Thread: SCCA proposed rule changes

Default SCCA proposed rule changes

Mods, don't know if this is the right place, so move if appropriate

The new SCCA Fast Track proposes to eliminate the goofy wing and aero allowances in ST*

After seeing wings/spoilers/splitters on Miatas at Nats and their performance effect, I don't want to go there at all.

So I've sent my letter to the SEB endorsing the proposed deletion of rule 14.2.F as described below

Delete 14.2.F. Per the STAC: This removes the original allowance for aftermarket body kits, wings, spoilers and other appearance items, whose original purpose (i.e. attract Sport Compact enthusiasts) is no longer relevant, and which a number of competitors were using for performance advantage.

link to send your opinion here -- whether you like it or not, each SCCA member's opinion will count

http://www.sebscca.com/index.php
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Done.

I thought the Street classes were crafted to allow ricer racers with the fart pipe, chrome wheels, body kit, and big wing somewhere to autocross and not be placed directly in A-Mod. However, now that serious competitors have exploited the intention of the rules and constructed purpose built race cars to the limits of the allowances, the average ricer racer might as well be in A-mod anyway.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

Wow, this argument just keeps going and going...

http://sccaforums.com/forums/1/416969/ShowThread.aspx

Sent in my letter. No wings for me, thank you.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I'd vote to ban all wings but these:
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I don't think they need to ban all wings, some guys like wings. A single element under 4 sq ft. wing will make very little down force at autocross speeds. More than 1 element then you can get creative and make real down force at low speeds.

If you ban all wings the guy with a small dealer installed wing gets sent off to Street Mod, but a guy like me gets to keep his big ass factory wing (that does little).

No dog in the fight, I don't see me going to ST anytime soon, so no letter from me.

I did enjoy playing with aero when I was in STS2,

Owner of the original big ass STS2 (now STS) wing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Robert

the buzz I heard at Blytheville was the most likely approach would be to allow any OEM part from a manufacturer

so, you can keep what came stock on your car, or put some other Honday OEM spoiler or wing on it

thinking as explained to me was that OEMs do appearance stuff only and don't want anything that would add drag and hurt fuel economy

and just got a form email from SCCA saying my input had been considered by STAC and the STAC had sent their recommendation to SEB

so time to send stuff to SEB

Neal I agree....the stupid $$$ being spent on $600+ apr GTC200 wings in a ST class on street tires is retarded. We need to curb this shit now.
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

This one has certainly generated some letters. I've had to read them! Generally the feeling is that while no one has done it yet, people are starting to develop aero that really does work. The general feeling is that real aero (expensive) would not be good for anyone.

Neal, I think it's good that they will allow any OEM wing. Are they going to allow the removal of OEM wings also?

miata_racer, What's another $600 when people are spending +5K for "stock" motors and +4K shock packages on a 3K car? I do understand people wanting to limit how effective wings are, and removing them all together may be the easiest way, but the cost of off the shelf wings is not a good reason. The wing I had was under $200.

that's the way I see it

another escalation that never fit the intent of the class

kill it now before there is a bunch of embedded base

yes, I can get with people in the know (like Dr Bob) and build/buy a wing and a splitter that meet the letter of the rules, but then it becomes another "must have" along with super light wheels, "the" tire (whatever that is these days), $5000 shocks, seats that save a few pounds, etc

we already have a lot of expensive items in ST_ and don't need another

and I think it is clear that even strick adherence to the letter of the current rule will have benefit

as has been pointed out in another forum, you set the car up really loose so it rotates in the slow stuff, then the aero plants the tail at speed

lots of testing to get it right, but people will

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Neal, I think it's good that they will allow any OEM wing. Are they going to allow the removal of OEM wings also?
    don't know Robert

it was speculation or guessing from a guy who seems to have a finger on the pulse but the logic made sense to me at the time

maybe wishful thinking too

Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post
    don't know Robert

it was speculation or guessing from a guy who seems to have a finger on the pulse but the logic made sense to me at the time

maybe wishful thinking too
    Hey guys, I'm actually on the STAC and yes, there will be more and there already was an announcement on wording about removal of OEM wings being OK.

"Modify 14.2.C to read as follows (ref. 10-127):
    “C. Factory rub strips, emblems, mud flaps, wings, bolt on front valance lips/spoilers, and fog lights may be removed.
    Fog lights that are an integral part of a main headlight or turn signal may not be removed”"

Brian Hanchey

Can I remove fog lights yet?
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post
    you set the car up really loose so it rotates in the slow stuff, then the aero plants the tail at speed
    Very true, it's what makes aero so cool at AX speeds. Not sure I would say really loose just loose for the slow stuff, 5sq. ft. will only do so much.

I am surprised it's taken this long for aero in ST to catch on, and/or get outlawed.