Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NTAXS Autocross #4, 9/18/2010, Mineral Wells Airport

Damn Ken - how many times did you go to third on that run? I didn't realize the M3's 2nd gear was that short.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Damn Ken - how many times did you go to third on that run? I didn't realize the M3's 2nd gear was that short.
    Too many! I was playing with short shifting to see if it helped any. Plus I was bouncing off the rev limit too much for my comfort. Looking at the video it looks like 2nd max out at 64mph.
    M3 is always the answer.

I really liked the course. Pucker factor was high after running on short courses all summer, and I loved how much you had to work in 90 seconds. The sway bar changes really made a difference on improving turn-in, as Wortham clearly demonstrated for me. I'll need to learn to handle the slightly more tail-happy nature of the setup, but I'm convinced the car will be faster now. Good job Jimmy Jan!

For anyone who hasn't come-out to an NTAXS event yet, you might be missing one of the best kept secrets in DFW autocross: 9 runs of 90 seconds+, lunch break, shade, tunes, ice cold water, no more than 60 drivers, easy classing, $25 ... what's not to love?
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    Too many! I was playing with short shifting to see if it helped any. Plus I was bouncing off the rev limit too much for my comfort. The speedometer says 63MPH max but I think it is more like 58MPH.
    I had to go into 3rd a ton too. Actually went into 4th a couple of times on the end of the long sweeper, but it really didn't add much, other than getting me up to almost 80.
    Polished Turd Racing

In the DSG with it's short gearing I was having to be all over the place from 2nd to 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    In the DSG with it's short gearing I was having to be all over the place from 2nd to 4th.
    STU cars are like that.
    Polished Turd Racing

Haha I guess with the tune on in scca classing the car would be in a prepared class or something, but that is the reason I don't normally goto ER or SCCA events. It's pretty silly though as the car does not really gain anything on the tune through 2nd gear. In 3rd and 4th though it is a bit faster then the stock car which normally only matters for time trials, but this weekend was a bit faster of a course.
    Mike you can call my non-competitive car whichever class car you like, just keep giving me work assignments other than corner work

Here was my fastest run, a 91.876 before I just tried to be super greedy in the afternoon to miracle jump Iain and get into 2nd because I had 3rd held down.

Here was a bit of a moment I had on one of my runs
    Last edited by 762; 09-20-2010 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    Too many! I was playing with short shifting to see if it helped any. Plus I was bouncing off the rev limit too much for my comfort. Looking at the video it looks like 2nd max out at 64mph.
    Yeah, I ended up going to 3rd twice, and I think I was brushing the limiter in three other places. Yay for 9500 rpm fuel cut.

I forgot to turn the camera off after the morning runs, so I don't have anything from the afternoon. Hopefully I can find time tonight to edit one of the morning runs to post for comparison.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Ran PAX numbers on the top five cars (which are all active SCCA cars anyway):

• Ken O – 88.702 * .844 (STU) = 74.864
    • Mark W – 89.562 * .842 (STR) = 75.411
    • Iain P – 89.797 * .830 (STX) = 74.531
    • David W – 90.429 * .826 (STS) = 74.694
    • Kenny B – 90.811 * .840 (CS) = 76.281
    Iain

Stupid soft STX pax. How is it that your pax is softer than Kenny in a stock RX8?? :)
    Polished Turd Racing

Ran PAX numbers on the top five cars (which are all active SCCA cars anyway):

• Ken O – 88.702 * .844 (STU) = 74.864
    • Mark W – 89.562 * .842 (STR) = 75.411
    • Iain P – 89.797 * .830 (STX) = 74.531
    • David W – 90.429 * .826 (STS) = 74.694
    • Kenny B – 90.811 * .840 (CS) = 76.281
    But I am in an STX car.
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Stupid soft STX pax. How is it that your pax is softer than Kenny in a stock RX8?? :)
    'Cause Kenny gets to run 285mm Hoosiers while I'm limited to 265mm street tires.

Ken, your car may be an uncompetitive STU car, but it ain't no STX car.

Don't forget that STX was won this year by an ST Civic (stupid Civics! ). If anything, our PAX should get softer next year.
    Iain

Autocross is stupid.
    Polished Turd Racing

'Cause Kenny gets to run 285mm Hoosiers while I'm limited to 265mm street tires.
    Just a clarification. My fastest time was in a Class 2 car. My best time was in Iain's STX car by over a second.
    The Hoosier drivers were all driving on rocks with no grip.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Autocross is stupid.
    Quiet, Jeffman.

[QUOTE=762;220414]
    Here was a bit of a moment I had on one of my runs
    QUOTE]

Lots of people spun there, I know I did and it was fun on one of my runs. I did not catch it as quick as you did so I went most of the way around. I remember David saying on our walk through people would give up too much speed on that area so I tried to make sure that did not happen, guess I did not give up enough speed.

There was definitely less grip in that area for some reason. I tried running both tight and wide and nothing worked well. I kept on thinking it would get better as the day went on but it did not improve.

Better late than never... my fastest morning run. Forgot to turn the camera off at lunch and didn't get video fo the afternoon runs.

Iain

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123