Thread: Suspension upgrades

Default Suspension upgrades

I'm trying to formulize a plan to get my car to the point of where I want it to be in terms of upgrades etc. Just trying to lay things out and set a plan etc. So, I'll be asking lots of questions I'm sure. :)

One item is suspension. I've read that the NA stock stuff is not great, wears out quickly etc. So, to start this is going to mainly be a street car/daily driver but I do want it to be as responsive/agressive as feasibly/usuable as possible for that type of car. Any suggetions for an adequate but not full blown track suspension package? Should I even worry about coil overs or something of that nature or just go buy some upgraded shocks? I've done some searching and looking and the prices can be a bit eye-popping for some of the popular chocies and I am sure they are well worth it depending on how you use the car. I just dont think I am ever going to get deep into that sort of thing. Plus, my wife would shoot me dead if I went out and bought some high dollar set of coil overs. :)

I guess maybe something that would be better is to look for a game plan on what mods to do first. Sort of a road map to get to get where I want to go. Tires, wheels, suspension, exhaust and so forth.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

i have some tien flex i maybe looking to sell

First don't believe everything you read on Miata.net (or here) lots of valid opinions and good advice but some clueless folks as well.

You really need to figure out what the cars primary role will be and how much you want to spend.

For me mine is an SCCA Stock Class Autocross car and my wifes Miata is a daily driver.

For a Street car the Koni STR may be a worthwhile and cost effective update plan to put those under the wife's car this winter, or maybe a set of Bilstiens......

More here -> http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...on/Shocks.html

I'll like a larger front sway-bar but I do Autocross the car regularly.

Let us know if you need any help lots of us west-siders have experience changing the shocks on a Miata!

Let's do this by price/performance:

A stock miata is a fairly capable car. If you just want a nice ride, you can replace blown stock shocks with KYB GR2 or Koni Str.t and maybe add some thicker sway bars. Those shocks should cost ~$400, sways will be $1-200 depending on whether you get just a front bar or front and rear bar.

The next step up from there would probably be Koni Sports or Tokico Illumina. Those will cost close to $5-600, but will work great with the stock springs (and stiffer ones like the Flyin Miatas if you want to upgrade). Again, you can add sway bars if you want. I think if I just wanted a street car that handled well and I didnt want to spend more than $1,000 I'd take a hard look at the flyin miata illumina/spring combo. Everyone who has that combo seems to be happy both with ride and performance. That setup should take good care of you for the occasional/casual track day.

If you want a better setup than that, I think the next rung up the ladder is the Tein Flex for $1400 or so. The next step up from that IMHO would be a custom coilover from FatCat Motorsports. I think a set of those runs $1800 or so shipped, but they are REALLY nice. I've ridden in a car with the Flex and with the FatCats. The Flex felt great (I think that car had the standard Tein spring rates of 391 lb/in front and 336 lb/in rear). A very nice coilover for sure, and VERY competent at the track from what I hear. It has the added benefits of being very adjustable (variable shock length, variable spring perch, and 16 different shock settings). But, I have to say that the FatCats rode even better (and they were on 525 lb/in front springs and 350 rear lb/in rear). The FatCats only have an adjustable spring perch. The shock length and damping are fixed (unless you spring for the adjustable coilovers that FatCat sells...). I was dead set on the Flex until I rode in a car with the FatCats. Now I'm torn. They are both great setups.

That's probably more than you wanted to know... I've been reading about suspension for months now and I'm still just as clueless as ever as to what I will end up buying... Probably the best thing you can do is come out to Kellers some Wednesday night (like tonight) and try to ride in cars with different setups...

Good luck!
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    First don't believe everything you read on Miata.net (or here) lots of valid opinions and good advice but some clueless folks as well.

You really need to figure out what the cars primary role will be and how much you want to spend.

For me mine is an SCCA Stock Class Autocross car and my wifes Miata is a daily driver.

For a Street car the Koni STR may be a worthwhile and cost effective update plan to put those under the wife's car this winter, or maybe a set of Bilstiens......

More here -> http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...on/Shocks.html

I'll like a larger front sway-bar but I do Autocross the car regularly.

Let us know if you need any help lots of us west-siders have experience changing the shocks on a Miata!

So, keep the stick springs with those? It gets mind numbing reading about bump stops, perch heights, some springs not being stiff enough for a certain shock etc. Then, some springs will lower the car etc. Kind of on a different note but affected I guess is wheels and tires. Mine came with new tires but plain vanilla on the stock 14 inch wheels. Part of the upgrade process is going to involve new wheels. I would think tler wheels would look better?

I think the general consensus on wheels is that 15" are the best compromise between looks and performance. Also, the lighter the better as the miata does not like heavy wheels. I'd shoot for 13 lbs and under if I were you. I noticed a huge difference in how the car felt going from the stock 14" wheels with old all seasons to 15" wheels with new summer tires.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Thanks. All of this will be done over a bit of time but I just like to have a plan and an idea of what needs to be done etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    Let's do this by price/performance:
    One option you skipped over is the relatively new Flyin Miata V-Maxx coilover suspension. The ride height is then adjustable, although the shocks aren't (their settings were chosen by FM after mucho testing). For less than half the cost of the FCM set-up you can get springs, shocks, upper mounts, and bushings. See: http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...0%20%201990-97 I haven't tried it, but it seems worth looking into.

FM did not adjust the shocks. They revised the bumpstps and reduced the rear spring rate for a better balance. They have gotten good reviews from initial users, but long term reliability is unknown. I know there is a price difference, but I'd get the Tein Basic over the Vmaxx just because Tein has an established reputation...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green