Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear Blue Sky -- a roadrally with a Flying theme

Default Clear Blue Sky -- a roadrally with a Flying theme

Lots of people who like cars also like airplanes. If you are one of those, don't miss our next event, the Clear Blue Sky roadrally. The run starts at Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Addison, where a number of interesting planes are on view. Then, leaving the Addison Airport area, we will travel the byroads of North Texas passing a number of airfields, large and small. You will have some questions to answer along the way. We will end at the Vintage Flying Museum at Meacham International Airport in Fort Worth. Here you and your car will be photographed in front of a WWII B-17 bomber, on the tarmac. You will have plenty of time to see the other planes and attractions at the museum.

After a break for scoring and visiting the museum, trophies will be awarded.

Registration opens: 9 am on Saturday, July 31
    Mandatory novice safety briefing at 9:45am, with a rally school immediately following. The first Car will leave the start at 10:31am

The rally flyer has been posted at www.texasscca.org/rally.html . It has more information.

Join us!
    Last edited by sccarally; 07-16-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: announce flyer availability

Registration is now open for the Clear Blue Sky Rally, at

tinyurl.com/CBS10msr

That tinyurl didn't work. Is the flyer going to be posted soon?
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Im down for this one. Any excuse to go to go back out to Cavanaugh and other flight museums.

What is the price for registration and is it per car or per person in the car? Is there a cap on registrants or is it open registration?
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Reply to Jigger and Jeep:
    The tinyurl is case sensitive: CBS10msr must be entered just like that.
    The price is $30 per car. There must be two people (old enough to read) in the car.
    There is no cap on registration, but that has never been a problem. We can handle 60, but we usually get 20-30.

Ahhh, dangit. What time is this thing going to be over?? I just found out we're doing a our fiscal year end audit at work that day and I have to be here to talk the auditors through our system. I have to be in Coppell at noon...I suppose i'm SOL huh?

I'd let someone borrow my car just to get a photo under the B17...
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    Ahhh, dangit. What time is this thing going to be over?? I just found out we're doing a our fiscal year end audit at work that day and I have to be here to talk the auditors through our system. I have to be in Coppell at noon...I suppose i'm SOL huh? I'd let someone borrow my car just to get a photo under the B17...
    Yes, I'm afraid this will take most of the day. If you can make it to Meachum by 5:30 or so, we might be able to get your picture taken. You will have to agree to enter one of our future rallies!
    I'll have a better handle on the time in 10 days or so.

I'm signed up for this event. I was able to sign up through the tinyurl after some trial and error. I'm really looking forward to this. The rallies are always a blast, but throwing in the aircraft is a real bonus. Getting a pic of your car with the B-17 at Meachum is an awesome opportunity. We need to get a load of Miatas out to this.

Signed up :)
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

Default [DFW] Clear Blue Sky Rally prizes!

The Producer/Director of Multimedia Video for Lockheed Martin Aeronautics is an entrant in the Clear Blue Sky Rally. He has kindly offered to bring some videos of the Thunderbirds, the F-35, and the F-22 for us to give away to some lucky entrants.

There is still plenty of time to sign up at www.tinyurl.com/CBS10msr !

I plan on attending, dunno if I'll be running in the MSM or the RX7 turbo vert. Lookin' forward to seeing you guys there.
    85 Rx-7 GSL-destroyed by a Durango
    04 MSM-mostly stock
    85 Rx-7 GSL(SE'd)-High compression half-bridged 13B, 650 holley. Now with MORE BRIDGEPORT.
    1979 Spark Yellow SA Rx7 - Restoring to it's former glory 1/36th of a paycheck at a time.

I need newbie road-rally advice I'm thinking about attending this event with my 14 year old daughter as the navigator.

Back in the day I ran a lot of Rally's with the Red River Triumph Club with my dad and that is were I learned most of the profanity I still use to this very day...... How critical is the position of navigator in an SCCA Rally??

This is also my first time, so I've gotta get there in time for the newbie class. My navigator (my girlfriend) is also new to this so it'll be a learning experience. :)

As stated above any pointers for the newbs.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I need newbie road-rally advice I'm thinking about attending this event with my 14 year old daughter as the navigator.

Back in the day I ran a lot of Rally's with the Red River Triumph Club with my dad and that is were I learned most of the profanity I still use to this very day...... How critical is the position of navigator in an SCCA Rally??
    Another question is there a minimum age for participants of an SCCA Rally?

Is this something we will be running numbers on our doors for?? Or can we run the cars "slick"?
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

Default Welcome newbies!

Reply to the last four posts:
    We require at least two people in the car. There is no minimum age, but the navigator must be able to read. There are too many distractions for the driver, if he doesn't have help. Some kids really take to the navigator task and do quite well. To score well, you must work as a team, both staying on course, and looking for clues. It is important to come to the rally school that will be given at the start; it will be about 9:45, so get there early enough to get your registration out of the way before the school starts. We open at 9:00am. Be sure to preregister at www.tinyurl.com/CBS10msr ; people who preregister get sent the "General Instructions" early to study. Bring a clipboard, a pencil, and a bottle of water. No, we don't run with numbers on the cars. That tends to attract attention which we don't really want during the event. Like any sport, you need to do it a few times before you get really good at it. But we do have a "First Timer" class, so some newbie is going to take home a trophy.
    sccarally

I preregistered a few days ago. Are the general instructions sent out early or did I miss them or something?? Any rules on electronic devices in the cars?
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

The auditors just canceled at work, so im free once again that weekend, wohoo! I'll be there. Man now I gotta wax my car this weekend...
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 07-23-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    I preregistered a few days ago. Are the general instructions sent out early or did I miss them or something?? Any rules on electronic devices in the cars?
    No, we won't send them until early next week. But we will email them out to anyone who registers up until Thursday night.
    No rules against GPS units or the such. But some roads on GPS don't look like the actual roads, and we know where they are!

Stupid question:

Are the admissions to Cavanaugh and Meacham covered in the registration fee or are they extra?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast