Thread: 2005 "Street Tire" autocross options

Default 2005 "Street Tire" autocross options

So... I'm perusing my options, and thought some of you guys might like to participate in the old thought processes here. I'll start with a run-down of the options... Mods may feel free to update this post if I don't first.

Azenis RT-215
    Size: 205/50-15
    Diameter: 23.1
    2nd gear: 56 mph

Size: 215/45-16 - $525
    Diameter: 23.5
    2nd gear: 58 mph

Kumho Ecsta MX
    Size 205/50-15

Falken GRB FK-451 - 16 inch only - probably require shaving
    Size 205/45-16

Size: 215/40-16 - $81 each from Vulcan!
    Diameter: 22.8
    2nd gear: 54 mph

Azenis RT-615 - Whenever they get here...
    Diamater: 23.2
    2nd gear: 56.5 mph

Size: 205/40-16 - $405
    Diamater: 22.6
    2nd gear: 53 mph

Yokohama Advan Neova - Whenever they get here and $$$$...
    Size: 205/45-16
    Size: 195/50-15

Hankook RS-2 Z212 - Whenever they get here...
    Size: 195/50-15
    Size: 205/45-16 - $396
    Size: 215/45-16 - $404

According to Article 11, Section D.6 of the Equipe Rapide Challenge Cup Rules and Regulations, the Hankook Z211 was specifically disqualified as a Street Tire. I'm pretty sure ER follows the SCCA's lead in most of it's rules and regulations, so I'm guessing the Hankook Z211 is also not allowed -- as a Street Tire -- at SCCA events. So, if the Hankook RS-2 Z212 is the successor to the Hankook Z211, it will probably follow that it will also be disqualified as a Street Tire.

I don't know what -- or if -- you plan to run at SCCA or ER events (TCSP?), but you might want to consider that in making your tire choice. The rest of the tires you listed seemed OK.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Z211 = R Compound
    Z212 = 160 Treadwear non-R compound Azenis competitor

Well... Due to some good fortune on my part, I have a lovely set of Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212's in 215/45-ZR16 mounted up and awaiting a good scrubbing in once the wind dies down a bit this evening...

They're meaty. Sidewall stiffness (at least in my super-secret tire mounting guy's opinion) is about the same as the Azenis. Sidewall stiffness from the driver's seat is percetably softer on the Ventus, but they're certainly not "squishy" - molded depth is 8.5/32.

I'll try to get them broken in before Sunday.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

iirc the treadwear must be 200 or above for street tire class....maybe someone will chime in and refresh my memory

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDRACER
    iirc the treadwear must be 200 or above for street tire class....maybe someone will chime in and refresh my memory
    140 or above, actually. The RS-2's are apparently 200/AA/A in my size.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

So TC - what made you choose this particular tire? I've never heard of it, although I must admit as an R compound junkie I don't keep up with competitive street tires as much.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    So TC - what made you choose this particular tire? I've never heard of it, although I must admit as an R compound junkie I don't keep up with competitive street tires as much.
    Fan of the underdog? Actually, I got an offer I couldn't refuse for this set.

However, they appear to be great tires. We'll see how they perform against the new Azenis (since my friendly neighborhood Discount Tire should be getting mine in just any old time now...) in terms of all-out grip, longevity, etc.

My earlier impression was incorrect, btw... the sidewalls are just as stiff as the Azenis RT-215. Wheel/Tire on the scale is 32.3 lbs compared to 35.5 for Azenis RT-215s in the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Wheel/Tire on the scale is 32.3 lbs compared to 35.5 for Azenis RT-215s in the same size.
    That's the only real complaint about the Azenii -- too heavy. (OK, they also get a little noisy as they age, but don't we all? . Anyway, I'll be interested to follow your impressions over the next year or so...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)