Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy this car?

Driver

Default Should I buy this car?

I'm selling the evo and Ive been offered a partial trade of a 2000 NB. There some issues with it, but I'm wondering if this is a good enough deal to overlook the issues.

It is white w/cloth interior, power windows, nardi steering wheel, 140k miles.

Bad:
    it needs new top
    needs timing belt
    its throwing 3 codes ( 0403 - EGR system low, catalytic converter code and an alternator voltage code)
    needs brakes pretty soon

Tires are decent, wheels are after market. It was a smokers car so it needs aired out.

But, for 2500 is this a deal I should consider KNOWING that it needs all this stuff worked on.

new top- every car is going to need one some day... might as well get it out of the way now. $500

timing belt- See Above, $300

throwing 3 codes- a little of a gamble here but I would be surprised if it took more than $500 to fix

needs brakes pretty soon- Pads and rotors all the way around will run under $200, but you are going to replace them regardless of the condition as you will want a performance pad so you can hardly consider this a cost unique to this car.

So, you are left with a 2000 Miata with 140k miles, new top, new brakes, timing belt done, and likely a new CAT and O2 sensor, all for around $4000. Sounds like a smokin deal to me.

Get it checked out by someone who knows Miatas I'd definably run a compression check on it at the minimum.

IMHO That is a lot of miles with emissions issues think I'd pass.

I'd pass.

FYI, car has cruise and power windows as well, so it *should* have a Torsen. Correct me if I'm wrong.

For $2500 I'd buy it, especially if the end result is going to be a track car. Brakes are going to be replaced anyway, you can patch the top for $10 if you don't care what it looks like (it's going to be a track car, remember?), and it's a non interference engine so the cheap bastard thing to do would be to keep on driving it until it breaks.

Besides, it's white. White is cool.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

$2500 is a bargain IMO.

$200 for a top...easy to DIY.
    $250 for timing belt, WP, idlers, etc.
    $100 for OEM brake pads
    The cat may be dead. If so, I think you're looking at ~$300 for a new one.

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    FYI, car has cruise and power windows as well, so it *should* have a Torsen. Correct me if I'm wrong.

For $2500 I'd buy it, especially if the end result is going to be a track car. Brakes are going to be replaced anyway, you can patch the top for $10 if you don't care what it looks like (it's going to be a track car, remember?), and it's a non interference engine so the cheap bastard thing to do would be to keep on driving it until it breaks.

Besides, it's white. White is cool.
    Called Mazda. No torsen. Hmm.

Hmm... not that I'd always trust Mazda, since they told us the 10AE on bought didn't have ABS (it did).

Here is a link listing all the options for an NB. You're looking for a PEP model, which should have power antenna and power door locks, as well as power windows.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I'd think the torsen is a must for you, after your experience with the evo. Of course, a torsen swap is not all that tough, and there are some on the market right now. It seems like a decent deal, but not a unique one. Question is, would you rather get a nice deal up front and spend the time/money to get the car up to YOUR standards of reliability and performance, or spend more up front and have less to fix/upgrade, but not have as much choice in the prep, or knowledge of what was done and how well? You're pretty mechanical, so I can't imagine you're bothered by some work, and you can really control cost by doing labor yourself. Then again, if someone has already done the legwork and done it well, it'll aways be a bargain.

I am positive that there are plenty of folks on here who will offer assistance, parts and experience to you (I will). Build-ups are fun, but time-consuming and not instant-gratification.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Driver

Well I bought it. Heaven help us.

If it has power locks, I have no idea how to work them. It does have the door speakers though. Who the heck knows what kind of diff is under it.

Driver

Went and checked the passenger tag.

No ABS, has power steering, NC49 model (so no torsen, oh well).

The wife thinks it's fun though, which is more than can be said for the Evo

When your ready to pull stuff off let me know. I can make the long drive back down to Frisco or you can come up here and use two bays of my garage.

BTW..your wife told me about this on another forum tonight but I didn't know it was gonna be so soon :)
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Looks nice, congrats. Let the fun begin!

PS - I don't think any Miatae ever came with OEM power locks.

PPS - Looks like it has some sort of appearance package on it. I didn't know '00's had integrated fog lights.

Congrats on the new miata! Don't worry about the softtop, just patch it or pull it and get a hardtop.

BTW, Boisking does very good diff installs for a very reasonable price. Get a Mazda motorsports account and the mazda comp diff.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Congrats!

The Mazdacomp is a nice clutch diff, but the Torsen works just fine for 95% of applications and lasts forever.

Looks like this car has the appearance package with the fog lights and the front airdam. Does it have a power antenna? If so, it should definitely have the Torsen.

Definitely get signed up with the Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development program ASAP. Sign up under the "building a car" option, and you'll be able to get any/all OEM parts at a significant discount.
    Iain

Congrats on the car. Good luck with the build.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Congratulations, welcome to Miata ownership.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Welcome to the Big Leagues.

Congrats on the new car!

"Big guy in a little car..."

Seriously though, nice find. I'm ready to help anytime. I don't go back to work till september.
    Last edited by OZMDD; 05-21-2010 at 08:10 AM.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast