Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheels and tires again

LOL Kewl.
    99 Miata Black

I am going to buy that switch next week.

also I have been looking at tires on Tirerack.com and I have noticed that a lot of you guys like the Azenis, I am not looking to do AutoX any time in the near future Would the Azenis hold up treadwise to daily driving?
    and be sticky in wet and dry conditions?
    I mean I know what I read on their board but would take ya'lls advise over thiers.
    I am pretty much sold on getting a pair just wanna be sure I am making the right choice til I am able to start with the upgrades.
    99 Miata Black

For daily driving, I would probably go with Yokohama AVS ES-100s. I'd rather have something else, but a bunch of us have bought them and all agree that they're tolerable. We'd rather have something else, though. If you want to buy my extra set of 16 inch rims for the low low price of $500, in which case, I'd probably lean toward the Falken GRB FK451s. No sizes smaller than 16, though. Figure on $420 for a set of the Falken's mounted and balanced.

The Azenises can hydroplane on wet concrete, but otherwise perform great in the wet. However, they're really stiff and can exaggerate other weaknesses in your suspension. They're also a bit nervous/twitchy for my taste for street driving. Great for autocross, though. Did I mention they're also heavy? About 24 pounds in 15 inch...

Any "summer" tire will suck when it's both cold and wet outside. Most are "ok" when it's just one or the other.

The cheapo Hankook K106s I bought are actually proving to be surprisingly nimble, smooth and sticky. However, they are almost as noisy as T1-S in terms of road noise, and they will chirp noisily during straight line shenanigans. I was just taking off the mold-release compound. Honest, officer. Don't know how cheap they are for 15" rims...

Lots of people swear by the Toyo T1-S. Haven't driven them on a Miata myself, but I found them a touch noisy on other cars. I think kestrel agrees with the noise issue on the Miata. But, they're cheap, and a name brand.

Kewl thanks, I read a lot of bad reviews on the Kuhmo ECSTA Supra 712 which I was looning at first, too bad not a bad price.
    I dont thinkn I will be going with 16' rims I aint got that kinda money to spend that regularly (as tires need to be replaced) I will check out the
    Yoko ES 100's.
    Thanks again

p.s. I was also looking at the Fuzion ZR1 has anyone used these and have any comments?
    99 Miata Black

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12