Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: 6 speed transmission

Default WTB: 6 speed transmission

Yeah, don't we all. Any way, just putting it out there just in case somebody knows where I can find one. Thanks.

What's the motivation behind this? Just currious. I thought I read that: 1) the ratios don't benefit fuel mileage, 2) on the track/auto-x you just end up shifting more -> slower, 3) the 5 speeds are stronger. Is any of that correct?
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

You get a rear that works better with the 6-speed. If I could get a 6-speed and a 3.6 rear, I'd be a happy camper.

I have never heard anyone say the 5-speeds are stronger. For awhile it was the 6-speeds "might" be stronger. Last I heard, the 6s were "proven" to be stronger.
    Last edited by Rob®; 11-19-2010 at 03:44 PM.

First motivation is that I cratered my transmission at ECR yesterday. Second motivation is from all that I have researched (mainly miataturbo.net), my understanding is that the 6 speed is stronger than the 5. I could be wrong here. Anyone that has experience on this subject please chime in and help me in the right decision. When I texted Wags yesterday he said 6 spd and 3.63 ring and pinion. I'm not looking for mileage as it's 95% track only car. The other 5% is driving to and from the track.

Can anyone comment on 5 vs 6 speed for track work? Think the 5 speed suits me well at the track. And, for a turbo car wouldn't you want to have fewer tall gears instead of more short gears to just stay in boost instead of swapping gears? <- Just my *thought*...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

What rear ratio are you asking about, Moonie? They all make a difference.

I am fairly sure that mr brg has a 6-speed and the 3.63 rear (going by what a mutual acquittance says), so he can chime in with his thoughts. From math alone, that is the ratio I would love to get my hands on.

I didn't key in on the rear end. Do you have to swap the rear end to fit the 6 speed or is it just a good idea to get a taller rear end?
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

It's a great idea to get a more suitable ratio for the 6-speed.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    I didn't key in on the rear end. Do you have to swap the rear end to fit the 6 speed or is it just a good idea to get a taller rear end?
    You don't HAVE to swap the rear end, but I believe it makes the gear ratios in the 6 speed a lot more useablerer.

I picked up a 6sp last week (thanks miataturbo.net). My 5sp is going. On the track it balks on certian 2-3 and 4-3 shifts, which is apparently typical on FI power. I had a line on a 3.63 rear, but it fell through.

My 5sp with 4.10 was fine on track, but obv. weak. Most all regularly tracked FI cars are using the stronger 6sp. I'm not too worried about the shifting, cause there were already some tracks that had me shifting at apex anyways. Just learn it over. As far as ax, I figure I'll just launch in 2nd.

This is helpful: http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/gearing.php

If I see any 6sp around, I'll let ya know.

Thanks. And looks like we'll both be after the coveted 3.63s. If I see an extra set, after I snag one of course, I'll let you know :)

Did you try:
    Partgroup, Planet Miata or FM Salvage? They all list them. The mazdaspeed is the prize. FM's price is not "too" bad, but then there's shipping..

The 3.63 is a unicorn. I'm thing of ordering r&p and trying to find a expert/competent shop to install them. Perhaps we can get a group discount?

Corksport has the 3.63 gears available for $408

Linkie:
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Also, the sales brochure said that Mazdaspeed 6-speed transmisions had the gears shot peened for added strength.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Great info. Thanks. I may jump on that MS 6 speed. Appreciate the help.

Suspension Modder

I have a 6speed in stock, give me a call to discuss pricing.
    Thanks,
    Mario
    Mazda-Nissan Heaven-Offering Mazda,Nissan,Infinit,Kia, and Hyundai parts.
    6711 Oakcrest Dr. E.
    Fort Worth, TX 76140
    (817)563-2277
    [email protected] or [email protected]

Hey Six Ace,

Find a competant 4x4 shop near you. They swap out gears all the time and know how to set up preload and backlash correctly. If you pull the diff and bring it in they may cut you a break on installation charges. It can never hurt to ask.

I don't know about Gainsville but I can point you to several places in the Dallas/Lewisville/Plano/rockwall area.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    Hey Six Ace,

Find a competant 4x4 shop near you. They swap out gears all the time and know how to set up preload and backlash correctly. If you pull the diff and bring it in they may cut you a break on installation charges. It can never hurt to ask.

I don't know about Gainsville but I can point you to several places in the Dallas/Lewisville/Plano/rockwall area.
    Yes please! Please post or PM me a competent shop or two and I'll ring them up. Just ordered the gears from Corksport (good price). Should be a good off season upgrade. Thanks for the help everyone. Sorry fo the thread hijack/derail

I'm getting great info. No hijack as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    Find a competant 4x4 shop near you. They swap out gears all the time and know how to set up preload and backlash correctly.
    Although I agree with this, be very careful about your shop selection. A bunch of local Z guys have had issues with local shops setting their aftermarket rears correctly. Some took them to quality offroad places (one guy has an LT1 Wrangler that he built himself) and they all still screamed after break-in. Import rears are quite different than off road rears apparently. I would hope a quality shop would have experience with import rears, not just tell you "we do gear swaps all the time, no problem" and hope they can get it right the first time.

I've personally only swapped gears on an '00 Mustang GT - import rears I have no desire to touch, and I know a few 4x4 shops out east feel the same way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast