Thread: Ejamacate me about Miata clutch kits.

Driver
    Blog Entries

Question Ejamacate me about Miata clutch kits.

My clutch is starting to make noises. Not slipping, just a noise that sounds like a loose, vibrating piece of sheet metal, like a loose heat shield, when the clutch is depressed. I'm guessing that isn't a good sign, and I should start looking at getting a new flywheel and clutch kit.

My Miata is a daily driver, normally aspirated, but I don't baby it. I'll probably spend a day at the auto hobby shop to do it myself when the time comes. Any recommendations as to what to look for in a kit, and what to avoid?

Thanks
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Just get the flywheel turned, or see if you can 'borrow' one from someone, get it turned and have it ready to go.

OEM kit - part number BP07-16-490 -MV

Might at well replace the rear main seal too while the tranny is out.

Driver
    Blog Entries

A new flywheel is only $55 from Autozone; that will let me have a spare to have turned for next time, without any downtime.

What are the pros and cons of the OEM kit compared to the other kits out there, such as ACT, Centerforce, Exedy Performance, etc.? Any advantage (that is worth the cost) for those kits?

Thanks,
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Before you go to the expense and trouble of a clutch replacement, be sure you are certain of the source of the noise. If you're positive that's it, great.

However, I had a noise that seemed to be coming from the transmission area and wasn't. I would have sworn it was a heat shield or cable rattling against the transmission housing under certain conditions. I hadn't gotten around to putting the car up on jackstands to investigate when I found the source unexpectedly. When I was cleaning up the car, I popped the hood to wipe down the engine bay. As I wiped the top of the radiator, I found out one of the support brackets on top of the radiator was loose. I tightened that one nut and the noise was gone. I have NO idea how I ever thought a noise from the top of the radiator was actually near the transmission, but there you go.

The aftermarket clutch kits offer higher clamping forces which is good for cars that produce more power than stock, especially boosted cars, or if your clutch sees a lot of hard running such as in track, autocross, or hard street driving. If your Miata only sees "normal" use the OEM clutch kit will work just fine. Also I wouldn't bother picking up another flywheel just to have a spare around for next time. Clutches really don't fail too often not often enough to keep spare parts on hand for it anyway. Any machine shop should be able to turn your flywheel on the spot it's not a long or hard job and only takes 10 or 15 mins depending on who's doing it.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Driver
    Blog Entries

cwisenheimer - Thanks for the advice. I only get the noise when the clutch pedal is depressed, and I am being more attentive, since the last time I thought it was a clutch issue it turned out to be a water pump. Since the noise sounds like loose sheet metal with an occasional creaky spring thrown in, I'm more sure this time that it is the clutch, but I will check more before ordering parts. I DID just to a water pump and timing belt, so something may be loose, but I don't think I missed anything.

jeepinbanditrider - I'll be doing the work at the NAS JRB Fort Worth auto hobby shop, which doesn't have machining facilities, so I have no choice but to buy a pressure plate. Once I start, I have to finish with what I brought or arrange for a rental car. It turns out that the AutoZone flywheel has a large core charge, so the old flywheel will be going back.

I don't think I subject the car to "hard street driving", but if the clutch is falling apart, the evidence may suggest differently.

Thanks again for the help.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

No kidding? I'm stationed there lol. I'm with VMGR-234
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

the mazda value clutch kit is a good one...I saw it on buyourmazdaparts.com for under $100. Get the rear main seal from O'reilly for $15 or buy the one I didn't use for a bit less :)
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3