Thread: Android Apps

Default Android Apps

Post your favorite Android apps here. I pulled some Android Application recomendations from POS's old HERO thread to get us started:

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    My favorite are the following:
    Google Maps (for live crowd-sourced traffic info)
    Yelp
    Trapster (crowd-sourced hiding spot locations for radar w/ google traffic overlay)
    The Weather Channel app
    Advanced Task Killer
    Flashlight
    Compare Everywhere (uses camera to scan bar codes and compare prices online)
    Google Skymap

Gizmodo has a great list of apps:
    http://gizmodo.com/5423054/essential-android-apps/

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    My favorite apps so far are Google Maps, Google Places, Weatherbug Elite and NewsRob for RSS feeds. Google Sky Map is fun to play with, as is GPS Status and the Google Goggles beta.

ES File Explorer has a lot of nice features in addition to being a file manager, like the ability to browse your local network (via WiFi) and has now added FTP as well.

I use CurveFish's widgets for WiFi On/Off, Bluetooth On/Off, 2G 3G On/Off (when I'm not browsing the web or downloading apps, switching to 2G-only saves tons of battery), and Brightness Level. They're just shortcuts so I don't have to dig through the settings menu to toggle them on and off.

I'm not sure how good the web browser is on the Hero, but the default one on mine sucks, so I use Dolphin Browser, but I'm also awaiting the release of Fennec, which is shaping up to be much, much better than any other mobile browser on the market.

There's a mobile version of Photoshop that gives you limited photo editing functions, Wapedia for Wikipedia articles, Amazon.com has an app, and there are many apps for tracking exercise and weight loss, if you're into that sort of thing. Usually about once a week I'll just browse the Market just to see what's there.

A hearty second to the info Miatamaniac gave you. There's dozens of Android-centric websites which all have their own recommendations, but the Gizmodo list covers most of the best apps out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by CobaltFire View Post
    I typically use Google Maps, GMail, and PDANet for Tethering.

I have had my phone since Monday and have installed many free apps, most of which were lame so where quickly uninstalled. What has stayed so far and not mentioned already:

Facebook- duh

SyncMyPix- This compares your contact list to your Facebook Friends list, and downloads the profile pics of those that match. It then assigns the picture to the contact so you see their picture on the phone when they call. Now if POS calls me, I will see that ugly ass POS III picture on my phone. You can also set it up to automatically check for updated profile pics on regular intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Now if POS calls me, I will see that ugly ass POS III picture on my phone. You can also set it up to automatically check for updated profile pics on regular intervals.
    F/U Titus!

As far as apps go
    • Google Shopper has saved me some pennies!
    • Google Voice for my "home" phone!
    • Slacker for tunes

Mine are pretty lame, but here goes.

Accuweather: I switch back and fourth between this one and The Weather Channel app when I hear thunder. Acuweather has a satellite image and The Weather Channel has a doppler or radar, it might be the other way around. WeatherUnderground has a decent mobile page, they need to come out with an app allready.

Astro: good file browser, a must for android.

Barcode scanner: I use this along with compare anywhere and shop savy, I think it has (or had) a bigger search database, and a better scanner.

Craigsphone: A little clunky, but works. sometimes it's just easier to go to craigslist through the browser

Ehow: Just downloaded it, haven't used it. But it's ehow, it must be awesome.

Flixter: Worked great back in the day when I could go to a movie freely without having to source a babysitter.

Google Maps: Already mentioned, use it all the time, great app. Make sure you update it though, they've made some nice improvements lately and release updates frequently.

Tmobile My Account: Wonderful app if you have T-Mobile. Anythign about your account, usage stats and everything. You can even pay your bill through it.

Orienteer: Good compass and speedometer app.

Pandora: This goes without saying that it's a must have for anyone who's phone supports it. Usually listen at work, but I also use it in the car sometimes, mainly on trips when I hit a city with 3G coverage.

PDAnet: At the time was the only tether app for Android. Worked great, but haven't used it in awhile.

Photobucket: Decent app. Didn't realize it automatically uplpades any photo you take on your phone without asking. I logged on to photobucket one day to see 10 random photos that I never uploaded and was like...wow, well that's good to know...

Pocket Auctions Ebay app: Use it all the time. Works very well when your ebay item ends when you're at a restaurant or in a movie. Careful though, it's very easy to accidentilly buy something. I did that once.

Poke-A-Mole: Self explanitory, fun game.

I haven't downloaded new apps in a very long time. My G1 is getting outdated, locks up all the time, and my battery went to hell so I don't have much time on the phone unless it's plugged into my laptop, and then, well I have a laptop.
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 08-06-2010 at 09:36 AM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Here's my list:

WYSE PocketCloud BETA: the best RDP app i have found so far, plus it's free. Easy to set up, smooth even on 3G, and really functional easy to use interface
    Tmobile My Account: handy for looking up your acct info on the fly
    Astro
    Barcode Scanner
    Pandora
    ConvertPad: sweet, easy to use, free converter application. really custimizable look and the ability to setup favorite/frequently used units, costom unit conversions
    (there is also a PeriodicTable app from the same dveloper for the real geek in all of us, easy to use and really indepth info)
    WiFi Analyzer: handy for looking for wifi signals and their strengths
    Verizon FIOS DVR: set up and look up shows on your home DVR
    Google Maps: great for everything from looking for donut shops to bike trails, excelent navigation feature no need for Garmins or TomToms
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Are there any good sites to check out to get the Apps. I upgraded from my 2year old LG Dare to a Droid Incredible on Thursday night , An my Droid wont get here until Monday

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

my evo 4g is getting returned, the g3 network is ~.8mb with full bars and my iphone is ~1.5mb with 1/2 bars every where i go in plano =(

Here's the Apps I have:

Vignette Paid App) great camera easily over 40 different filters/effects if you take lots of pics I highly recommend this app
    Fx Camera :great upgrade over the stock camera on the Incredible, but not as good as Vignette
    Picsay Pro : Photo editing App Supposedly better than Photoshop Mobile but I have no exp. with PSM so I can't Judge
    Google Maps: self explanatory
    Bubble: its a level
    Urbanspoon : find food with reviews
    Advance Task Manager: self explanatory
    ShopSavy: Barcode Scanner
    TapatalkPro: for Forums
    Trapster: tells locations of Redlight cameras and speedtraps
    Ringtone: 1,000's of free ringtones
    ForzaDroid: car setup tool for forza 3
    Dr Web: anti virus

Then I have all of the normal reloaded ones the Advance Task Manager is a huge battery saver in conjunction with turning off the mobile internet

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

woot, they did a profile change i got .5mb more.

right now i have
    aCar (mpg and reminder for oil changes ect)
    flikie hd wallpaper (grate source for hd wallpaper)
    pandora radio
    usaa
    Chronogps (laptimer)
    ForzaDroid
    and it has a nascar app

my phone came with google maps