Thread: Do you use cutting oil when using the diamond drill bit?

Default Do you use cutting oil when using the diamond drill bit?

Just like the title says! I broke off the 'bolt extractor' inside a bolt and now I have to drill the bolt extractor! Hopefully, the diamond drill bit will do the trick!
    Gabriel

From prior experience, removing an extractor is a PITA. They are usually made from high carbon heat treated steel. You might want to try a tungsten cutter bit to get it out. I have not tried a diamond bit, they are usually for highly brittle materials such as ceramics and glass.

As far as the oil, I guess it couldn't hurt.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    From prior experience, removing an extractor is a PITA. They are usually made from high carbon heat treated steel.
    +1

What did ya break Gab?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    +1

What did ya break Gab?
    The front latch of my HT is not totally 'screwed' down to the top. However, the screws are all frozen and I have no way to tighten them down. The HT is not securely bolted to the car. The screws are made out of very soft material and they were striped in a hurry. I use the left-handed drill bits and no luck. I than drill a pilot hole for the bolt extractor. I am able to get one out of three out this way. The bolt extrator broke in halves on the other two. Now, I have big headache on my hand. I guess I will try to get the diamond drill bit and try my luck. If I get those fXXking broken extractor out, do yo have any recommendation of how to get the remains of the screws out other than trying my luck again with the bolt extractor?

Do you think the bolt extractor from NAPA is better than those from HD or Lowes? Those that broke were from HD.
    Gabriel

In my experience, you've already found the only thing bolt extractors are good for - breaking off in the broken bolt.

A couple of suggestions:

• if you have access to a welder, you can try welding a nut or a piece of stock to the remaining bit of the extractor and remove it that way.
    • If not, I would suggest finding a local machine shop with an EDM (electrical discharge machine) to remove the extractor. They should be able to do it pretty easily.
    • The last suggestion would be to heat the extractor with a torch, then let it air cool (don't quench it with water or anything else). This will anneal the material, making it easier to drill out. You'll still need carbide bits, and I would suggest drilling it out in steps, starting with a very small hole and working up to larger and larger diameters. One key to this - your starter hole needs to be as close to on center as possible, since everything else builds from the starter hole. Use a grinder or something to flatten the protruding end so you have a good surface to center the starting hole.

In the future, never, ever use a bolt extractor. I've never had a good experience with them. Just drill the broken bolt out and retap the hole.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

•The last suggestion would be to heat the extractor with a torch, then let it air cool (don't quench it with water or anything else).
    Once the top stops burning the bolt will be easy to extract.
    Last edited by Radio-Active; 10-15-2010 at 08:28 AM.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I would suggest trying to tap on the extractor with a hammer and punch. Sometimes, this will be enough to break the extractor fragment loose to where you can get a pick and pick out the fragment.

Grind the surfase smooth, being carefull not to overheat the bolt in the process, before trying to drill out the extractor.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica