Thread: WTB: 01-04 Sport brake system

Cool WTB: 01-04 Sport brake system

I am looking to upgrade my 99 brakes with the sport or mazdaspeed brake system.
    I would also be open to any other high performance brake kit you may have for a nb.

i would need the calipers, brackets, rotors and pads.

that's a good upgrade. Good news is you could sell your old parts for about $150-175 pretty easy as a complete kit.
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

I would like to upgrade mine also. I havent been to mazda heaven in a while, they might have some.

Have you thought about upgrading to VW Corrado rotors instead? Brake pads are a whole lot cheaper since you're reusing your old calipers. Rotors are cheaper too, from what I understand. The Miata Sport rotors and pads can get pricey.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

arent' the sport calipers better than standard 99 calipers?

i wouldn't think the only difference is in the rotor size, or am i wrong?

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Corrado rotors with good pads > sport brakes. my self and mr. brg both had a lot of problems with our sport brakes at the track.

what kind of problems?

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FI994k View Post
    what kind of problems?
    we both had problems killing pads 3 times as fast because the calipers where not retracted all the way or as much as it should. they have rubber inserts that swell from the heat and the top slider would get looked in place. i tried new ones and shaving some down but nothing worked. uneven pad ware, over heating the whole system from the dragging. my pads smoke after a session unless i took a cool down lap and drove around the parking lot for a few more mins.
    Last edited by jeff_man; 08-20-2010 at 04:13 PM.

YMMV.
    I've been running sport brakes with Hawk Blue pads for about 2 years now. Zero issues.
    Added brake ducts earlier this year to help with cooling. But I'm quite happy with the set-up.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

so i'm a little late on this topic...but i was thinking about putting 03-05 brakes (sport brakes) on my 99. curious if my 15" wheels will still fit. anyone know for sure?
    i need a better phrase...

Depends on which 15" wheels you have. The stock 99 wheels will clear the sport brakes, as will some Rotas. Several aftermarket wheels will NOT clear the sport brakes.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

I just upgraded to the dba d/s rotors and hawk pads front and back. So my stock MSM rotors have 90k on them and could use a good home. Very slight warp, never turned, so that will need to be done. How about 10.00 each o.b.o. This will leave the brackets and calipers left to get.

Quote Originally Posted by FI994k View Post
    I am looking to upgrade my 99 brakes with the sport or mazdaspeed brake system.
    I would also be open to any other high performance brake kit you may have for a nb.
    I have a FM Big Brake kit for sale. It's one of their earlier kits, but same concept as the one on the FM site for the 1994-02 w/o sport package. The right front caliper has some missing paint about as big is a thumb print.

It is only the calipers (with mounting hardware) and the rotors, front stainless brake lines, and TWO sets of front pads with about 50% life. You supply the brake fluid.

$800 for Calipers, brackets, rotors and pads.

Thanks for the interest all. I have my calipers, brackets and rotors. All i need now are pads and stainless/braided lines.