Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: cheap lightweight 1.6 flywheel

Default WTB: cheap lightweight 1.6 flywheel

Anyone got one laying around? Doesn't have to be super light, just a little lighter than stock, i'm already going to run a 1.6 clutch on a 94 so I just want a little more.

Looking to spend under $100, hopefully.

Let me know what you have.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I have a stock 1.6l flywheel that would love to be lightened by a machine shop.

And was just going to PM about the cooling system stuff - got tied up, this coming weekend OK (1/29) to drop it off? Sorry about that...apparently curtains are more important.

EDIT: Just saw the other thread you brought back up. Guess you don't want that option, so never mind. LOL
    Last edited by Rob®; 01-24-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Well, i'm not sure actually... I have a stocker 1.6 flywheel, and a friend & I are going to drive around to a couple shops tomorrow to actually show them what i'm talking about. I'm weighing my options now, only thing i'm relatively sure of is I don't want to spend more than $100 on this either way.

Edit: sure this weekend works for me. Just let me know when you're in my side of teh woods.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XTD-P...Q5fAccessories

about $200...$100 more gets the flywheel and clutch I have. this is as cheap as it gets.
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

I saw that, damn good deal. Unfortunately, $200 is about $100 more than I want to spend now. I could wait, but I need to get my clutch soon. I know it's a long shot, but i'm mainly fishing for a used one. If I can't fine one i'll just use this stocker 1.6. It's a little better than my 1.8 flywheel at least.

Guy I know in PA is selling this:

"Fidanza flywheel- 30-40k miles. I rev match every shift and am VERY easy on clutches so there should be plenty of friction material left. OE spec, made in Japan clutch is included. This flywheel improved acceleration more than my full RB exhaust, highly recommended upgrade. $200"

He said he is taking offers, so you should be able to get him down some. Or at least free shipping. I can get pics of it all if you'd like. And no, it's not the same guy as the cup holder. I bought a part I needed from this kid yesterday - took all of an hour after he sent me a PayPal invoice till when he sent me tracking.

Is this for a 1.6 or 1.8? I already have a 1.6 clutch kit sitting in the box, not sure if I'd want to go with a used clutch. Would he just sell the flywheel you think?

You asked for 1.6l parts I wouldn't recommend a used clutch either, but figured if you didn't have one already it'd be TCB for the clutch and flywheel with not very many miles on it. I can ask about just the flywheel, but I bet he'll only knock off a few bucks. So you'd pay nearly as much for just the flywheel. I will ask though, you never know.

^That would be great, let me know what he says.

If you can't get the fidanza for cheap just be patient and save some $$$. Don't waste $100 lightening a stock one.
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

That's kinda what I'm thinking. I just hope my throwout bearing is patient as well, heh. I have the cash just don't want to dip into savings. If I can get the stock one machined for less than $50 or so maybe. If not ill spend the $200, not like ill get another chance.

My luck the timing belt will blow directly after and my wife will say I told you so :)

While I'm at it y'all see any potential running a smaller 1.6 clutch with a 10lb or so flywheel on a 1.8? Don't want to go too extreme although I'm sure ill love the more fastAr.

Guy said he can do $200 shipped for just the flywheel.

You'll notice a difference going to lighter weight rotating parts. I know when I put the lighter 1.8l flywheel on my 1.6l while it was still NA, I noticed a rather large difference. I even noticed it after I added boost. But, I've heard from a lot of lightly boosted 1.8l owners that a lighter flywheel is "useless." I don't understand their thought process on that one, but more than just a few have said that to me, so who knows. I don't know very many NA 1.8 owners that mod the car at all, so I never heard anything from them.

Personally, if I could switch to a 7 or 8lb flywheel, I'd trade my 9.x one in a heartbeat.

My old '97 had the light weight (10lb iirc) Fidanza on it. My car was only 120whp, but it made it so much more fun to drive. (The ACT Xtreme clutch could handle abuse, but it abused me back in traffic) If/when I have to change clutches on the MSM, I'll go with a milder clutch, but definitely get the lightweight flywheel.
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

Thanks for the advise. Rob, i'll think about that $200 deal and let you know. Do you by chance know the weight on that Fidanza flywheel? Thanks for looking into it for me.

BTW I just reread my last post, I was half asleep. What I was trying to ask is do yall see any potential problems running a super light flywheel on an already lighter 1.6 clutch on a 1.8?? I guess it would be just that much better, but maybe a pain at the stoplights? Basically I don't know if there's a 'too light'.

It's an OEM clutch BTW.

I don't know the exact weight, no. But I'm almost positive that is the original version of the FM rebadged Fidanza flywheel I have that FM *added* weight to (circa 2003, and I even had the earlier version they sold - I think they don't use Fidanza anymore). I have the 1.8l version though, so it should be heavier than the 1.6l. I want to say mine is 9.x pounds now, but it was 10.x from FM (I removed the weight they added).

The only "negative" is that your revs will drop faster between shifts. If you like to take your sweet time shifting, that might be annoying. If your car has idle droop issues already, a lighter flywheel could make it worse (less time for the car to correct). The first few times you drive the car with a much lighter flywheel, you will probably slip the clutch a lot or stall, but after a few times you really won't notice it. Honestly, I have a terrible time driving cars without superlight flywheels now. It's like driving a puck-style clutch on the street - after a few hours of driving time, you won't even realize anything is different until you get into a different car.

People will tell you a lighter flywheel will be louder on deceleration, but I think they're just splitting hairs at that point.

As to "too light" that is all personal preference, really. I've driven a stock-ish 1.6l car with an 8lb flywheel and I loved it. Once I get my car together and get a torque figure, I will one day look for a 1.6l clutch that will hold whatever I make so I can get a 7 or 8lb flywheel in there. But that's just me.
    Last edited by Rob®; 01-26-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Ok. Man its very very tempting at this point... one more question. Does he have a photo of it? Does it have any deposits that would need to be resurfaced or anything like that, or is it drop in condition?

Got one. Thanks Rob!

Fidanza aluminum. Weighed @ 7.3lbs on our postal scale at work. I'm happy.

Pictured here next to a stock 1.6 flywheel weighing 17.7lbs on the same scale.

Rob, looking at the 2nd photo, do you think it'd be worth my time to scuff up the friction plate with some 400 sandpaper or something?

Since you're not using the same clutch, I would scuff it up if you're not going to get it cut (or replace the surface disc, which might be cheaper). I would consult the Google first though - doing it by hand with sandpaper might mess it up. I would say a light scuffing would be ideal, but I'm not basing that on anything other than "common sense" friction surface ideas...I would definitely get a few more opinions before you go doing anything to it.

http://www.gomiata.com/mamiflfrplby.html

Ouch, $80 +shipping. I think i'll stick with the homemade remedy :) Read a thread on Miata.net that suggested just a light scuffing with fine grit as long as it's not warped. Not going to take any metal off, just enough to get the clutch material off the plate. I'll do more research later so I make sure to do it right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast