Thread: NB HID Conversion?

Default NB HID Conversion?

The HID conversion kits are getting cheaper by the day. Anyone has expereice in the DIY HID conversion? The FleeBay kits run around $40 and up. I doubt they are any good. For the better kits they are less than $200 for both the high and low beams. Half of the driving I do is in the dark and the 99 headlight is the worse of all the NBs. I like hear any comment and/or suggestion.
    Gabriel

Get the late model nb projectors first before you do hid's or else you will just be blinding everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by aalvarez04 View Post
    Get the late model nb projectors first before you do hid's or else you will just be blinding everyone.
    That is what I thought. Thanks! I guess I just saved myself a couple hundred bucks. I am sure something on the car will break next month!
    Gabriel

I had one of the eBay kits before a jackass on a cellphone took them out. (Crash) They worked great and quality seemed top notch. YMMV.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    I had one of the eBay kits before a jackass on a cellphone took them out. (Crash) They worked great and quality seemed top notch. YMMV.
    +1 on what William said. I have a cheap ebay kit that works quite great. Miatamoto approved too. :)

There's a guy locally that sells them for 60 bucks and he will meet you in Garland. I have a set on my SC and they are good. Please don't go over 6K. If you need his number I can dig it up for you. They have a 2 year guarantee too.
    1991 Mariner
    2003 Tahoe
    2004 Hayabusa
    1989 YSR50
    1997 SC300

After doing some research, for the 99 and 2K cars, since these cars do not have the focused beam, it is not a good idea to do the HD conversion. Thanks for the info..
    Gabriel

The ones on my car are from RetroSolutions. I got them a couple of years ago an have loved them the minute I got them installed. They are a little more expensive than some of the other options (mine were about $180 shipped) but they do have a lifetime warranty and the guy is pretty easy to get a hold of. I know my H1 bulbs need a little adapter to get the HIB buld to fit and they came with the kit. Magma and I did look for a set for the NB and RetroSolutions did have H7 bulb adapters to get the bulbs to seat properly in the projectors. Oh BTW I'm running the 55W digital set in a 5000K brightness.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

I've got a Xentec HID kit I picked up off Ebay for my NC. Never used em cause I already have HID's stock.. H7 bulbs.. Color Temp. 6000K.. $30 if anybody wants em..
    Cory
    2006 Mazda MX-5 GT (SOLD)
    ​1999 Mazda Miata (FOR SALE)
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Cheap HID kits seem pretty good these days. Regarding the glare issue, you MUST have projectors or you will blind oncoming drivers. Judging by the popularity of throwing blue/purple HID's into stock reflectors (in South Dallas, anyway), I expect law-enforcement/inspection stations to begin cracking down on this soon. The focal point of oem reflectors is based on the length of the halogen bulbs and the filament location. HID bulbs are longer, thus the beams are not focused correctly.
    You can get some NB projector headlight housings, or you can do a projector retrofit on your current housings. The retrofit involves baking the lens off, then installing the projector lens with an adapter to your bulb opening, then sealing it back with silicon. Not terribly difficult, but delicate and time-consuming. Generally, retrofits are mostly done for cars that don't offer a projector version on any models, since its a lot easier to buy a ready-made projector.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

+1 on don't get HID's without projectors...
    Don't be that ricer!
    Cory
    2006 Mazda MX-5 GT (SOLD)
    ​1999 Mazda Miata (FOR SALE)
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650