Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2010 SCCA SOWDIV #2 July 31-1 at Lone Star Park hosted by Texas Region SCCA

Texas Region Divisional Info:

- There will be quite a bit of traffic on the site Friday evening starting around 6pm. The area that we will be using for Grid during the day needs to be used by the Baseball Stadium patrons in the evening. Please keep this in mind when coming into the site. Baseball traffic will be coming into the site using Gate 2. You want to enter at Lone Star Parkway off Beltline road.

- Please Take Note:
    It’s going to be HOT all weekend! The forecast shows temps right around 100 degrees for all 3 days. Please take the following advice about the heat & staying hydrated:

• AVOID CAFFEINE & Soft Drinks. These will dehydrate your body!
    • Take frequent water breaks (1 glass of cool water/20 minutes of heat exposure)
    • Replenish electrolytes with sports drinks if heat exposure is longer than 1 hr.
    • Take breaks in the shade when possible
    • Wear a hat, light/loose fitting clothing and sunglasses
    • Use sunscreen that is not oil base and reapply on a regular basis (special attention to back of neck, nose, and top of ears)

WHAT TO DRINK?
    Ã* COOL WATER
    • Normally 6-8 glasses per day (8 oz./glass = ½ Gal.)
    • Add 2-3 MORE glasses for each hour in the heat
    8 hrs exposure = 24 – 30 glasses or 2 Gal. per day
    • JUICES (O.J. & Tomato Juice are great choices)
    • LOW FAT MILK
    • DILUTED REPLACEMENT DRINKS
    Half water-half drink after being in a hot environment more than 1 hour.

There are indoor Restrooms at Lone Star Park. In addition, there is an air-conditioned lobby area just inside. If you are beginning to feel like the heat is too much for you, PLEASE get help & move to an air-conditioned area!! Our Safety Stewards have bright yellow/neon green hats. Find one of these guys & get help!

Corner Stations will have coolers of ice & water. Every effort will be made to keep these stocked during the event. But, please plan ahead & bring some of your own COLD WATER in addition.

- On last item. Due to SCCA National Solo Rules, Non-SCCA Annual Tech programs can not be honored for this event. SCCA Solo Rules do not recognize Non-SCCA Annual Tech programs. Please understand that this is out of Texas Region’s hands & is not an option for our Tech crew at this time. Per a note from Risk Management at the National Office, there is no leeway on this item.

Thanks,

Brad
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

No link to entry list?

Good luck to everyone on the board competing this weekend!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    No link to entry list?
    https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/cale...selectclubid=8

Good luck to everyone on the board competing this weekend!
    +1 !

Stupid cones.

Fast course. Pedroza is damn quick!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Woke up with another migraine, so I'm out for day 2 . Chris Robbins was flying, yesterday! Believe he had a 45.4 vs. my 48.01. I'll blame that on my totally dead Hoosiers (87 runs) and Chris' totally illegal aero mods Good luck to all you locals on day 2!
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

We missed ya, Mark. I hope you're feeling better.

I was feeling much better on Day 2. I felt horrible on Saturday from the time I woke up. I think it was the heat and work from setup on Friday.

Anyway, I sucked on Saturday, so I was in a 1.5 second hole on Sunday. I was able to crawl part-way out of it on Sunday and move from sixth to fourth. I'm at least happy that I was able to redeem myself (to myself) on Sunday. I was feeling much better from the time I awoke.

The party on Saturday night at the Air Hogs game was great.

It was a great event. Just hot.

Quote Originally Posted by autoxmax View Post
    So, where are the locals??
    Stuck at work. They laid of the one "spare" we had to give us some coverage. So if it's on a schedule work day, it loses.

Dang economy.

Extremely well run event. Kudos to organizers and safety staff for pressing heat awareness. You could write an SOP off this event for worker and participant safety in a high heat environment. Never seen a safety steward walking the grid checking on hydration and actually asking drivers when they last took a pee. (BTW Hal, women have better bladders) Great course and a fun party. Thanks all.

Steve E

I can't believe I allowed an S2000 to creep into 3rd place and take my trophy. :) Great driving by Sean O'Neil, turning great times in an NB with new suspension. The battle goes on...
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
    Never seen a safety steward walking the grid checking on hydration and actually asking drivers when they last took a pee.
    Creepy.

I hope everyone enjoyed the event.

Mr jrj512 designed National level courses that people talked about all weekend. Sunday's course was awesome! Everyone had a blast with most top finishing positions changing every run on Sunday. Competitors were within tenths & hundredths of each other even after 2 days of cumulative times.

It was a welcomed relief to see how the surface of the lot took the abuse from the 2 days of competition.

Most of you might not be aware of an additional award connected to the SOWDIV Solo Divisional series. What I'm referring to is called the SCCA Southwest Divisional Solo Series "Come And Take It!" Regional Challenge trophy. This trophy goes to the region which garners the most points in the SW Divisional series. To be eligible for the trophy, a region must have an average of 5 drivers in the events. Points are awarded similarly to Formula 1; 9 points for 1st place, 6 for 2nd, 4 for 3rd and so on. Only 7 points are awarded if the class winner is the only car in the class.

I'm proud to announce that for 2010, Texas Region has won the award!!

Awesome performance, TX Region Competitors!!!
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
    Extremely well run event. Kudos to organizers and safety staff for pressing heat awareness. You could write an SOP off this event for worker and participant safety in a high heat environment. Never seen a safety steward walking the grid checking on hydration and actually asking drivers when they last took a pee. (BTW Hal, women have better bladders) Great course and a fun party. Thanks all.

Steve E
    Congrats to Mrs Steve E for a very nice weekend! She almost made the trophies in the very competitive W class.
    A Z06 is just like a Miata, but with the other half of the motor . . .

Great event. Thanks to the local SCCA Board members and others who worked their tails off. No issues that I saw and I'm pretty critical. Lots of people going above and beyond.

Too bad the turn out wasn't better, but everything is down this year.

And loading the trailer in 100+ heat after it was over had to be brutal.
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

It was a great event - I had a blast! Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make it happen. It looked like there was actually quite a bit of gravel coming up in a number of spots, but Mark Berry & crew did such awesome job of cleaning it up that it was never really an issue. Two great courses designed by our own jrj512 - he's getting pretty good at these! (I heard a rumor he's designing the new F1 track in Austin!)

Congrats to all the trophy winners from TX Region!

Regarding the heat, it definitely takes its toll running two days back to back. I'd vote for scheduling next year's divs for the spring / fall months and just doing our normal regional events during the hottest days of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by mwortham View Post
    It was a great event - I had a blast! Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make it happen. It looked like there was actually quite a bit of gravel coming up in a number of spots, but Mark Berry & crew did such awesome job of cleaning it up that it was never really an issue. Two great courses designed by our own jrj512 - he's getting pretty good at these! (I heard a rumor he's designing the new F1 track in Austin!)

Congrats to all the trophy winners from TX Region!

Regarding the heat, it definitely takes its toll running two days back to back. I'd vote for scheduling next year's divs for the spring / fall months and just doing our normal regional events during the hottest days of the year.
    We've tried after Nationals, in the fall, before and no one was interested in attending. Worst turnout we'd ever had were in October.

Spring seldom works due to crowded schedule, but I'd prefer that too.

Historically, SoWestDiv events were 2nd weekend of June, July, August
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Hmmm, perhaps an indoor venue is required. Just as they have Supercross in stadiums and the Cowboys stadium is quite large...

Well, I don't want to take anything away from the other drivers, who clearly drove the stink out of their cars, but I feel a little better about not being as fast on Sunday as I expected to...I discovered a broken end link on my front sway bar while servicing the car this evening. I heard some clunking at the end of my final run on Saturday, and found a bottle cap stuck in my tire on that same side as the noise, so I figured that was the problem. Now I understand why the car felt looser than normal on the slaloms and right turns. Something new to watch for in the future.

I think hanging around Ken O is contagious.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post
    No issues that I saw and I'm pretty critical.
    You critical? Never... Especially when we have Bob S. around.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast