Thread: Ford Trucks

Default Ford Trucks

OK... I'll confess. I like Ford trucks. I've owned a few, driven a bunch more. In the past, I've liked them "because I did." Sometimes it was in the vein of the old Mazda "it just feels right" commercials - I'd drive a Brand X truck that was technically superior in all respects, but couldn't stand it because it didn't feel right.

I had an Explorer for three years. One of the most unsightly ungainly beasts ever made. But... it was flexible, and did the job I needed it to do. It carried lots of crap around for the better part of those 3 years. And it felt right.

I'm really fond of the current Expeditions. They drive better than my Explorer - and even feel more nimble.

But... I'm not a "truck person." I don't want to own a truck. As I've said, I've done it before. It's a pain in the ass since every friend you've ever had needs your truck - or more specifically needs you to help - them move something. And it's always something that you really don't want mucking up the bed of your truck. Plus, trucks are highly efficient at converting gasoline to CO2 and water...

So why this ramble?

I was pleasantly surprised this afternoon when I decided I'd had enough with the *#&$* Taurus rental I've been trying to kill for the last two weeks and stopped by Enterprise to see what they might offer to appease me. They handed me a shiny new (though smoked in with the a/c on recirc - when are they going to teach people not to do this????) F-150. It's just as competent and nimble as the Expedition. Not sure why I was surprised by this, but I was.

I'm also pleased to see that the non-towing package F-150s seem to run with the automatic in "Tow Mode" all the time - holds 1st longer even under light throttle and makes very smooth shifts both up and down. Downshifts are quick and smooth when asked for. Why can't they make their cars do this? I guess it's the old "no substitute for cubic inches" thing when it comes to a "feel good" slushbox.

I'll shut up now. Any of you guys own one of these pigs?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default Re: Ford Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    I'll shut up now. Any of you guys own one of these pigs?
    I own a '97 Flareside I bought brand new. I've never owned a vehicle as long as I've owned this one. It's been a great truck for me. No complaints!

I think the key to happy Ford truckership is those Michelin LTX M/S tires... The latter half of the Explorer's life (post recall) was much more pleasant.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

True. The Bridgestone's that came on it were off of it at 7k-8k miles IIRC.

I'm on my second Expedition, this one is 2003 Eddie Bauer with a 5.4 liter V8, it is one of the biggest POS I have ever owned. You would swear it was wired by Lucas Electric with all the electrical gremlins it keeps having after multiple trips to the dealer to get my favorite dealer response, "unable to replicate customer complaint". The thing has more squeaks and rattles than any other vehicle in my fleet. The crappie dealer service available in the Metroplex and the lack of a free loan car when it goes in for service has virtually guaranteed I will not have another ford smoldering in my driveway anything soon.

Which is sad the 2000 Expedition I had before it was semi trouble free…..

(The 2000 Expedition towing the original POS Racer)

Have you driven a Ford Lately!

YMMV

I've gotta get me another gen1 RX-7. <sigh>

Fortunately for me, I'm about half a mile from Middlekauff Ford... Probably one of the last "decent" Ford dealers in existence. I'm worried about their financial stability though... They've been "about to start construction" on their new service facility for 3 years now.

With any luck, I've got several years to decide before I buy a truck - and plans are to get an '03-'04 model when the time comes. The Nissan is still the heavy favorite, but despite all the lovely luck I've had with FoMoCo, the F-150 is back in the running. The extra space in the super crew Ford vs Nissan is substantial. And 3 year old Fords are easy to find...

It's funny how close this thread hits to home.

I'd never conisdered owning a truck either, but then my father died last year and left me his '97 F-150 Flareside. After I got over the initial difficulty of giving it a new home, I was pleasantly shocked just like tailchaser.

They ride and drive quite well, more "carlike" than you'd expect. Except for it being so long, it's really easy and comfortable to drive. And as far as utility, it's great to be able to haul stuff. Mine has a shell on the back, which is perfect for me.

Anyway, here's a couple pics in front of the old apartment:

Chuck

nope.. no Ford here.

Mine's a Chevy

~170k miles, and still starts everytime...

I dig my FedEx truck.

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

While I'll try not to start the brand war here, I have to admit my truck is pretty handy. I also have to agree with the above comment about the Michelin LTX M/S tires. Mine came with the LTX A/S and I ran them well loaded for 65K miles. Trying to be cheap I then went with a set of Coopers that delaminated after only 32K miles. I'm now back in a new set of the LTS M/S's and they are wonderfull. Got to pull several people out of the mud last weekend with them.

TC borrowed it a while back and never did find 7th or 8th gear...

Can't wait to put my kit on it...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    I also have to agree with the above comment about the Michelin LTX M/S tires.
    You are both correct about this, IMHO. I bought a set of these for my Jeep, and I have them on the F150 as well. They're quiet, durable, offer good ride quality, decent dry performance, and excellent wet performance. I've been through two sets on the Jeep. (140k+ mi.)

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    TC borrowed it a while back and never did find 7th or 8th gear...
    Which is not to say that I wasn't looking for them...

Well, if nobody else is sayin', I ain't either!

2002 F-250, diesel, crewcab - love it...plenty of power when towing. Last had Pirelli Scorpions on it and now have (oh, crap...what'd we just get???)... anyway, just having tread on them again feels good :P
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!'