Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2010 SCCA SOWDIV #2 July 31-1 at Lone Star Park hosted by Texas Region SCCA

I don't think it's as simple as saying it is not about the competition anymore. I love the competition but due to the classing I drive a non competive car. So for me the other events are a better value. I still know how close I should be relative to other drivers despite the differences in scca classing. For example on an a average day I am about 1.5 seconds slower then Thomas in Vo's STR s2000 or 2 seconds slower then Ken in his m3. So my competition is with myself to close those times (especially cause those gaps used to be much bigger). The competition no matter which group or classing is exactly the same.

I like my M3.
    SCCA does not like my M3.

I like to drive.
    SCCA does not like me to drive.

I like ice cream.
    SCCA does not have ice cream.

BUF - My time is limited. I pick events with more seat time. BMW, NTAXS, NASA Time Trials. The level of competition is not too bad at some of these events.

So now that you co-drive a BMW we will see you at the BMWCCA autocrosses right? Sorry we don't have ice cream.
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    Competition is one thing. The goal is always to have fun though, right? Once something stops being fun... then why continue?
    Can't make everyone happy, I guess.

So, I'm open to a fix!

Suggestions??
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    I like ice cream.
    Quote of the day!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I like my M3.
    SCCA does not like my M3.

I like to drive.
    SCCA does not like me to drive.

I like ice cream.

BUF - My time is limited. I pick events with more seat time. BMW, NTAXS, NASA Time Trials. The level of competition is not too bad at some of these events.

So now that you co-drive a BMW we will see you at the BMWCCA autocrosses right? Sorry we don't have ice cream.
    Not without the Ice Cream!!
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

I will say that I enjoy the competition at SCCA divisional and national events, but it's a whole lot of time/effort/money for very limited seat time (competition). The quality of the competition is good, but not the amount. I went to nationals once, enjoyed the competition and the pressure but I had to take a week of vacation and spent a ton of money. National/divisional events are great, but you have to prep your car to the limit of the class to have any chance of "competing" (think must have a fresh set of Hoosiers for every nat/div event). The possibility of contingency lessens the blow a little in national level events.

There's competition at all of the autocross clubs locally. Greg's point is valid and some people actually rank us with the SCCA PAX in real time at these events.

Competition isn't as fun when you classing dictates what car you buy and how much money you spend on modifications. For example I bought a RX-8 even though at the time I really didn't like the look of them (it grew on me and now I love it) plus the guy gridded next to me at nationals had a $4000 set of shocks and a $2000 set of wheels with a brand new set of heat cycled $1300 Hoosiers. Stock class! LOL!

On a side note:

I do not like KenO, even if he does like his M3 and ice cream.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

For me I would say keep it simple, minimize the red tape and hoops you have to jump thru it's not a Tour. Minimize the amount of time you have people working course without cars running. Few things make me grumpier at an event than working course with no cars running or even making their way to the start line, if it happens too often with a club I will quite doing their events. Don't put the event in July/Aug.

Even then I don't know if this would help, Divs seem to be in a kind of an autocross no-mans land, to serious for the guys looking for fun and lots of runs and lacks the prestige/competition for the guys looking for Nat level events.

I am attending, but have not completed registration yet. I think your concerns over attendance are premature, as the Houston divisional only had 50 or so entrants until 2 weeks ago, and it is now more than double that, I believe. This will be my first Divisional, so I can't comment on the overall situation. I can tell you that I didn't run last year because I had an ST car that was not the "Spec Civic", so it was pointless (Yaris). I do think you are mentioning conflicting goals, by saying that it used to be about enjoying the sport instead of contingency (=fun, right?), but then criticizing drivers who want more seat time for their money. Which is it? Serious about the sport or having fun? If its not fun, its a lousy sport, IMHO. Now, all sports require commitment in order to become skilled, or else everyone would be good at it, but when it stops being enjoyable, many folks won't participate. I personally gave up MTN Bike racing when I was so concerned about my cadence and pace that I couldn't have fun on my bike anymore. Its a fine line.

Still, my original point stands: give it a little more time before you decide that its not a reasonable turnout.

As for suggestions: something creative original that sets the N Texas Div apart from others, such as the creative ideas described in a recent issue of the SCCA Sports Car magazine? Axis vs Allies? etc?
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

The problem is much deeper than attending bigger events.

I don't understand SCCA logic. They focused on restructuring the Stock classes.
    Killed BS the spec RX-8 class
    Killed GS the spec Mini class
    Built a new AS class that has had about 5 TOTAL people attend National tours in AS
    Almost half of the entries at the NT were cars in the ST classes. SCCA only offers 4 ST classes. Where is this going? It is easy to see the direction to take, more ST classes. People don't want to spend thousands of dollars on tires to be competitive. Any of successful business would have capitalized on this and would have created more ST classes to better server their customer. And I know that the T class is available at Div, but it is not the same.
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post

I do not like KenO, even if he does like his M3 and ice cream.

I like you. You're easy to pass on the track.
    M3 is always the answer.

Thanks Ken, that's the second best laugh I've had today. The first was the ice cream line.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

The problem is much deeper than attending bigger events.

I don't understand SCCA logic. They focused on restructuring the Stock classes.
    Killed BS the spec RX-8 class
    Killed GS the spec Mini class
    Built a new AS class that has had about 5 TOTAL people attend National tours in AS
    Almost half of the entries at the NT were cars in the ST classes. SCCA only offers 4 ST classes. Where is this going? It is easy to see the direction to take, more ST classes. People don't want to spend thousands of dollars on tires to be competitive. Any of successful business would have capitalized on this and would have created more ST classes to better server their customer. And I know that the T class is available at Div, but it is not the same.
    Believe it or not, the changes come from competitor input to change the classes.

Members send in letters to the SCCA National Car Classing Committees saying these classes are just how you described them. "Spec" classes. Members write in saying these cars "Dominate the class... reclass these cars". Well they listened... to a point.

Now people are moaning about the reclassing!
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by autoxmax View Post
    Believe it or not, the changes come from competitor input to change the classes.

Members send in letters to the SCCA National Car Classing Committees saying these classes are just how you described them. "Spec" classes. Members write in saying these cars "Dominate the class... reclass these cars". Well they listened... to a point.

Now people are moaning about the reclassing!
    You know what might work better? A points based system. Got a CF hood +1, intake +2, R-comps +13, etc.
    M3 is always the answer.

LOL! I need a faster car.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Don't forget that late fees start on Monday 7/26, so register early and register often.

From SOWDIV Divisional Steward, Todd Farris:
    -----------------------------------------------

Just wanted to let everyone that entered the Houston Div know that if they participate at the Texas region Div, they will be eligible for a drawing amongst those that competed at both events for a set of Hoosiers, Simpson helmet and a free entry to the SCCA Solo National Championship!!!

Get registered!!!!

Todd
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Still no ice cream?
    M3 is always the answer.

I'm looking for a car to codrive at this event. Willing to help with costs. I've got lots of experience in a fully-prepped STS(2) Miata. I'd even be willing to loan out the 700/450 Koni 2812 setup off the XP car for this event.

Still no ice cream?
    I thought that was a BMW event trademark?!?!
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

If you have not previously attended an event at Lone Star Park, you should print this before leaving:

http://autocross.com/tr/Lone_Star_Pa...ons_layout.pdf

Otherwise, it can get very frustrating trying to get to a lot that you can see, but gates keep blocking your way. Actually, it's kind of amusing to watch once you're inside.

If the link does not work, then right-click on it, select Save Target As, save it, and then open it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast