Thread: Cheap ass all seasons for the civic

Default Cheap ass all seasons for the civic

Ok, quick question...

Im going skiing in Colorado for my honeymoon in a month, & my tires now are SHOT, dangerous even on dry texas roads. This is unacceptable for a 1400+ mile road trip, plus if theres snow on the roads, im screwed. Now im already paying 2 grand on this trip, so I dont really want to spend any more on the civic, & since shes no longer my fun car I really dont care what tires are on her, just as long as they are cheap & half way descent.

Now, im looking at these Kumho all seasons 195/60/15...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ring+A%2FS+795

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....uring+Plus+732

They are both 'rated' right with the Kumho 712s I have on there now, & I was happy with those tires, so they seem like a good deal, but I just need some real world advise on this.

I am leaning toward the 732s in the link, because the 795s have goofy sizing options, & I couldnt get anything that wouldnt look like balloons, plus the 732s are moderately cheaper.

Thanks guys
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I just put the 758's (not sure what relation to the others... may just be a "special tire" for Discount) on our '97. Steering response is much better than the Yokohama Avid V4 (not S) they replaced, as is grip. They're also quieter at 2k miles.

$224 mounted and balanced in 185/65-14

FWIW, if you want a great deal on an excellent set of Diamond pattern snow chains, I bought a set for the wife's Accord last year when we were planning on driving up to see the inlaws in Winter Park. We ended up flying, and I've got the unused chains (sized for 195-205/60-15 tires) sitting in my office.

Make me an offer if you want 'em.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Another one to look at would be the Kumho 716 otherwise called the HP4. Great dry and wet traction, does well in the snow, wears well, rides well, and it is fairly quiet. Make no mistake they don't grip like Azenis, but I was amazed at the level of refinement that a cheap tire could have. They are only a few $ more than the others you have listed.

I have about 9500 miles on the set I got for my 97, and they still look almost new. A friend of mine just got a little over 38,000 miles on a set she had on her Accord.

Depends on how cheap you want to go...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

S.

^not that cheap

I read about these Kumho HP4 716 for $40
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=ECSTA+HP4+716

Seems to be the best bang for the buck, I think im going to go with them.

Only problem is discount wants $70 per tire. Do they do price matching?? Does anyone have a tire mounter in their garage that I can borrow , or know know of a shop in the Grand Prairie-ish area that will mount them for cheap??
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

You should check their prices. Believe it or not, it might be cheaper to order the tires mounted on steelies directly from the Tire Rack rather than pay to have them mounted once you receive them. I had to replace a snow tire once, and it was cheaper to go this route than to pay DT for the tire + mounting/balancing. Strange but true.

S.

Yeah... I was looking in to buying tires for my truck from the Tire Rack and by the time you paid shipping (not exactly cheap) and then paid DT to mount/balance them, it was less than $10 difference than if I had just bought them from DT.

YMMV...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Hmmm...didnt know you could do that...

You wind up with 2 sets of steel wheels that way, but the OEMs can probably be sold.

S.

Where is that option, I cant find it anywhere on their site, only aftermarket rims.

Damn...

anybody know of a good cheap shop to get them mounted??

I think if I buy them online & get them mounted, I still can save like 50 bucks off what discount tire wants...

Costco is $10 per tire for members...

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Costco is $10 per tire for members...
    I thought they recently da rulez on that.....

^yea, just called them, if you dont buy the tires from them, no dice...

Any other tire shops?? Theres one down my street that i'll use as a last resort, but they kindof suck, depending whos working, although not as bad as the discount tire across the street.