of the car difficult. That being said, I have a boss frog clearview roll bar and a harness bar. The fit and finish are excellent and the quality overall is very high. The two of them made the car feel a lot more solid. The only thing that rattles now are the harness adjusters hitting the bar.
    IMHO neither of the first two items you referred to are a good idea in a street car. The frame rails look like a rip off of the FM system. I know this will offend a lot of people but these "frame rails" are nothing of the sort. They are only reinforcement for the floor panels as they are not tied into any other structural members of the monocoque frame. More weight, more slower. Just look at me.
    Last edited by creek; 03-21-2010 at 10:28 PM.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

That does make sense to leave the crumple zone as long as it's a street car.
    This may sound like an odd combo to attempt to achieve, but I want to slowly work this car over to an autocross/track/drift car(just once in a while for fun, not comp. drifting).
    Mostly just a fun car for me, but like I said, I'll be doing this over time because I want to learn to drive the car like it is, then start changing stuff.
    '01 Miata. Silver/Red Stripes. HDHCDD
    '13 Mazda2. Spirited Green.

Blog Entries

If you are going to track the car a roll bar is a must. Even if not required at a particular event. If you want something from Boss Frog that is a good place to start. Otherwise, suspension is first, like Mick said.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    The "frog arms" reinforce the crumple zone of the car. This area is critical for energy absorption in a front impact.
    I'm with creek on this one. I would not mess with the crumple zone on a street driven car.
    Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    The frame rails look like a rip off of the FM system. I know this will offend a lot of people but these "frame rails" are nothing of the sort. They are only reinforcement for the floor panels as they are not tied into any other structural members of the monocoque frame. More weight, more slower. Just look at me.
    Say what you will, but I was shocked at the reduction in rattles and how much smoother railroad track crossing were after my FM rails went on. I also recall a certain local vendor ordering multiple sets after seeing the improvements they made, despite his discomfort in ordering and using a competitor's product.

The frame rails tie into each other with the butterfly brace and do make a noticeable difference. Get the roll bar if you don't have one then get some seat time.

I agree with the roll bar. After installing mine, I decided that the frame rail / butterfly brace wasn't needed.
    1992 with JR intake and RB header

I think we can offer some suggestions.
    Give me a call at Track Dog Racing.
    William - 214-349-6000
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Rollbar should be the first thing you install. http://www.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?16665 Even if you never track the car. I agree with what has been previously said about the frog arms and ribs. If it were me, for what the arms and ribs cost I would put that money towards first a decent coilover set to get the car down closer to the ground and firm up the ground response then a larger tubular front sway to help diminish that body roll. Then get a alignment done somewhere that has a in ground alignment rack. There are several decent alignment specs you can use as a start. I liked Emelio's from 949 racing but others seem to have good results with the Ice or the Mig alignments you can find at Miata.net garage. Give the tech's your specs and request to sit or have the car ballasted with your comparable weight for the alignment. If they refuse go somewhere else. Good luck and enjoy the drive.
    I drive to fast to worry about my cholesterol.

+1 for roll bar first...

If you find you want door bars later, take a look at the Hard Dog pieces. They look far sturdier and I don't think they're nearly as intrusive as the Frog Ribs look. Of course, you'll have to buy a Hard Dog roll bar, but those are easy to come by in these parts.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

i ignored all post after op

roll bar first or roll bar and door bars at the same time. http://www.bethania-garage.com/door_bar.htm hard dogs door bars are cheaper and frame rails down do much, the door bars are a better buy but if you still want rails http://www.boundaryengineering.com/framerails.php they cost a few $ more but free shipping makes then cheaper and Travis is a independent so support the little guy.

Before I even bought my MSM the roll bar was one of the first thing that was sitting inside my garage. Having read all the stories about convertible flipping over, I thought a nice sturdy roll bar is money well spent.