Thread: Spring Life

Default Spring Life

What is the life expectancy of our springs. i have a 95 R model with 220k on it. one of the rear shocks has lost a seal so i will need to spend some time back there this fall, and was wondering about replacing springs while i have the rear end apart.
    95 r white

I may be wrong but I thought I read that springs last a very long time; decades maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    I may be wrong but I thought I read that springs last a very long time; decades maybe.
    Yea I agree with Nails!

FWIW - I have some on a Cadillac that are now 43 years old and they still work.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I always thought springs lose some of their stiffness as they age. Different springs wear at different rates, but they do sag over time.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I always thought springs lose some of their stiffness as they age. Different springs wear at different rates, but they do sag over time.
    I thought that was Boobies??

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    When I was restoring my old '66 Mustang with my Dad, we replaced the front springs and shocks with new OEM ones. I was very disappointed with the results, as it raised the car up about 1.5 inches. I had no idea that 22 year old springs could/were sagging that much. I have no idea if spring construction changed any between 1966 and 1990, but I do know that my 8 year old Flyin' Miata springs have sagged with age. I think it may be reasonable to think that some early Miatas might be due for new springs.

Thanks for the input. i'd rather not change them. i wonder if the specs are published somewhere that i could compare.

Titus, on your mustang, a little thread drift. my brother is knee deep with his 66 fastback restore.. funny when he got a carb kit for it, the kid behind the counter asked what he was working on, my brother told him and that he was getting it running after a while. the kid asked how long.. my brother asked how old he was.. it last ran before the kid was born...
    95 r white

Quote Originally Posted by patf View Post
    Thanks for the input. i'd rather not change them. i wonder if the specs are published somewhere that i could compare.

Titus, on your mustang, a little thread drift. my brother is knee deep with his 66 fastback restore.. funny when he got a carb kit for it, the kid behind the counter asked what he was working on, my brother told him and that he was getting it running after a while. the kid asked how long.. my brother asked how old he was.. it last ran before the kid was born...
    Cool... I would love to see pics when it is done. I still miss my old Mustang.

Here is my '66.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Where are the blue stripes?
    M3 is always the answer.