Thread: OK to use an SA helmet on a motorcycle?

Default OK to use an SA helmet on a motorcycle?

I've been thinking about buying a motorcycle. I'm an engineer, so I love spreadsheets. One of my spreadsheets adds up the cost of gear I'd have to buy if I bought a motorcycle.

I'm not sure if I should add the cost of a helmet to this spreadsheet. I already have two very nice SA helmets - an SA00 Simpson Super Bandit and an SA05 HJC Si-12. Could I use these helmets on a motorcycle legally - and more importantly - safely?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Legally - I don't think there is a helmet law in Texas, is there? So no worries there.

Safely - Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the major/only difference between SA and M helmets is that the SAs need to have a certain lining material that is fire resistant? I remember something about multiple impacts when I was looking at helmets for my snowmobiles too, but don't remember seeing any concrete proof of that.

That said, I always had M-rated helmets for my bike (and snowmobiles), but I'd MUCH sooner wear a current SA helmet than none at all.

Here you go......Not sure of the Snell rating though.

J/K I can't believe people don't wear a helmet.

From the Snell web site.

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
    The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:
    The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
    The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
    The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not

So it sounds like as long as the viewport isn't reduced from the similar M-rated version, an SA helmet is just fine for motorcycle use. Thanks guys!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

You wouldn't really want to use a helmet with a narrow field of vision on a bike anyway. You'd put it on and feel rather unsafe the first time you passed car.

So when are we going shopping?
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Lol... still gotta get final clearance from SWMBO. But if you see a nice Monster S2R 800 or 695/696 in the $5k range, let me know.
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Lol... still gotta get final clearance from SWMBO. But if you see a nice Monster S2R 800 or 695/696 in the $5k range, let me know.
    Hmmm... http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/2113102640.html
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

The helmet must meet DOT standard to be used on the street, not Snell rating. Even though the Snell rating is far superior in safety, there are laws against using a NON-DOT approved helmet on the street.

As usual, I have nothing of value to add to the thread, but reminds me of a time I was in the good-will shop looking for good donor clothes for a costume party.

I saw a beat up Arai helmet so I decided to check it out. It was obviously a hardcore track racer as it had a ducktape sunshield across 60% of the visor and the guy had his blood type, medication allergies, and all of his organ donor information in labels stuck all across the back of the helmet.

Thought it was funny.
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 01-21-2011 at 11:41 PM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Driver

Iain, while I love bikes (rode all through high school), riding one in Dallas just seems... irresponsible. Especially in traffic.

I have a Snell and DOT rated HJC that I only used once for the ECR toy run event. If you're interested let me know and I'll sell it to you.

EDIT: It's an M helmet, if I didn't already mention it.
    Last edited by Matt V; 01-21-2011 at 06:42 PM.

have you gotten an insurance quote on one of those yet?
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I have ridden 45 of my 58 years, done many track days and raced for two years.............riding in the big city sucks....
    But if you have the time to do some track days or take some trips to Arkansas or the Texas Hill Country (or further) two wheeling is hard to beat......Also used gear brings about .20 on the dollar..........

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    have you gotten an insurance quote on one of those yet?
    Stop raining on my parade, Lauren.
    Iain

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by VFR750 View Post
    riding in the big city sucks....
    But if you have the time to do some track days or take some trips to Arkansas or the Texas Hill Country (or further) two wheeling is hard to beat......
    Iain this is what I was getting at.

I grew up on two wheels in this madness (Caracas, Venezuela):

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Stop raining on my parade, Lauren.
    Just keep in mind that insurance rates on bikes vary wildly... Full coverage on my VFR is a touch under $200 a year... My neighbor's Ducati is a touch under $200 a MONTH.