• Drag Racing

0 0%
  • Road Racing

17 85.00%
  • Cheese Racing

3 15.00%

Thread: Requires More Driver's Skill?

Default Requires More Driver's Skill?

I just want some opinions on which one you consider to require more driver's skill.

I'm not referring specifically to Miatas, but just cars in general.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

I'm not going to say there is no skill in drag racing becuase there is especially when you start getting faster and faster. There's a lot of things you need to manage on a top fuel car for instance in 3 and a half seconds lol. However, I do believe that road racing requires more skill over all.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Drag Racers do it in under 10 seconds
    Road Racers can go for 24 hours.
    M3 is always the answer.

Blog Entries

You could build a "drag race driver" with off the shelf electronics that would be championship capable. Drag racing is in the wrench turners hands. Road racing involves many more variables including other cars on the track.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

It not the amount of skill but how long it takes to become professionally competitive....

10,000 hours is a general rule of thumb for almost any skill

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    It not the amount of skill but how long it takes to become professionally competitive....

10,000 hours is a general rule of thumb for almost any skill

Chris
    Thank you!!!! We now have a definitive reason for no professional auto-crossing... There is no one who has amassed 10,000 hours of autocross seat time!

If my math is correct you will need 7,200,000 runs in a 5 sec dragster to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    If my math is correct you will need 7,200,000 runs in a 5 sec dragster to be good.
    I am pretty sure that stop sign/light launches count. I have also seen the occasional Mustang practicing their launches on 35E during stop and go traffic. That time has to count too!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I am pretty sure that stop sign/light launches count. I have also seen the occasional Mustang practicing their launches on 35E during stop and go traffic. That time has to count too!
    I am sure the person in front of them was loving that.

"Please don't hit me, please don't hit me..."

The brakes on a Stang GT are beyond pathetic, so I would have been shitting myself seeing one launching behind me.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

I vote we buy Creek a ride in a top fueler...............

No I think you all should buy me a ride in a top fueler, or just get them to let me sit in one when they warm up the motor.

Thank you!!!! We now have a definitive reason for no professional auto-crossing... There is no one who has amassed 10,000 hours of autocross seat time!

Autocrossing is not at the top of the Motorsports Career ladder. Look at F1, WRC, and Nascar drivers.

How much time do you think they have on track before they can actually start to make an Income racing professionally?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I'm not as familiar with the Pro aspects of Drag Racing but I'm pretty sure that most of the drivers have been doing it numerous years before they break into the professional brackets.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I have a friend that was a very successful drag racer in the 50's, 60's and early 70's. He was very innovative and a master craftsman, a pretty good driver also. He fell by the wayside when anybody with a little money could buy a Keith Black motor.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67