Thread: Time to rebuild

Default Time to rebuild

I have a 95r that has just over 200k on it. It recently has started drinking a little antifreeze and now leaving evidence that the head gasket has given away with a little stain on the firewall. I have owned the car since 95k and have taken good care of it maintenance wise. Planning on a christmas rebuild now and would appreciate any suggestions beyond what may be discovered necessary at the machine shop and typical oil pump, water pump replacement. also any thoughts on the flying miata rebuild kit vs. ebay kits. Lastly looking for a machine shop to do the right work. I am not after big mods or racing, just doing the right things. Also will do transmission so suggestions on clutch/pressure plate would be appreciated.. gonna be a 'spensive christmas. and if i get really ambitious, need to have the bilsteins rebuilt...

Patrick

I'd like to know if there is a good machine shop around.

When I got the POSIV I made a few calls just the machine work was going to cost me more that a used long block I so being cheap I went with the used motor route.

I bought all OEM parts (Clutch, Water Pump, Timing belt, Yadda Yadda Yadda) when I put the car back together. YMMV

From searches i am probably going to use Day Custom up in richardson. John says he normally does the building to a short block state, but will just handle the machine work necessary. my bro is rebuilding his 289 from his 65 fastback, so we have enough plastigage, assembly lube, etc to go around now. budgeting 1k for the build after talking with John.

+1000 for John Day! and they are getting some new :topsecret: toys!

It would be less expensive to replace with a JDM long block, though.
    I have done a bunch.

sent a pm, but i am thinking this is a good chance to give my daily hellafun driver a little extra love with freshening up the head and trying to get it all right.

Does the 1.8L have that silly rubber cap on the back of the head like the 1.6L? If so, check that for leaks before you proclaim the head gasket gone.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I'd like to know if there is a good machine shop around.

When I got the POSIV I made a few calls just the machine work was going to cost me more that a used long block I so being cheap I went with the used motor route.

I bought all OEM parts (Clutch, Water Pump, Timing belt, Yadda Yadda Yadda) when I put the car back together. YMMV
    That's because you got a really sweet deal on that motor!
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52 View Post
    That's because you got a really sweet deal on that motor!
    But I had to go to deepest darkest Arlington and drag it out of a backyard garage while a wiener dog attacked my shins.... Oh the humanity!

And quit sending me those extend your warranty e-mails!

Thanks Again Mark52!

But I had to go to deepest darkest Arlington and drag it out of a backyard garage while a wiener dog attacked my shins.
    Did he keep saying something about, "It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again?"

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Did he keep saying something about, "It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again?"
    If I remember correctly the wiener dog never said a word to me.

will do channel... preciate the tip

...while a wiener dog humped my shins.... Oh the humanity!

Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

wanted to post a thanks to all who contributed on this thread. all is settling in nicely on the motor.. john day did the heads, machine work and assembled the bottom end. installed FM happy meal clutch kit, track dog goodies, msm mounts, basically a stock rebuild beyond those.. .

when i pulled it apart for a 200k motor and it really looked good (using m1) no honing or rework required.. bearings were still in decent shape, no misfit wear..

have a bum shock, so that is next on the list along with an exhaust. will open thread later but anyone have any experience getting bilstiens rebuilt? i understand the fella who used to work on them there is no longer with us. have the R model so would like to keep them, but may just punt and go with hd's ...
    95 r white