Thread: New Civic Si -- WOW!

Default New Civic Si -- WOW!

Linkie.

Wow. 200hp. 6-speed. Brembo brakes. LSD. No word on curb weight. Great looking car. It's no Miata, but for the target market, this thing looks like a bullseye. I like it a lot. Assuming the handling is up to snuff, I'd take it over an SRT-4, Cobalt SS, or RSX (which is thus rendered useless).

The only interesting competition from a desireability standpoint is the new GTI (mmmm.. Tartan plaid seats ) and the Cooper S JCW with the new LSD.

As a proud owner of a 92 Civic Si in college, it's nice to see Honda returning some respectability to the badge.

S.

Looks like a Scion aBcLmNoP to me. Booooring with a dash of ricer.

Given the current availability (or lack thereof) of the Civic Type R and Integra (RSX) Type R in this country, I doubt we'll ever see it anyway.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Actually, I meant I'd take it if they lose that stupid black hood, spoiler, and urine yellow fog lights.

It's US bound, my friend. It was introduced at the Chicago auto show, and all the BB chatter indicates that it will get all the hardware except maybe the rear Brembos.

S.

BTW, whoever wrote that article ought to go back to Super Street where they belong. What a pathetic piece of tabloid pap.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

One more comment on the Brembo brakes and 18" wheels - if those are for real instead of just for show, I find that hugely disappointing.

Here's why - Honda has always prided themselves on their engineering capability, and one of the characteristics of Honda's sporting cars has always been their phenomenal, fade-free braking systems, without the need to resort to huge, multi-pistoned aftermarket calipers and the huge wheels required to clear them, all of which add unneccessary unsprung weight. Take the original S2000 for example - 16" wheels and single-piston brakes. The NSX - 15"/16" wheels originally (uprated to 16"/17" in '94), with single-piston brakes. The seminal Integra Type R - 15" wheels with single-piston brakes.

All of these cars have incredibly precise, fade free, track-ready braking systems and as little unsprung weight as necessary to get the job done from a pure engineering standpoint.

Putting 18" boat anchors and multi-pistoned Brembos on a Civic merely tells me that engineering is no longer as important to Honda as marketing is. Either that, or it's going to weigh 3400 pounds like the Acura RL that carries Brembo brakes. Either way I find it sad, really.
    Iain

What's wrong with Super Street???

Autoweek can have some stinkers from time to time. Like MT, they sometimes seem to just reprint the company's press release. They're nevertheless a good source for breaking news (at least, their website is).

I wouldn't be so hasty to discount this new Si. Honda can make great cars when it puts its mind to it. It has certainly made some awesome FWD cars in the past. CRX Si, Prelude SH, ITR... That's a better FWD track record than most manufacturers.

S.

I think it's clean and has nice lines. I like many of the specs -- 200hp, LSD, Brembo brakes. They have to lose the 18" wheels, and we'll have to see how other things flesh out: curb weight, torque, redline, lateral acceleration, interior layout and fit-n-finish, price. "Ricey"? Yeah, OK... it is a little ricey. But just about any Hot Hatch that is produced these days has elements -- in varying degrees -- of Tuner bling.

I'm not sure it's any better than other offerings out there, but if they hit a good price point, they may have a winner.

YMMV
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

My MSM is ricey. Red seat and door inserts, bling bling rollbar, 17" RH wheels. OMG! I am part of The Problem!

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    OMG! I am part of The Problem!

S.
    That's never really been in doubt...
    Iain

"I am part of The Problem!
    Whatever...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

My MSM is ricey. Red seat and door inserts, bling bling rollbar, 17" RH wheels. OMG! I am part of The Problem!

S.
    You are correct, just give me the car that will help!