Thread: Harness Bar and Harnesses

Default Harness Bar and Harnesses

I'm wanting to go with a 4-point harness in my car so it can also be used with the stock seat and not just the race seat I have at the house.. I understand that there are possible issues with submarining with the 4 point harness but I remember seeing a company that made a 4-point harness with "ASM technology" and can't remember who made it.

I plan to install a Boss Frog Harness bar for mounting of the harness.

Thanks for any help pointing me in the right direction,
    Josh
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

You do have a roll bar already right?
    Blah blah blah!

No the Boss Frog harness bar states it can be installed without a rollbar.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

Can <------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> should

Put simply, if you install harnesses without a rollbar, you are an asshole. I would tell my mother the same exact thing, so it's nothing personal. :)

Driver

http://www.soloracer.com/rallye4.html

Rallye3 or Rallye4. I have the Rallye4 in my Evo... Works great, but I only use it on the track or autocross (comfort).

Blog Entries

A harness without a roll bar is not allowed anyplace that I know of. It will make absolutely certain that you die in a roll over instead of just likely.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    A harness without a roll bar is not allowed anyplace that I know of. It will make absolutely certain that you die in a roll over instead of just likely.
    +1 Thats why I was asking.

http://www.schmiechen.com/photos/NoR...?b_start:int=0

http://www.schmiechen.com/photos/NoR...s/bmwroll3.jpg
    Last edited by MiataMike; 04-28-2010 at 03:26 PM.
    Blah blah blah!

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    I've passed tech with NASA (joke), Apex, TDE, SCCA, ER, NTAXS, BMW CCA and various other clubs. Harness without a roll bar.

I'm confused, in those pictures above, where exactly would your head go if you were wearing a three point again? You'd still be getting crushed.

Maybe you mean "no track unless you get a roll cage" which seems quite silly too.

With a 3 point you can still duck your head down/to the side. With a harness your just held upright.

I recall someone saying something to the effect of the eraser syndrome.

Roll over and slide and your head becomes the end of an ereaser rubbing against the pavement.

It may not be much but at least your mom will be able to identify your whole head.
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    I've passed tech with NASA (joke), Apex, TDE, SCCA, ER, NTAXS, BMW CCA and various other clubs. Harness without a roll bar.

I'm confused, in those pictures above, where exactly would your head go if you were wearing a three point again? You'd still be getting crushed.

Maybe you mean "no track unless you get a roll cage" which seems quite silly too.
    The no harness without a roll bar rule applies to open top cars only. (Autocross)

Ok I see delete topic I guess. lol.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

Blog Entries

I think we are always talking about Miatas and you are talking about sedans. Different drummers, etc. You have to remember the context here.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

HAHA alright no biggie. I'll save money for a Hard Dog. Any recomendations for the factory glass soft top?? When it wears out I plan to replace it with a plastic windowed non-zipper soft top.

Thanks again guys :)
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

You have a tin top. The rules for convertibles are completely different. There is not one single sanctioning organization (HPDE, TT, or autox) that will officially let you run a harness bar and aftermarket upper body restraints in a convertible that does not have approved factory rollover protection or a minimum 4-point aftermarket roll bar.

Whether you *can* or not is a different story (see TXMC assclowns in the "let's have a race in HPDE groups" thread), but this arrangement is against the written rules of every organization I've run with in the last decade, including SCCA, ER, NTAXS, BMWCCA, PCA, NASA, TDE, Apex, ECR, COMMA, and Velocity.

It's also a great way to ensure that your neck is a load bearing structure in event of a rollover. If you've been hitting the gym hard and think you can support 2500 pounds of car on the top of your head, then go for it. Most of us can't.

Thank you, please drive through.
    Last edited by altiain; 04-29-2010 at 07:50 AM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    You have a tin top. The rules for convertibles are completely different. There is not one single sanctioning organization (HPDE, TT, or autox) that will officially let you run a harness bar and aftermarket upper body restraints in a convertible that does not have approved factory rollover protection or a minimum 4-point aftermarket roll bar.

Whether you *can* or not is a different story (see TXMC assclowns in the "let's have a race in HPDE groups" thread), but this arrangement is against the written rules of every organization I've run with in the last decade, including SCCA, ER, NTAXS, BMWCCA, PCA, NASA, TDE, Apex, ECR, COMMA, and Velocity.

It's also a great way to ensure that your neck is a load bearing structure in event of a rollover. If you've been hitting the gym hard and think you can support 2500 pounds of car on the top of your head, then go for it. Most of us can't.

Thank you, please drive through.

The kick is up, its good, and thats the ball game!!
    Blah blah blah!

Driver

I agree with you Iain (and everyone else), and I'd have stayed out of the conversation, except that the pictures posted were of cars with tops, implying that even in non-convertibles that a roll bar was needed.

FWIW, when I get a Miata (ya, it's inevitable) it'll have a rollbar, even just for the street.

FWIW, when I get a Miata (ya, it's inevitable) it'll have a rollbar, even just for the street.
    Safety reasons aside, a rollbar is worth the cost for the chassis stiffening alone. Made A HUGE difference on my car...but I have a '90, so it had very little factory bracing to begin with.

And it makes the car look a little less "cute"

I'm looking forward to that. Mine's a 91 so it had no factory bracing either.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive