Thread: First Member Day At ECR

Default First Member Day At ECR

And I was the only car on the track. There was only one bike too. Perfect day, sunny, very little wind, not too hot. Set a new PR @ 2:06.3 down from a previous 2:07.8. Very happy. Anyway here's the vid. Where am I leaving time on the track? I want a 2:05.x! I know the car is more than capable but the driver still needs lots of work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI01M9AJ85g

P

Driver

Not an expert by any means and I forget my corner numbers at ECR, but the sequence of corners starting at 0:20 seem to be off the "line" (shallow, you can see you correcting in there, not using the entire track to carry more speed into the downhill before the right into the longish straight). The turn at 0:50 is also a bit shallow (you hit the curbing well ahead of the cone there). The uphill right hander @ 1:35 turn in is very tight and at the end of it I saw you steer to the track out rather than drifting out to it.

2:06.3 is a really good time at ECR. Congrats! How much power is your car making?

Ditto what Sean said about turn 10. You should be on the power there well before the apex, and you should be drifting all the way to the track out if you do it right.

Get all the way to the left coming out of 3. You should make one big arc back to the left form the apex of 3 all the way to the left side of the track before you turn right down the hill for 4. This allows you to carry more speed down the hill.

Brake later. I'm guessing your car does not have ABS? You seem to check up half a second or so before really getting hard on the binders at the end of the straights. If you don't have ABS and you never feel brake lockup on the track, you're not pushing hard enough. If you've got ABS and you never feel the pedal pulse. you're leaving time out there. I'm not saying you should be in the ABS on every corner, but you've got to overstep the limits once or twice in order to feel comfortable with taking the car right up to them.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks for the tips guys. Firstly, the car was making 215 when Gary had it three owners ago so I'm assuming it's somewhere in that range.

It doesn't have abs and I lock up, usually my right front pretty often. Especially when I first got it coming from an ABS car. Flat spoted my tires. Ouch. So now I'm probably over cautious.

I'll try tracking out farther on T4. I had Jason Hart as an instructor one day and he was having me track half way out going into T4. Seemed faster. But, I'm always looking for more speed and I'll give tracking all the way out a try and see if I'm faster.

T10 you're right I should be on the gas earlier. I had big spin there a few laps later trying that very thing. The spin was probably from a different driver error other than too much gas. Probably jerky driver input.
    Last edited by MINI-P; 04-11-2010 at 10:49 AM.

Also, I'll post up before I go out next time see if anyone can go. Be a little less lonely. I think it's $150 for a guest with track experience to drive. You get 6-8 sessions. Actually, you just go out anytime the bikes aren't on the track. Pretty laid back.
    Last edited by MINI-P; 04-11-2010 at 10:51 AM.

I would love to join you the next time you are out there. TDR has my recently purchased widebody miata right now doing some final tuning and then I need to get it out on the track for the first time to work out the bugs

Pat,
    Really good lines, at least from my perspective. In T4, I go about 3/4 to track left, full throttle!! I split the difference between Jason and Iain. I want to give you super props for T7. Most people EARLY APEX that corner. You hit T7 perfect!!! As for T10, do you left foot brake? I did not listen to see if you changed gears or just braked. I am hard into that corner with a left brake and ease of throttle a bit. Otherwise, good run and congrats on your PR for ECR!!!!

Thanks. I haven't tried the left foot on the brake yet. I have a hard enough time not flat spotting my tires with my other left foot. I shift to 4th coming out of T8 and then down to 3rd for T9 and I leave it in 3rd for T10 and shift to 4th around the track out cone if I remember right. I may be a gear up from you since I have the super charger. For me T7 is all about setting up for T8. If I get too far right coming out of T7 I have to brake for T8 if I LATE apex T7 then I just lift a bit then back to throttle. I bet a better driver could go through there without lifting. Same with T4. I always lift just a bit. Can't make my foot stay down there. Hope to see you back out at the track soon. How's the new baby?

In addition to setting a new PR in time, I also set a new PR in spins. I had my first two spin day. The spin in T10 could have been bad if there would have been other cars on the track as I end up going backwards right at the track out cone.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBa3XPGe7LM

Quote Originally Posted by MINI-P View Post
    Thanks. I haven't tried the left foot on the brake yet. I have a hard enough time not flat spotting my tires with my other left foot. I shift to 4th coming out of T8 and then down to 3rd for T9 and I leave it in 3rd for T10 and shift to 4th around the track out cone if I remember right. I may be a gear up from you since I have the super charger. For me T7 is all about setting up for T8. If I get too far right coming out of T7 I have to brake for T8 if I LATE apex T7 then I just lift a bit then back to throttle. I bet a better driver could go through there without lifting. Same with T4. I always lift just a bit. Can't make my foot stay down there. Hope to see you back out at the track soon. How's the new baby?
    Pat,
    The baby girl is THE GREATEST GIFT FROM GOD AND AN ABSOLUTE PLEASURE!!!! She is sleeping through the night and really starting to baby talk up a storm. On left foot braking, that is the single most substantial adjustment you can make. Practice everytime you are in your car. Even if it is an automatic. You will gain the tactile function needed to help you on the track.

Baby girls are awesome! Mine's 4 now and has grown up too fast. I'll give the left foot a try tootling around town for awhile and see if I can get the feel for it. I can see how it'd be a handy skill to have. Sure feels weird though.