Thread: Transmission problem ... when in gear, slowling releasing clutch - buzzing sound

Default Transmission problem ... when in gear, slowling releasing clutch - buzzing sound

It only happens when I'm in gear. Push in the clutch pedal, move gear selector into whatever gear, then slowly release the clutch pedal. At a certain point, I get this nasty sounding buzzing. However, there is no problem when fully depressed or fully engaged while in gear. Is this a pilot bearing or throwout bearing issue? Will it be ok to drive like this for a little bit? I was gonna replace the clutch over Thanksgiving weekend when I'm in Houston.
    - luis
    '99 NB1

Sounds like the throwout bearing, you'll "probably" be ok for a while.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

+1...but don't be a lazy bastard like me.

I've had a gravel-ey sound that goes away when I press the clutch in, from what i've heard is either throwout bearing or pilot bearing noise. At one time I had the clutch seize up twice in one day preventing the clutch from disengaging and letting me into any gear. Some here theorized it was another symptoms of one of the bearings going out. This was a few months ago. I bought a clutch kit and freaked out about it at the time, but i've been driving it every day since, waiting on a free weekend to do a clutch job.

I know though that it "probably" won't break down on the way home...at least I hope it wont. I've been lucky this far. The advise given me is you'll probably be ok, just don't take any roadtrips.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Chassis Designer

I'm kind of thinking it's the pilot bearing. It seems that the throw out bearing would make the most noise when the clutch pedal is fully depressed. Anything is possible, so I'm not betting the barn on this, but I'd guess pilot bearing. I would guess you could make it to Houston without anything other than a noise issue as a total failure would take quite awhile. Just my two cents worth.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Since you're replacing the clutch, you'll be replacing the pilot and throw-out, right? Don't forget the hi-temp grease!

FM and others have a 'kit' or happy meal that includes the pilot, throw-out bearings and seals.
    95 r white

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Since you're replacing the clutch, you'll be replacing the pilot and throw-out, right? Don't forget the hi-temp grease!
    of course
    - luis
    '99 NB1