Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notebook pc recomendations?

Default Notebook pc recomendations?

Looking at getting a notebook type pc for downloading data and vid at the track and have no clue what to look for? Would be nice to have wifi or whatever to be able to surf the web at starbucks or airports/wherever. Not opposed to used (fleabay/amazon, etc.), prefer something around <$500..

Any help would be appreciated!
    SA

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

You opposed to a 'netbook'? Smaller, cheaper, but fine for what you're looking to do.

I am very happy with my Asus EeePC. There are tons of versions of it out there under $500, all with WiFi... Some of them have solid state drives (flash memory) and some have traditional hard drives. I would recommend the Solid state as it should be slightly more durable. Also be sure you get one running Windows as the Linux ones may not be able to run whatever data-logging software you use.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    You opposed to a 'netbook'? Smaller, cheaper, but fine for what you're looking to do.
    Not at all, just never heard the term "netbook". Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I am very happy with my Asus EeePC. There are tons of versions of it out there under $500, all with WiFi... Some of them have solid state drives (flash memory) and some have traditional hard drives. I would recommend the Solid state as it should be slightly more durable. Also be sure you get one running Windows as the Linux ones may not be able to run whatever data-logging software you use.
    Solid state sounds good. What about their capacity? Data and vid can be large I assume...also agree that I would like windows XP preferrably as that's what I use at home..

I second Titus' reccomendation for an ASUS EeePC. I got mine for $250 brand new from NewEgg a year ago(at Titus' reccomendation) and it runs basic web surfing and photo editing just fine for me. It's smaller and lighter than most of my college textbooks, even the small size supplemental textbooks. Slips in my backpack easily, and has most basic laptop features, wifi, card reader, etc. Keyboard is annoying, but that's really my only complaint. If you type a lot you get used to it, if you don't type alot, then it's not a big deal either.

Memory and hard drive are easily swappable. I hear you can drop a 500GB HD in it just with a couple screws and removing a panel on the bottom, this is a big plus for me as I'll still use it as a meadia center long after it's obsolete.

It works great for any car scenario, I plug it in to AUX and use it as an MP3 player on trips and when im working on the car. I'd imagine it would be perfect for datalogging at the track.

FWIW, mine is the 900HA and was at the time the smallest laptop offered that still had basic laptop features.
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 06-24-2010 at 07:25 AM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Driver

the only issue with the true "netbooks" are that they have a single core Atom processor. Those are tuuuuhrrrrible for video processing, even in a pinch.

My recommendation is to pick the size you want (9", 10", 12", 13.3", 14", 15.4", 16", 17", personally a 13.3" is just about the perfect size) and then look around. Definitely watch the Dell outlet with a coupon.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

This brings up a question you guys can probably answer. I don't have a netbook, but a friend had one last year that had no way to hook up external devices without going WiFi. Is that still the case? I might buy one if I could do hardwire connects to printers, thumb drives and such.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Driver

they all have usb ports, vga ports and network jacks.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    the only issue with the true "netbooks" are that they have a single core Atom processor. Those are tuuuuhrrrrible for video processing, even in a pinch.

My recommendation is to pick the size you want (9", 10", 12", 13.3", 14", 15.4", 16", 17", personally a 13.3" is just about the perfect size) and then look around. Definitely watch the Dell outlet with a coupon.
    +1 to what goofy said. While netbooks are great for web surfing or watching a DVD, most of them will not have the processing power to handle even light video editing.

We bought a Dell Inspiron similar to this one last year, and I've been quite happy with it for video editing. Price is in your ballpark as well.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

^ hadn't thought about video processing as I haven't done any with it. Makes sense though, they're definitely not designed for it.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    We bought a Dell Inspiron similar to this one last year, and I've been quite happy with it for video editing...
    Video editing? You can do video editing on that laptop? I wouldn't expect you to be able to do that on a laptop with no dedicated graphics card (it has a graphic accelerator, but I don't see dedicated graphics card). I may be tempted to grab one of those...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Driver

Graphics cards aren't used for video editing/processing (I mean other than to display the video). The CPU and hard drive will be the big bottleneck for video processing.

Thanks for the help so far. Looking at traqmate requirements and all, I'm starting to see what's needed. The Dell outlet is "substantial" and a bit overwhelming. And what is this "coupon" you speak of Goofygrin?

How's this one look?: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D2

Seems to fit the bill? If not the exact one, something along these lines correct?

Driver

Get on Dell's mailing list and they'll send you coupons all the time.

That one looks decent.

Ok. Thanks. The only thing is on this one, I don't see any reference to wireless net capability. Is that pretty much standard nowadays?

Driver

I can only imagine it has one. Pretty standard these days.

I have a ACER Aspire One. I swore I would never buy a damn Acer but I picked this one up for 300 bucks new at the PX about a year ago. It has Wi-Fi Capability and if you know how to do teathering you can use internet anywhere. Some of them have built in wireless air cards that use the various wireless networks depending on which one you buy.

It's basically my travel laptop it's very small and doesn't take up much space which is a big deal when I'm doing motorcycle traveling as I need all the space I can get. And it only weights probably 2 or 3 lbs tops.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Quote Originally Posted by SixAce View Post
    Ok. Thanks. The only thing is on this one, I don't see any reference to wireless net capability. Is that pretty much standard nowadays?
    Seller lists the Service Tag: 80VN1J1
    I entered that at the Dell tech support site and it shows it to have wireless B/G/N.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

i picked up a toshiba qosmio when they first came out and love the fuck out of it. it replaced my desktop at home and work. no to mention can kill a man if needed to .

i bot mine from new egg and set up a new egg premium account, anything over $500 was no interest for a year, paid it off in 6 months. not sure anyone else can match that.

this is the model i got but there are some cheaper ones. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-804-_-Product

my old 15.4 ver the new hotness of the 18.4

if that's a to mannly check out some of the smaller toshibas or acer. don't get a dell, they over charger for tech that's over a year old. for the same price you can get better else were.

i like that jeff..... if it is anywhere near as reliable or hardy as my toshiba satellite, that thing will last forever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast