Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage Sale This Weekend -- Any Tips?

Default Garage Sale This Weekend -- Any Tips?

We're having a medium-sized garage sale this weekend. Can anyone offer any tips on how the ensure that things run smoothly? It's our first. I do know that Dallas does NOT require a permit. I may need to rent some tables, since we only have two that are useable for this sort of thing. Turns out table rentals are cheap from party stores.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

S.

I believe that Dallas does require a permit to put out signs. My neighborhood has a code Nazi that reports people for this. I know they made a point of mentioning that they had gotten a permit for signs for our community yard sale.

Hurm. A call to the city's 311 number indicated that no permit was necessary for the sale. Also, the ordinance states that signs can be placed on the property hosting the sale. Are you talking about off-property signs? I don't think we'll need any, since we live on a busy street (there has to be some advantage to all that road noise!).

S.

Personal peeve of mine...

Don't let people in before your advertised start time... There will always be that person who thinks they deserve to get in before everyone else.

Also, make sure you have plenty of help to keep an eye on the merchandise... stuff tends to walk off at these things.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Watch like a hawk...

In our neck of the woods there is a crowd of people that will arrive in 2 vehicles... about 6 to 7 people... they swarm and they walk off with your prized possessions without paying. It's a classic thing of keeping you so busy that you can't watch 'em all.

We've caught 'em at it and made 'em give stuff back in the past.

RJ

Changed it to encompass thieves of all races...

Not good. My inlaws are in town. So we'll have them, plus me and my wife, plus my mom, plus a friend. That makes 6, so security should be decent. Your comments do raise a good point, however. Maybe we need to keep things fairly centralized so that we can keep an eye on them. How much "change" should we get beforehand? Would $120 in small bills (10/5/1) and quarters do the trick?

S.

That is way overkill... If you get that change KEEP IT IN THE HOUSE.

Keep as little outside as possible just to be safe.

RJ

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    they swarm and they walk off with your prized possessions without paying.
    Lord knows I wouldn't want someone walking away with my Legends of Nascar commemorative plate series!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Just get ready to enjoy some bartering,
    Yes, my father in law is very good at that sort of thing. My wife is sweet and beautiful and hard to argue with. I will likely have them working the check-out table so that they can do the bartering.

Me? I'm mean and ugly. I'll likely work security detail and back-office administration.

S.

Your so paranoid channelmaniac we have had several garage sales and have never had an issues.

Just get ready to enjoy some bartering, very few will pay your asking price. I normally mark my stuff up slightly to help them feel they got a better deal.

BTW. Ft. Worth requires a permit to have a garage sale!

I spent 8 years in retail... seen the scams before... stopped 'em before...

It is just maddening to see it at a freakin' yard sale! I mean why would people want to steal a $1 item?

He asked what to look for so I just told him. We've had 3 yard sales here and all three times we ran into the same situation. We also kept most of the money inside the house. A small box with some small bills and coins it in are all you need outside.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    I spent 8 years in retail... seen the scams before... stopped 'em before...

It is just maddening to see it at a freakin' yard sale! I mean why would people want to steal a $1 item?

He asked what to look for so I just told him. We've had 3 yard sales here and all three times we ran into the same situation. We also kept most of the money inside the house. A small box with some small bills and coins it in are all you need outside.

RJ
    You may want to move out of Lewisville that may help!

Doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Your so paranoid channelmaniac we have had several garage sales and have never had an issues.
    I've had one garage sale in my entire life. During the course of that day, I caught people on three separate occasions trying to steal stuff. None of the items in question were marked more than a couple of dollars.

How freakin' sleazy do you have to be to steal stuff from a garage sale?

I personally find garage sales to be a royal pain in the ass. These days I just take all the stuff I no longer want to Goodwill, get a receipt for it, and write off the same amount on my taxes that I would have gotten from spending all day dealing with the scum of the earth in my driveway.

BTW, POS - that particular garage sale was held at my in-laws old house... about 2 miles down the road from where you live.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Hurm. A call to the city's 311 number indicated that no permit was necessary for the sale. Also, the ordinance states that signs can be placed on the property hosting the sale. Are you talking about off-property signs? I don't think we'll need any, since we live on a busy street (there has to be some advantage to all that road noise!).

S.
    Yes, I was speaking of off property signs. It is a little strange to me. I am used to California, where you can expect to see several signs taped to the telephone poles at every intersection. It is not unusual for someone there to put out 6-8 signs for a sale.

just dont put your address on the signs, that way they cant track it to you.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Had a garage sale last fall.

Some good tips for a garage sale.

Make it easy for people to browse your stuff. Have aisles, tables. Very few people will dig for stuff.
    Place more valuable items away from the street.
    Place large items that can't easily walk away at street.
    Hang the clothing on a clothesline or broom between two ladders
    Be willing to bargain. Anything you don't sell you have to haul off but tell people to piss off at unrealisticly absurd offers if you think you can get more for it.
    Price everything.
    Have sacks for people with multiple purchases.
    $50 in change should do.
    Keep the money guarded in house! Keep small bank on ya.
    No public restrooms available. People do ask!
    Cover "not for sale" items with sheets
    People do steal. Pathetic.
    Plan for any weather.
    A few signs with large print and arrows on major roads are a good ideas.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

We always make a sign that read "garage sale --->" No address, that way no one shows up early. Get everything ready before you put out signs. I put out about 6 signs with arrows only. That way when you are done just pick up tables ect and remove signs. ONce I put the address and a lady shows up at 8pm asking to see stuff that I had out earlyier (sp) in the day.

I playe police and wife took money. I found that by standing at the street and "greeting" people as they arrive seemd to lessen the chance of theft. But I have found that kids in the 6-8 year olds are the worst in steeling. When cought I make a production of it and will not sell to them or others in their party. Its sad but true.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Quote Originally Posted by fwMiata
    just dont put your address on the signs, that way they cant track it to you.
    And your "customers" can't find you. Goooood thinkin'...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Fanny pack with the money strapped to my fanny was the best solution I found for protecting the $$$

Please do not staple or nail signs to the utility poles. Tape is good.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast