Thread: I need a mechanc in fort worth or I will drive to u

Default I need a mechanc in fort worth or I will drive to u

I need someone to take a look at my car. I dont want to take it to a shop.
    The problem is either a wheel bearing or the axle. There is a lot of noise coming from the rear driver side. When I pull on the wheel I can see the axle move back and forth. Car still drives fine it just makes a lot of noise. We could fix this in my garage or I will drive it to u. Let me know how much would u charge to fix this.

Thank u . I will call them in the morninng.

Steven is good people and will service your car well.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Have you looked under the car? Specifically to see if the boots on the axles are intact?

If either boot is torn, that will pretty quickly identify where the noise is coming from... Replacing the axles looks like a pretty easy job.

Well looks like you live close to me, I'm live near Beach and Basswood, problem is I am at work....

How soon do you need to be up and running? I might be able to help after work.

BTW. You have an E-Mail from Me!

Hey POS - drop me a PM. I'm free this evening and I'd be happy to come by and help if needed.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Default You can do this yourself....

Drive the car for 15-20 minutes at highway speeds, then get under the rear of the car. Lay your hand on the hub assembly of the "good" side. It should be warm. Now do the "bad" side. It should be HOT! That's a bad wheel bearing. I bet that's your problem. If so, the old bearing needs to be pressed off and the new one pressed on, which requires removing the hub assembly. The hardest part is breaking loose the lock nut on the outside (torqued to 150 lb/ft). Oh yeah, rear bearing costs $90, iirc.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

it takes a press to do the wheelbearings, not exaclty a diy job, there are a few things to lookout for to not destroy the new bearings when you are putting them
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

FWIW, I replaced a wheel bearing on mine, only to find we had missed the diagnosis, and it was actually the front bearing on the differential!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I think axle is the problem. I can move the wheel very easy and the axle moves back and forth.

POS RACING Iam not in a hurry to get this fixed. I have another car to drive. If it is the wheel bearing I will pay someone to do it for me as its a bit of a pain and it take some time. ive me a call 817-555-1212 I could drive to your house and u could see what the problem is and we go from there. I live in the heather ridgeby basswood and grand central if u would like to stop by my house. artur

<moderator moment> Artur, I removed your phone number from this post. Probably not wise posting a number in such a public place. Send POS your contact info via email or PM. Thank you, please drive thru. </moderator>

Quote Originally Posted by artur1976
    I think axle is the problem. I can move the wheel very easy and the axle moves back and forth.
    The only thing that is going to allow that to happen is a failed bearing. I'd draw you a picture if I had the tools here at work

Suggection #2: Pull the wheel. Lock the parking brake. Pull the cotter key and un-dimple the dimple. Put a socket and ratchet on the big nut and see if it will turn. It shouldn't as it was torqued to 150#. If it does, get that bearing replaced.
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

I know a great HONEST mechanic in Benbrook, he has done all my work for years, very reasonable too. PM me if interested.
    Billy
    99 Miata Black

Have you isolated the problem yet?

Its the wheel bearing. Part is $40 labor about $150. Iam selling the car as is for $2600 if not sold in a few weeks then I will fix the problem and sell for more.