Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Portable A/C unit?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Ya know ya do till one of your Banjo playing redneck knuckle dragging inbreeding neighbors decides to go above and beyond to make your street look like ass.

Then you can learn to appreciate some of what the HOA does.
    LMAO. Funny you mention that: when we were looking at houses, we were almost sold on one. We loved the house, location, etc etc. Then we took a different route from the house. The road right behind it had a dayglo yellow house with even more daygloy green trim. IIRC the front door was bright blue.

OK back to the project!

So some of you don't like my set it in the attic plan what about this!

What if you hung the a/c unit from the rafters in the garage and duct the exhaust side to the attic. Would that be more efficient? It also eliminates the need to worry about the water since it could just drip to the garage floor.

I understand why they exist but it's possible to screen for that kinda stuff without being overbearing over everyone else. Me having a few weeds in my yard or my car on jackstands for 1 day IMO is not reason enough to harass me or write me little fines that you try to force me to pay. Now if bubba joe down the road starts having broke down wrecks in his yard and a trash strewn about flex your Hitler mustache all you want.

Hell in some HOAs now they won't even let their residents have motorcycles at their own homes. That's f'in craziness to me. Run out the ones with out of reg exhausts if you want but telling me I can't have one piece of property I paid for at another piece of protery I paid for is just insane.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

It's just not the heat being exchanged those window units produce a lot of radiant heat also.

I think the attic plan would work as long as your duct covered the whole front of the A/C unit and made some kind of seal even if it's just a tight/close fit. It would be no different than hanging it out of a window but you would still have the condensation issue to work out which you could do with a catch pan and some tubing.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

if you suspended it and made a duct to the attic with fiberboard and tape that would work.

now all those college classes are coming back to me..
    95 r white

I've thought about one of these - A/C and HEAT!!

Quote Originally Posted by wrx74 View Post
    I've thought about one of these - A/C and HEAT!!
    Holly cow ! Price : US $849.94 (Plus $120.00 shipping!)

Maybe if I lived in the garage but I'm wanting to use it a couple days a month on average.....

Holly cow ! Price : US $849.94 (Plus $120.00 shipping!)

Maybe if I lived in the garage but I'm wanting to use it a couple days a month on average.....
    Buy KenO's IcePad?

Blog Entries

your central AC ducts are in the attic right. Run a spur off your central AC in to the garage and get a shut off vane for days you are not in the garage.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wrx74 View Post
    Buy KenO's IcePad?
    It's not for sale anymore.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

How about going over to Lowes and getting a whole house fan to suck in the cool air from outside. It will help cool the attic while bringing in a cross draft if you set it near the house door. I really don't think that a portable unit or a window unit will have enough airflow to keep your garage cool. Even the ductless lacks the CFM of a packaged unit or split system A/C.

Talk to an A/C guy. I am sure they will have a couple of used pieces that will work for dirt cheap.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    your central AC ducts are in the attic right. Run a spur off your central AC in to the garage and get a shut off vane for days you are not in the garage.

Now that you mention this, that is what a guy I know in Dallas did to get AC into his garage. My ducts aren't in that space above my garage, but close and easy enough to route it there. No idea why I completely overlooked this one. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    God I hate HOAs.
    X2

I plumbed a/c and heat vents to my garage (one from each system) when I built my house. I just shut them off when I don't need them.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Just buy a house with a dedicated HVAC unit for the garage. I did.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Man worked in the garage last night and first thing this morning.... It just makes me want a/c even more!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

We had breakfast at Jay Jay Cafe this morning. There was a window unit sitting in the pass-thru between the kitchen and eating area with the cold side toward the eating side. Thought of your attic stairs idea and wondered how the kitchen staff liked this arrangement.

The staff was slammed with all the regulars and half the people we see at our regular place (closed for vacation) so I didn't ask how well it worked.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Man worked in the garage last night and first thing this morning.... It just makes me want a/c even more!

Same. I was in my garage for about 4 hours Saturday morning. Wasn't as bad as it's been, but I was >< close to calling an AC place and writing a check.

I'm tempted to go in the attic with some ducting and add a piece to go to the garage's crawlspace hole lol.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    I'm tempted to go in the attic with some ducting and add a piece to go to the garage's crawlspace hole lol.
    Wonder how much that would help how many BTU is a single vent going to be??

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast