Thread: BBQ

Thumbs up BBQ

For anyone that has made the trip to Llano, Tx. you probably have heard of Coopers BBQ. And some that go more often than not have noticed that Coopers isn't what it used to be.

Well a couple of years ago Coopers had changed ownership and the cook/chef/prep person had left to start his own business.

That business is called Opie's BBQ in Spicewood, Tx.

I was there this weekend and wow, best BBQ i've had in quite some time.

Click here to see where Opies is on a map
    Blah blah blah!

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    For those that don't click the link, I'll give you a hint: It's not in the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from there

Not too bad, right outside of Austin.

Anybody tried Big Racks BBQ here in Grapevine? I was going to go today but a friend talked me into going to Bone Daddy's. Big Racks is in the old Cutie Pies location.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Here is a linkie to a quality BBQ review site- mostly for Texas, but he gets around. You can search for BBQ places you know to find there reviews. Or, checkout a map to see if there is one on your way somewhere.
    He recently wrote the the BBQ article in D Magazine and is a friend of mine.

Enjoy- http://www.fullcustomgospelbbq.com/

They are good. I stop there if I take 71 out to the Hill Country.

They hooked me up on a Friday night right before they were closing. They charged us $15 for a bunch of stuff if we didn't eat there, it was probably worth >$40 if we would've bought it out right.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

I'll have to try Opie's next time I'm down that way. I've been to Cooper's in Llano, but it was years ago - long before the change in ownership.

BTW, the Cooper's over in Fort Worth ain't bad, but it can get pricey. Their brisket is very good (arguably better than Angelo's), and probably the best bang for the buck if you order a lean cut. I want to go back and try the Big Chop to see how it compares to old Cooper's...
    Last edited by trickyrix; 04-12-2010 at 02:07 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds