Thread: Hitting Rev Limiter - Now Runs Like &#@p

Default Hitting Rev Limiter - Now Runs Like &#@p

Today on my fourth run out at TMS, I hit the rev limiter in 2nd gear going into the first turn. Immediately the motor started to miss pretty bad, like I'm running on 3 cylinders. Before my last run I checked my spark plug wires and reseated on the plugs. But it basically missed like crazy the entire last run.

Anyone hear of such a thing? Or do you think it's just coincidence and it's time to troubleshoot (ie replace plug wires, etc.)?
    1990 Miata (was Mariner Blue) - Before/After
    If you have to ask why, you won't understand the answer.

Miatas eat plug wires. Change those first. A lot of people swear by NGK Blues but I see them fail all the time too. My Magnecores have been on my Miata for 8+ years and are still going strong. They do have a lifetime warranty if needed but they are not TCB approved. Track Dog has the Magnecores for $74.95 versus about $30 for the NGK online. You get what you pay for I guess.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I was going through wires, too. I finally ponied up for the Magnacors and have not had an issue. That is probably your issue.

Yeah, makes sense. I suppose it could be the catalytic converter plugging up too.

I think it is purely coincidental. I've banged the limiter on this motor hundreds of times over its solo life and stressed my other miatas similarly in the past and have never had an issue. Of course in 15 years or so I've never had a miss either, just the crank pulley fall off....

Steve E

I blame the Decepticons
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    I blame the Decepticons
    LOL!

You also need to get Bumblebee to cut back on the smokes.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    LOL!

You also need to get Bumblebee to cut back on the smokes.
    I think maybe the decpiticons are causing my smoking issue too. After letting it sit for the weekend, it doesn't seem to be missing. Could still be the wires I suppose, I might borrow Gregs wires and see if that makes a difference. Right now with it cold it seems to be running okay, well okay minus the extra blue smoke, stupid rings!

You know I just remembered I had this exact same thing in a civic I had. I thought I ruined something with a stoplight run up to 80 or so hitting rev limiter in every gear on some backroads. Missed and backfired all the way home. The old sparkplugs must have been waiting for something to knock them out of commission. New NGKs plugs fixed it completely. This was coil-on-plug ignition so the wires were never a thought, but I had a similar situation on the miata that was either water in the plug wells or rat-chewed wires, ran the same way, like crap. New wires, and a day in the sun fixed that one.

Edit: FWIW, my 94 has seen lots of the rev limiter even at 160k+ miles, runs strong as long as the wires are good.
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 10-19-2010 at 10:11 AM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by marmed View Post
    I think maybe the decpiticons are causing my smoking issue too. After letting it sit for the weekend, it doesn't seem to be missing. Could still be the wires I suppose, I might borrow Gregs wires and see if that makes a difference. Right now with it cold it seems to be running okay, well okay minus the extra blue smoke, stupid rings!
    I drove it last night and it was missing pretty bad. Get in it and floor it. Ack ack....
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

Check the codes to see what it is throwing. Mine was doing the same thing and we drained the tank and clean it out, it help out some but ended up being the MAF going out.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)