Thread: Windows 7 upgrade 32 bit vs. 64 Bit ???

Default Windows 7 upgrade 32 bit vs. 64 Bit ???

So we have a computer that is running Vista 32 bit here at the world headquarters. We want to upgrade it to Windows 7.

Upgrade Advisior says a 32 bit upgrade is no problem. But a 64 bit upgrade takes a bit more effort. (Effort that I am not willing to spend BTW.)

So what if any downside is there to Windows 7 32 bit?? It moves less bits I get that but it is not like we are launching missiles out of this place.

TIA

What is your hardware? Will it even take advantage of a 64bit OS? What applications do you run, are they multi CPU/core aware?
    M3 is always the answer.

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Eventually there will be no 32 bit apps. But I am willing to bet that most of the apps you use are 32 bit currently and upgrading to 64 bit windows 7 will not gain you any advantage over 32 bit.

This computer is an HP Pavilion a6009n - Specs -> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00900941

As far a software goes it's pretty generic stuff basically the 2 main ones are :
    • Microsoft Office Small Business 2007
    • Quickbooks 2007 Pro

Both of which we plan to upgrade sometime this year.

I just went through the 64bit vs 32 bit debate while laptop shopping. I was cautioned against 64bit from a buddy that has 64bit Windows 7 on his work laptop, he said it created two file systems or something like that, one for 32 bit apps and one for 64 bit apps, he was constantly having to switch between the two, it was confusing as hell and an overall PITA to use. I know this is subjective 3rd (maybe 4th) party info and I haven't used it personally so YMMV, but that's what I heard. Maybe someone on here can clarify or debunk this?? This guy is fairly technically savy so I trusted him.

The killer for me is I found out our work network does not support 64bit machines on their network (VPN or direct), firewall issues I believe. Since i'll be doing a lot of VPN work from home, that's was the deal breaker.

Again YMMV. If you can take advantage of the 64 bit then I see an advantage, but if not, might not be worth the hassle since most applications still run on or are compatible with 32 bit systems(for now anyway).

Edit: Scratch that 2nd to last paragraph. The network guys dropped off a new development PC for me yesterday, just logged in and it's 64bit wondows 7. Must just be firewall issues, they can't support 64bit through VPN, or the network guys were making that up...

Anyway i'll report back if I have any PITA setting it up or working with it.
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 01-19-2011 at 01:15 PM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

At one point weren't there problems with some device driver's not being available for WIN7? Don't know what kind of equipment is at WH, but you may check them out before proceeding.

Jiggerachi: Depends on your firewall. Cisco IPSEC clinet has no 64 bit support and will NOT run on Windows 7 64 bit. The Cisco Anyconnect SSL client does have 64 bit support and is Cisco's 64 bit client of choice moving forward. This is a licensing issue on Cisco ASA and PIX firewalls. Cisco gives IPSEC away for free but you pay for SSL. Other firewall products may have simular issues.

Windows 7 does not require different file sytems for 32 vs 64 bit apps on the 64 bit version. I run Windows 7 64 bit and have no problems running my 32 bit apps on the same file system as my 64 bit. He may have a specific piece of software that will not work in a 64bit environment. That is an entirely diffferent matter then the OS not supporting it.

POS: check the requirements on the new software version. If the upgrades require a 64bit OS then now is the time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    At one point weren't there problems with some device driver's not being available for WIN7? Don't know what kind of equipment is at WH, but you may check them out before proceeding.
    I ran the Windows Upgrade Advisor on the computer in question this morning. It says I'm good to go with a 32 bit upgrade but more work would be required for the 64 bit.

Driver

Do you have 4gb or more of memory?

Office 2007 and 2010 64bit has issues with some Sharepoint stuff. However running 32 bit versions in 64 bit OS is fine.

Are you using an old, esoteric piece of hardware (scanner, USB to serial dongle, etc.)? That likely won't have 64bit drivers.

*personally* all my PCs have at least 8gb of ram (and my for work laptop is 16) so I run 64bit OSes on all of them. For the vast majority of people with 2-4gb of ram it won't make a difference.

Now, aside from all that, an upgrade install of any OS on top of another is going to run like poop compared to a fresh install.

Oh, and QB2007 is no longer supported by Intuit. My 2008 is about to lose support too, bastards.

Yep 8GB of Ram in that computer.

It passed all the device driver stuff including printers when I ran Upgrade Advisor on the computer this morning it alerted me to the 32 / 64 stuff.

I got an upgrade CD at Costo so a fresh install isn't going to happen.

No shit on the Quickbook's support we just let it lapse the shit works great and we only tend to upgrade when problems arise.

Driver

8gb ram? You have to have 64bit or you're only going to "see" 3.5gb (more or less).

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    8gb ram? You have to have 64bit or you're only going to "see" 3.5gb (more or less).
    Yup. You are not even using half the memory in your system with the 32bit OS.

Will the OS only see 3.5GB but the pagefile use the remaining ram?
    M3 is always the answer.

Driver

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    Will the OS only see 3.5GB but the pagefile use the remaining ram?
    It's doable if you get RAM drive software, setup a RAM drive and point the PF to it. But to answer your question, no not supported out of the box.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

I went ahead and did the 64 Bit Upgrade all is well except for Quickbooks being all moody about storing the data file on our NAS.

But it was working prior to the upgrade so I just need to figure out what I did last time.

I appreciate the help!