Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Place to Put Jack Stands?

Default Best Place to Put Jack Stands?

So, I need to lift the rear of the car to complete the drilling of the rollbar holes tonight. Both rear wheels must be up at the same time. I confess: being under the car while pushing on it with a power drill makes me very nervous.

Where's the best place toward the rear of the car to locate the jack stands to prevent a srivendel/hospital meet-up? I know to put tire chocks in front of the front tires, and I have sturdy jack stands and a floor jack. Anything else I'm missing?

Apprehensively,

S.

I always place the jack stands at the factor jacking points. You can use the rear end as a jacking point.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

On the rocker panels (toward front and rear of car), you will see 2 'drain' holes/slits. Put the stand in between the 2 holes/slits.

My stands don't have grooves for the jacking points to slip into. The stands are U shaped. I've used the factory jack many times on Miatas, but it was always for rotating tires and the like. It seems like the U shaped jack stands will cause the thin metal point of the factory jack point to buckle since there's no straight groove in the jack stands for the jack point to tuck into. Or is there a part of the frame behind the jacking point where the stands fit?

Confusedly,

S.

Set it down gently and you'll be fine. Only altiain seems to be able to buckle the pinch seam.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Set it down gently and you'll be fine. Only altiain seems to be able to buckle the pinch seam.
    It took me years of hard work to do that. :P

BTW, that's not true. lugnutjon's pinch rails look a lot worse than mine. They're just hidden by the side skirts.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Dumb question #3,782: How do I fit the jack stand under the pinch seam if the jack is there?

S.

If your jack won't fit under the car then drive the rear tires up on 2x6's and that should be enough to get the jack under the car...

<edit>
    OOPS... if I could read...

I used 2x6s and drove up on those... then took a floor jack under the pumpkin to raise the car up enough to put it on jack stands.
    </edit>

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Dumb question #3,782: How do I fit the jack stand under the pinch seam if the jack is there?

S.
    Dumb answer #3,782: We put the jack under the side mirror, then you can set both jack stands for that side. Fear not!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    pumpkin
    Sorry, but come again?

S.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    pumpkin
    Sorry, but come again?

S.
    The differential housing. The round thing between the back tires under the car. :P

Ahhhhh. Yes, good call. This is one of the few times I've ever wished I drove a body-on-frame car.

I'm really not as slow as I look (nor as slow as the guy in my avatar picture looks). This is just a new experience. I'm trying hard to prevent it from ending badly! You guys are, as always, awesome.

S.

If you're concerned about the pinch rails, use the 2x2 frame rails that are another 8-10" further inboard, as far rearward as you can where they are still flat. Not only is it more sturdy, the jack stands aren't in the way when you're working around the wheel area. For the front, put the jackstands under the rear a-arm mounting bracket, for the same reason...... If you use the "normal" jack positions, use the floor jack on the front cross member and the diff. There is less chance of bending the seams as the car goes up evenly, side-to-side. Of course, if you have a lift....problem solved
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

I would jack the whole car up and use jack stands on all 4 points.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Screw
    What he said...

BTW, my pinch rails look like hell, so altiain isn't the only one with mangled rails.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by The :batman: board
    You can take hockey pucks and cut slots in them and use that with your jack or stands to keep from pinching the rail.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Screw
    What he said...

BTW, my pinch rails look like hell, so altiain isn't the only one with mangled rails.
    Me three... pinch rails have been severly pinched...

OK. Driver's side holes are drilled and bolts are in. Pax lower holes and bolts are in. Now I just need to drill two of the parcel tray pax holes. And, of course, the 3/4 inch holes to reroute the ABS lines. I think I'll have to rent a drill from Home Depot that has a bigger driver for that one. Mine will not hold such a big bit.

Never fear, though. Progress is being made!

As for the jack stands, I used the frame rails about 8" inside from the sides. They worl really well. I have tire chucks in front. It seems to be a very stable set up. Thanks again everone for all the advice and help.

S.

I know on my car I did not need to relocate the ABS lines eventhough it said I would. You may want to check this out before you go renting a drill.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast