Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ER Challenge Cup #7, Sun 9/26/10, Pennington Field

Default ER Challenge Cup #7, Sun 9/26/10, Pennington Field

More info at http://www.autocross.com/er.

This will be their last event at PMS this season, so get 'em while they're hot!

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I'm planning to be there.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Driver

out, wife has class and I have to play daddy.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    wife has class
    Not if she's married to you.

Count me in, this will be my first autocross event as a novice. Currently I am not a member of any club. My goal is to race the Oct 17th event at TMS, but I'll need to race the next three weekends straight to meet the minimum ax experience requirement. In looking at the Calendar I can accomplish that by running with ER this week, either PCA or TR SCCA 10/3, ER in Mineral Wells on 10/10, and finally with TR SCCA at TMS on 10/17.

So, how do I know what number I may use? I'd like a number that can be used at all events and clubs without having to change it (this year or future years). Is there a master listing of already assigned numbers at all these clubs? What about class letters, I'm thinking I'll be STS since I'm in a stock 90 Miata, I assume this is the same across all clubs?

I was thinking of using decals instead of magnetic numbers/letters. I don't plan on driving my miata except for autocross, so being permanent isn't a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by marmed View Post
    Only ER and SCCA share classing. Assuming that your car is stock on street tires, you will be in TES (Tire E-Stock) in at ER and SCCA events. You will be in Class 1 at NTAXS events. You will be in Class X at BMW events. You will be, I believe, in Class 3x at PCA events.

Only SCCA and ER events require you to have the class info on your car. The rest of the clubs just need numbers. I would not invest in permanent numbers until you find a number that works everywhere.

At all clubs accept ER, you can select your number when you pre-register. You cannot pre-register at ER unless you pre-pay for the entire year at the beginning of the year, so you will just have to wait until Sunday to register at the site.

Alas, I will be at the BMW AX event in Mineral Wells. Otherwise, I would be happy to help you out at the site.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Only ER and SCCA share classing. Assuming that your car is stock on street tires, you will be in TES (Tire E-Stock) in at ER and SCCA events. You will be in Class 1 at NTAXS events. You will be in Class X at BMW events. You will be, I believe, in Class 3x at PCA events.

Only SCCA and ER events require you to have the class info on your car. The rest of the clubs just need numbers. I would not invest in permanent numbers until you find a number that works everywhere.

At all clubs accept ER, you can select your number when you pre-register. You cannot pre-register at ER unless you pre-pay for the entire year at the beginning of the year, so you will just have to wait until Sunday to register at the site.

Alas, I will be at the BMW AX event in Mineral Wells. Otherwise, I would be happy to help you out at the site.
    What JRJ512 failed to notice is that you even know you will be in NOVICE class with SCCA and ER - ie: NES.

The rest of the clubs don't have a novice class, and he got that part right.

I'd go with contrasting masking tape for the first few events. Blue painter's tape, as I'm sure you know, is relatively harmless. That is unless the car is blue.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I'll be there and am willing to help. My number this year is 61, not the 91 in my avatar, E Stock. I'll look for the Bumble Bee Miata.

Also, I will be at Einstein Brothers Bagels at 7am. 2200 Airport Fwy # 500 Bedford, TX 76022

I'll wear a long sleeved blue Hallett Motor Racing Circuit shirt.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    I'll be there and am willing to help. My number this year is 61, not the 91 in my avatar, E Stock. I'll look for the Bumble Bee Miata.

Also, I will be at Einstein Brothers Bagels at 7am. 2200 Airport Fwy # 500 Bedford, TX 76022

I'll wear a long sleeved blue Hallett Motor Racing Circuit shirt.
    lol.. right I'll be in the Bumblebee, and Greg is his GS. Thanks, I guess I won't worry about the number, I'll bring masking tape or painters tape with me.

Marmed, with a stock car on street tires you could be in a few different classes. You can always "upclass" - i.e. run in the class your car with mods would be in. Your Miata could be in (SCCA and ER) STS or a Street Prepared or Mod class, but most likely your butt would be handed back to you on a platter, complete with a side of spaghetti and parsley garnish.

As a beginner you can do the novice class, which is a good idea since you can't be in it for long. I believe ER and SCCA share the "once you trophy you can't run novice anymore" policy. But you could also run in the street tire class with an ES pax with TES on your car assuming, like jrj said, that your tires' treadwear rating is 140 or above (non race tires).

It's up to you. If you plan on autoxing regaulary, this may be a good time to try a few different classes to determine which one you like. This late in the season you probably don't have a chance for a year end points trophy, so it's a good opportunity to experiment. Keep that masking tape handy, good luck and welcome to the sport!
    "Dammit, H. I. - the sun don't rise and set on the corner grocer." - Gale Smolts

Driver

ER you can run Novice all year. SCCA after 3 wins you get a battlefield promotion out of N.

Personally I'd run "N" (coming from the 2008 ER "N" season Champion)

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    SCCA after 3 wins you get a battlefield promotion out of N.
    I believe it's one win these days.

So what can a couple of newbie's expect our first day out? I hear I'll probably run fairly slow times, and most likely not finish the first few races (dnf?). I'm just hoping my car makes it, it sat out in the country with very little driving before I bought it. I changed the oil today and checked the other fluids, all seem to look good. No leaks, except for a damp right rear shock. The tires are no-name brand but have good tread.

Will we be standing out watching cones between races? That is probably the only thing I'm not looking forward to. I'm a Colorado man, and after 10 years in Ft Worth, I still think it's way too hot here, standing in the heat in a parking lot just doesn't sound fun..lol.

However, I just spent labor day weekend four-wheeling in my Grand Cherokee, with the AC off and crawling at .1 mph all day long in severe heat and with lots of dust... and that was fun, so maybe I'll be okay.

+1 on running "novice" in the clubs that allow it. You'll feel much less intimidated running with others who are new to the sport and not like you'll never get fast, which is how I felt the first time I ran in the "open" class. Also, car-prep is much less of an issue in novice.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Get their early and walk the course 2-3 times. After you walk the course try running the course in your mind, if you cannot remember where to go, walk it again. If you can remember where to go, run it 2-3 more times in your mind this will help a lot when the cones are coming at you at 45 mph.

The number one thing to do when driving is look ahead, this will help a ton with staying on course and driving the correct line.

I would recommend getting in the back of the grid and bumming a ride around the course with one of the experienced drivers before your run. The course will look a lot different at speed than during the course walk, and don't forget to have fun.
    Last edited by Robert; 09-23-2010 at 08:42 AM.

Anybody know who is designing the course?

Quote Originally Posted by marmed View Post
    So what can a couple of newbie's expect our first day out? I hear I'll probably run fairly slow times, and most likely not finish the first few races (dnf?). I'm just hoping my car makes it, it sat out in the country with very little driving before I bought it. I changed the oil today and checked the other fluids, all seem to look good. No leaks, except for a damp right rear shock. The tires are no-name brand but have good tread.

Will we be standing out watching cones between races? That is probably the only thing I'm not looking forward to. I'm a Colorado man, and after 10 years in Ft Worth, I still think it's way too hot here, standing in the heat in a parking lot just doesn't sound fun..lol.

However, I just spent labor day weekend four-wheeling in my Grand Cherokee, with the AC off and crawling at .1 mph all day long in severe heat and with lots of dust... and that was fun, so maybe I'll be okay.

Working the course is not bad. In fact it is probably my favorite job. You get to see all the lines alot of the fast guys are running. Your gonna be working with at least one experienced guy/lady at you corner, and during breaks in the action I'm sure they can explain alot to you. Just make sure you bring a hat, shades, sunscreen, and plenty of hydrating drinks.

Like Robert said, get as many rides as you can, especially early in the heat. And have some of the instructors ride with you.

DFW has alot of great people. All are willing to help you out, especially the guys hanging around on this site. Sure the weather is hot, but since I moved, 3 of my 5 days racing up here have been in the rain. Running and working in the dry is a whole lot more fun.

Anybody know who is designing the course?
    monkey course.JPG
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I plan to be there to try my 1st time auto crossing. What should I bring? I dont know enough about tire temps to bring a sprayer, I know to bring a tire pressure gauge and make sure as they heat up to keep the pressure consistent. I know to take everything loose out of the car, but what should I set my tires at? 40psi? Ill be driving the car there, unlike the Bumblebee which is a trailer queen. hehe

I might even make it for bagels! heh See you guys at 7!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast