Thread: Driveshaft

Driver
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Driveshaft

My u-joints are noisy, so I ordered and quickly received a driveshaft from Wholesaleimportparts.com. I was happy to see that the u-joints have grease fittings. Unfortunately, after a couple of hours of trying to install the new driveshaft, I realized that the order was placed for an Automatic vice Manual driveshaft, so I had to put the notchy, noisy shaft back in for the moment. I just let Wholesaleimportparts know that I ordered the wrong shaft. Hopefully, the swap will be quick and easy.

I did learn the value of a C-clamp while doing the removal-reinstall. The C-clamp held the exhaust just far enough away to slide the driveshaft in and out. I also learned that the power plant frame has sharp edges, and the back of my right hand has dozens of tiny cuts as evidence.
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Why not just replace the u-joints? It is like $20 in parts and takes about 30 minutes (an hour if you are a noob).
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

^really?? Mine are noisy too and I read that they were pressed in and not designed to be swapped, you had to get a machine shop to modify something. Ive been preparing to get a new(er) driveshaft which is obviously expensive. That would be awesome if it really were as easy as swapping the u-joints.

Do post if you have a link or more info.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Driver
    Blog Entries

I have the old driveshaft (for 1.8L, manual transmission,) with bad u-joints sitting in my garage. If someone wants to try swapping the bad u-joints for good, let me know, and the driveshaft is yours.
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio