Thread: A/C system help

Default A/C system help

I had the system vacuumed down and installed a new drier/accumulator. When I recharged the system I get good pressure readings on the high side when the system is cycled on but zilch on the low side. Also when the system switches off the low pressure gauge goes outside of the gauges reading range. These are some Quest gauges the low side gauge only reads to 100psi and the hi side gauge reads to 500.

The readings I'm getting when the system switches on is the low side quickly goes down to 0 PSI on the gauges and the High side reads between 225 and 275 depending on engine speed. When the system cycles off the high side gauge drops to probably 200 ish and the low pressure side quickly goes over the max reading on the guage of 100 psi.

Thanks for any help guys. I can't find anything on the web anywhere that can tell me what is going on in this situation.

It sounds like from what I just found that the expansion valve could be stuck however I can't seem to find even a picture of this part to see what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by jeepinbanditrider; 04-12-2010 at 03:04 PM.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Chassis Designer

Have you tried www.aircondition.com? They have some tutorials for helping folks like me (less than journyman-status) figure out A/C gauge readings.

I found a "barney style" PDF that helped me out a lot. I think i've got it figured down to a stuck expansion valve causing vacuum reading on the low side port. I'm going to check out the site you posted also I need all the help I can get lol.

barney..jpg
    Last edited by jeepinbanditrider; 04-13-2010 at 12:56 PM.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    I found a "barney style" PDF that helped me out a lot. I think i've got it figured down to a stuck expansion valve causing vacuum reading on the low side port. I'm going to check out the site you posted also I need all the help I can get lol.
    Yup... most likely a clogged expansion valve.. you might have gotten a very small piece of dirt in there when you had the system open to replace the receiver/dryer.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I think it may have been bad before I did that. I didn't put gauges on it till after the dryer replacement which is when I noticed the vacuum pulling on the low side.

One of the problems I've been having which I hope is being caused by the expansion valve is that the system clicks on for a short time probalby 5 mins then shuts off for about the same ammount of time. When the system was running it was cooling well but during the long ammount of time that it is shut down it get's damned hot in the passenger compartment.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

It F'in works lol. Got the expansion valve in recharged the system and insta cold air. Now I'm not going to dread driving this thing during the day this summer
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive