Thread: Short Shifter

Default Short Shifter

I drove an S2000 the other day, and the only reason I enjoyed that car more than my Miata, was due to it's Short Shifter. That just doubled the fun of driving. What is everyone's opinion on a Short Shifter on an 01' Miata, and what would be a good one to go with?

IIRC, there are essentially 2 different types for the Miata- A short shifter (where the shifter is simply shortened between the fulcrum and the knob to lower the knob) and a short throw shifter (where the distance between the fulcrum and the bottom end of the shifter is lengthened to shorten the throw). While I have not tried either one, I have heard mixed reviews on both and have known people with each type who ended up going back to stock.

I have driven both (have one). And a third type, technically (a shortened short throw).

Short shifter / lower knob = what I have in my car. I love it because I can leave my arm on the console with my palm directly on the top of my knob, and just flick my wrist to shift.
    Short throw shifter = just as easy to flick, but I had to rest my hand with my palm vertically to hold the knob from the side. For some reason it was less comfortable for me. 1-4 made me giddy, but I couldn't find 5th quickly to save my life. Motor mounts in the car I drove were fine.
    Shortened short throw = I LOVED this one, despite the same problem with finding 5th gear. Maybe with more time I could have gotten used to it. Who knows. I couldn't justify the price tag at the time, and I never could find one again.

If you make the switch, and get an aftermarket knob, make SURE you get one that is as heavy, if not slightly more, than the stock knob. I found that made a HUGE difference in how shifting felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie Miata View Post
    ...what would be a good one to go with?
    I think you should buy an S2000....
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    I think you should buy an S2000....
    Have you seen some of the people that own StooK's?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Have you seen some of the people that own StooK's?
    At least they aren't as scary as (ex) 'Vette owners...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    At least they aren't as scary as (ex) 'Vette owners...
    Why drag ken_o and general default in this?

Short shifters are so 2009..........................

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by POS Racing; 05-28-2010 at 07:27 AM.

I'd listen to Rob on the heavier shift knob.. I had a voodoo, liked the design but you really had to push it into gear.. Bought a new knob, same design as the voodoo, off twmperformance.com, 3 times the weight at 485 grams.. big difference, smoother shifts all the way through, 100 bucks well spent, a bargain compared to some other shift knobs on the market such as the titanium voodoo that costs significantly more and weighs less anyways..
    Cory
    2006 Mazda MX-5 GT (SOLD)
    ​1999 Mazda Miata (FOR SALE)
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote Originally Posted by CHeavin_2006 View Post
    I'd listen to Rob on the heavier shift knob.. I had a voodoo, liked the design but you really had to push it into gear.. Bought a new knob, same design as the voodoo, off twmperformance.com, 3 times the weight at 485 grams.. big difference, smoother shifts all the way through, 100 bucks well spent, a bargain compared to some other shift knobs on the market such as the titanium voodoo that costs significantly more and weighs less anyways..
    Thats what weighted tape is good for actual cost (A lot less than another $100)
    Blah blah blah!