Thread: Cheap ass ebay strut bars

Default Cheap ass ebay strut bars

Ive been wondering for a long time if strut tower bars are as good as *some* people say. I read tons of threads & all I hear is yes, no, little bit, OMG R TeH RoXXorZ...etc.

So my curiosity getting the best of me, I think im going to get a $10 ebay one just to find out, that way I dont waiste $150 on a good one if it does nothing, if I like the way it feels, then I might spring for a good one.
    My old 94 might need a little stiffening anyhow.

I found a bunch of them for 10 bucks, & some for 5 bucks, theyre really cheap im sure, my only question, since im no stranger to ebay, is if they will fit properly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33591

Heres the $10 one...

Heres the $5 one...

Im sure the $5 one dosent have a chance in hell of fitting without modification, since the mounts are so short I doubt it would clear the engine. But the $10 one might just work.

What do you guys think??

Oh yea, im going to try to do this before KYB/roolbar/allignment, so I can see what, if anything, it does.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

A few things:

1) I have one from ebay (not one of the ones you show) and I noticed a difference when going over the railroad tracks near my house. Can't say what else it may have helped, as I am not the most in-tune driver.

2) Don't forget to figure in the inflated shipping costs.

3) They are adjustable.

4) I will have one coming off my car when I install my SC. I may sell it, or it may become a door prize at the SC install.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I had one like the $10 version in my '92. It did help tighten up the front end, but I took it out to remain 'stock' for autocross. 3Bean has it now in the BUR. Maybe he'll chime in.

Yea due to my race tires im running TCSP this season & my car is stock...

I need as much as I can try to fit in, hehe
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I had one like the $10 version in my '92. It did help tighten up the front end, but I took it out to remain 'stock' for autocross. 3Bean has it now in the BUR. Maybe he'll chime in.
    I bought sammmy's a while back and love it... it really reduced the front end shudder I had (of course, most of it is due to bad suspension pieces!) but it greatly helped!

For ten smackers, you can't go wrong!

I had one, I dont know if it helped while driving. All I know is that I could bend the mounts once bolted in with my hands...

Ataim bought one for $10 on e-bay that looked identical to the 1st one and when we put it on it was touching the intake. We adjusted it a million ways and still no likey. It caused a bad vibration to the chassis @ idle due to it touching the intake. His is a 93', so I don't know if there's a cm. diff. that will help on other year cars?? I'm sure you could pick his up from him for $10 and not have to wait on it to get here. As a matter of fact it is @ my house still in the box if you want to test fit it to get an idea......

i dont know but im getting the one from r-speed, the type 2, it is 125 shipped but is alot more stout than the ebay ones.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

^Ill think about one of those depending how I like this one...

Hmmm...im interested SPEEDRACER, whenever im in ft worth, or your in dallas, ill take it off your hands...

You are in ft worth right??

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi

Hmmm...im interested SPEEDRACER, whenever im in ft worth, or your in dallas, ill take it off your hands...

Yeah, I'm in northwest fort worth, but I may be in Richardson sometime this weekend looking @ a 92' Sunburst Yellow f.s. PM your # and I'll give you a call when I get free to go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDRACER

Yeah, I'm in northwest fort worth, but I may be in Richardson sometime this weekend looking @ a 92' Sunburst Yellow f.s. PM your # and I'll give you a call when I get free to go that way.
    Bet it's that '92 yellow one on EBay.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Bet it's that '92 yellow one on EBay. [/quote]

Yeah it is, but i'm still wondering why it has a NY title and TX registration
    And it has been wrecked

You know more about it than I do....Has TX plates that are bent up, so you'd think it's been here awhile, but who knows. Have Ataim do a Carfax report for you. Looks like a pretty nice car, but NY title could mean rust, etc. Check it over well.

Sorry Thread Driftooooooooo.......
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I'm still wondering why it has a NY title and TX registration
    If it's from the Great White North, look out for rust! Check the rocker panels, inside the fender wells and inside the trunk. I'd pass on any car if it showed any trace of rust!

Let me check with the Fiance if I can spring get the cash, I may be up that way tomorrow anyway.

If you want a front tower brace, make sure the metal that mounts it to the towers is pretty stout... most of the cheap braces are thin and bend easily.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!