Thread: TPMS Rebuild Kit

Default TPMS Rebuild Kit

Anyone know what a "TPMS Rebuild Kit" is? I was tire shopping w Discount Tire. I was asked to pay $3 for each tire ($12 total) that I had no idea what I would be buying!
    Gabriel

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Something to do with Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems. It wasn't for the Miata, was it?

Driver

There are orings around the valve stems (the TPMS is built onto the valve stem). In non TPMS cars with rubber valve stems you typically replace them because the tire monkey breaks them off (easier than trying to remove/replace).

I've never had any of my TPMS rebuilt, even when swapping TPMS from one set of wheels to another.

This is for my 07 CRV. I guess I really do not need these?! Another porfit center for the tire store, I guess!
    Gabriel

If your CRV is anything like my Pathfinder, you'll have a warning light on your dash that will come on when your tire pressure gets low. Get rid of the monitors and I it'll probably stay on.
    If you're addicted to cold turkey how do you stop?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

I believe his TPMS warning light was on when I rode with him on Saturday. That is probably why they wanted to rebuild them.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

I got the same thing and declined. Can't see a rebuild needed after 13 months.
    M3 is always the answer.

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    I believe his TPMS warning light was on when I rode with him on Saturday. That is probably why they wanted to rebuild them.
    Rebuild kit doesn't fix this. Either the TPMS is seeing bad pressures, it can't see the TPMS because it's broken or the TPMS is not programmed to the car.

If you rode with him at an event and he wasn't on his street wheels, then the TPMS will be on (of course).

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    Rebuild kit doesn't fix this. Either the TPMS is seeing bad pressures, it can't see the TPMS because it's broken or the TPMS is not programmed to the car.

If you rode with him at an event and he wasn't on his street wheels, then the TPMS will be on (of course).
    gabkwong is talking about his wife's 2007 Honda CRV. The only event it has seen is a church social. The wheels on his CRV are OEM that he bought after the initial purchase of the vehicle so I guess the TPMS just needs to be programmed.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Here is a picture of a TPMS rebuild kit

All shops corporate run auto shops started charging for them around 2008 when they realized they could profit from them. I work for sears auto and we are supposed to sell them with every TPMS equipped car it basically boils to an extra $44 on the bill. If the customer declines we tell them we are not responsible for any tire leaks even if you purchase road hazard insurance.

What a bunch of bunk! I think I would tell Sears I would have to take my business elsewhere.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I'm a fan of the "TPMS in a PVC pipe" mod, rather than let the government dictate the way my car drives in regards to tire pressure.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Driver

The TPMS has come in very handy for me... it's a pain, but I've actually been alerted, in two different cars, to flats. One car was a slow leak from a screw (on two different occasions, one was in OKC, right after leaving an autox, so a crisis averted with my family) and the other was a sliced sidewall from a bone in my alley (trash day).