Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off-set Front License Plate

Default Off-set Front License Plate

Anyone know where to find one of these beauties?? Or are can they be fabricated in the garage?? Thanks!

I'm tired warnings/tickets... argh!

I got mine from R-speed. Ill post some pictures tomorrow if you want. It took a little work to make it fit perfect. You need the drivers side baby tooth. I had to cut maybe 1/2 an inch off the end so that it wasn;t longer than the plate, and also had to drill a new hole to match the plates. It is very sturdy, and I dont mind the look.

Ok... so the over on the board, it's been pointed out that flip away plates in Texas are a No no...

It can't possibly be that difficult to fab something up, no? ccage project??

Why not just bolt it to the hood of the BUR?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Treibenschnell they can be made in the garage. We made one for my brother's car and it's been on there for about six months with no problems. Let me check to see if we still have material in the shop to do another and I'll try to whip one up. Thought about making them at one time to sell, but never followed through on it. I will check tomorrow.
    '91 Silverstone Greddy,Centerforce,Link,Tokico,GC,Momo,Signal,

Stiffy Chassis Systems " My Miata is sporting a Stiffy"

Thanks trackfiend... I appreciate the effort!

Being that I think I'm the only butt ugly, Mariner blue, roll bar wearing, Miata sans top tooling down the North Texas Tollway, always at the same time of day and night, DPS has me pegged....

make a plate out of vynil and stick it on the nose, like they do in england.
    or run no plate like me. never had a plate, never had a problem.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

If trackfiend can't hook you up, I'm sure we can make something work. How bad can it be?

Am I understanding correctly that this is a bracket that bolts into the tie down spot on one side?

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by fwMiata
    make a plate out of vynil and stick it on the nose, like they do in england.
    or run no plate like me. never had a plate, never had a problem.
    I've never had an issue... until recently.

Like I said, I'm the only Miata of it's kind running up and down the tollway... and I've been ticketed twice in as many years for speeding... by the same trooper... first time he mentioned I didn't have a plate... the second time he gave me a ticket. Obviously, I've been imprinted in his memory. I'm not looking to push my luck a third time...

The easy answer is, don't speed, don't attact attention... well, by replacing my front plate I'm hoping to lessen the attention... as for the speeding, well, that's tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by trackfiend
    Treibenschnell they can be made in the garage. We made one for my brother's car and it's been on there for about six months with no problems. Let me check to see if we still have material in the shop to do another and I'll try to whip one up. Thought about making them at one time to sell, but never followed through on it. I will check tomorrow.
    I need one whipped up! There's a turn signal lens in it for you I've been pulled over three times in 5 years for it. I had mine mounted in the mouth, but it restricts airflow in the summer and i have to take it off. Now that I have the intercooler, I want an off-set one too. Trackdog is fabricating one that doubles as a tow hook for the track. Not sure when though.

There's no way, I'm putting that baby tooth on again. With ABS the drivers side took me like 45 minutes to get off. Extensions and swivels were flying everywhere that day!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I finally installed mine on the MSM, mainly because a friend of mine in the neighborhood had gotten a ticket recently. I have had police look at me, and one even pointed to the front and wagged his finger. I hate it, but put it on anyway. I wrote a letter to State Legislature a few years ago asking to have the law changed, since it would save the state money, and many states have abandoned the practice already...I got the usual "thanks for the inquiry" response, but that was it...Nothing looks worse on the front of a sports car than the "wart" the state makes us wear...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

I've been driving around with no front plate on my "fun" cars for almost ten years now. I did get a no front plate ticket once... but since the initial stop was for 104 in a 60, I believe the officer was looking for whatever additional citations he could write me.

In retrospect, I can't say that I really blame him.

The irony? Iwas able to take defensive driving to have the ticket dismissed. I went to a comedy defensive driving school, where they asked everyone in the room what ticket they were there for. 95% were for speeding, and we all had to state how far over the limit we were. Mine wasn't the highest in the room - I think I was third.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Hey ccage or trackfiend,

I you guys want to make some up, I'd be happy to pay for one!

I run with no plate and have been pulled over outside of Bonham by a DPS officer for it. It was a slow cop day.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Hey ccage or trackfiend,

I you guys want to make some up, I'd be happy to pay for one!

I run with no plate and have been pulled over outside of Bonham by a DPS officer for it. It was a slow cop day.

RJ
    Funny... I was pulled over in Fort Worth for a headlight out, but he never said a word about the missing front plate.

I currently have a swinging front plate but mine is mounted on the top of the mouth with basic home despot hinges. CB solution!

I did this after getting a fixit ticket from a bored cop in Melissa, TX. He was just looking for anything to pull me over since I wasn't speeding or anything.

No tickets and only one warning from a DPS officer on a road trip down to the hill country. It did freak him out when he saw I, in fact, had a front plate miraculously appear. Then he realized it was hinged.

Still he was cool about it and just told me to "get it fixed".

If TDR comes out with their tow-hook/side mount plate holder, I'll probably switch to that.

If I have to wear a plate, I'd rather it be side mounted.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I always heard the story told:

"Did you install that rollbar yourself?"

"Why yes, yes I did!"

"Well... I'd think you could build a license plate bracket then..."

Tell you what - if you guys come up with one that works without removing the baby teeth (us SCCA participants can't technically remove them), then I might be interested in one.
    Iain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast