Thread: FM Spring Install

Default FM Spring Install

As mentioned before, the install went great (thanks in no small part to a lot of help from 3bean). The best part was not needing a spring compressor to install the new springs on the KYB shocks! Note the difference in free length:

Several of you have requested before/after shots... I could have matched angles better if I'd waited for a planetary alignment, but here they are...

Front view:

Rear view:

Gratuitous shot of carbon fiber bling:

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Sweet! Very nice!

TC, any power gain with the new intake?
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong
    Probably. Butt dyno says it pulls harder from 5500-6500, and it's much stronger from 6500-fuel cut off.

Opening the throttle above 3500 will attract the attention of the local constabulary, though, so don't say I didn't warn you about the extra noise. Sounds like my Miata swallowed a pissed-off Subaru. Heh.

Car looks good, how's the ride/handling?
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Low ride r get a a little low er
    wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa

Lokks great, how is the ride and handling?
    99 Miata Black

Me rikey! :)
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by OzCop
    Car looks good, how's the ride/handling?
    Ride is better over most surfaces. Small bumps/seams are much smoother, but a very few large dips are a bit harsh.

Handling rocks. No more wheel hop (not that I light up the rears on public streets or anything). Bump steer during hard cornering is gone. No brake dive. It's also much easier to "feel" the grip at each corner when approaching the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong
    Probably. Butt dyno says it pulls harder from 5500-6500, and it's much stronger from 6500-fuel cut off.

Opening the throttle above 3500 will attract the attention of the local constabulary, though, so don't say I didn't warn you about the extra noise. Sounds like my Miata swallowed a pissed-off Subaru. Heh.
    Which intake is that? What are the differences between the 99+ intakes and the NA8 intakes?

The intake is a Monsterflow from Goodwin Racing...

They make one for the NA, but fitment isn't quite as clean.

Sweeeeeet! Lower, meaner, better performance, and a better ride to boot. Pretty much a no lose situation! Any thoughts of a header?

I think I'm going to forego my Sport conversion, and just jump to the FMs... following in your footsteps! I hate going to CSP, but I'm equally tired of being so restricted in what I can do with my car.

Why did you pick FMs instead of Racing Beats?
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    I think I'm going to forego my Sport conversion, and just jump to the FMs... following in your footsteps! I hate going to CSP, but I'm equally tired of being so restricted in what I can do with my car.

Why did you pick FMs instead of Racing Beats?
    The FM vs Racing Beat vs Tein choice was pretty easy... The other ones are too soft for the realized height of the car. The RB/Tein springs are a ~28% stiffness increase over stock and produce the same 12.2/12.7 F/R ride height as the FM springs. The FM springs are a 100% increase in stiffness over stock. Softer means you're either a: in the bump stops or b: cut the bump stops and having interference issues.

I highly recommend dropping by and taking my car for a spin to "feel" the way the stiffer springs impact ride quality.

As far as headers... Yeah... shuhart1 needs to let us know how his modification to the Racing Beat header turned out (for allowing future installation of a super charger), but that's the one I'm leaning toward.

And what new clutch / flyware you going to install? I mean, you are going to upgrade those before popping in that SC, aren't you?

Can you tell I'm really liking you car's setup?
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Hey, that looks exactly like my Monsterflow and coolbox...I gotta go look under my hood later on
    I would like to add the same shocks and springs to my car. Can you pm me the info on where to buy and how hard it was.
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    And what new clutch / flyware you going to install? I mean, you are going to upgrade those before popping in that SC, aren't you?

Can you tell I'm really liking you car's setup?
    That'll be a while... When the clutch goes, I'll replace it with a beefier unit. People tell me I'm vague...

On the advice of our resident expert, I'm swaying toward the JR header now... You guys really do need to quit encouraging me to spend money.